Wheels and Tires

Car used too much fuel

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2020 11:30 am
Tags:
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 6, 2019
96 posts
43 upvotes

Car used too much fuel

So we have 2 cars, 2007 Altima 2.5 and 2009 Camry 2.4. Both cars have around 207k KM. The thing is that the Altima uses around 13L/100km all year around. Sometimes its get to 15L/100km in winter and 11L/100km in the summer. The Camry on the other hand is way different. In the summer it uses like 12-14L/100km. And out of nowhere, around October-November, the fuel economy slowly climbs to 15L/100km and then it reaches to 20L/100km. It shouldnt be that bad I mean its my dads car. The Camry I think has OEM spark plugs. Spark plug interval is 192K and its 207K. Its my dads car, and it has no problems so he gets its changed once there is problem. Or it can be because of cold. But the gas mileage cant be 30-40% more in winter.
Images
  • Nissan Altima.png
  • Toyota Camry.png
Last edited by Unknown18281 on Mar 2nd, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
78 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
13389 posts
13778 upvotes
Oakville
Unknown18281 wrote: So we have 2 cars, 2007 Altima 2.5 and 2009 Camry 2.4. Both cars have around 207k KM. The thing is that the Altima uses around 13L/100km all year around. Sometimes its get to 15L/100km in winter and 11L/100km in the summer. The Camry on the other hand is way different. In the summer it uses like 12-14L/100km. And out of nowhere, around October-November, the fuel economy slowly climbs to 15L/100km and then it reaches to 20L/100km. It shouldnt be that bad I mean its my dads car. The Camry I think has OEM spark plugs. Spark plug interval is 192K and its 207K. Its my dads car, and it has no problems so he gets its changed once there is problem. Or it can be because of cold. But the gas mileage cant be 30-40% more in winter.
What caused the previous spike to 20L/100km?
There are many things that could cause a rise in fuel usage.
vacuum leaks
carbon buildup
bad fuel injectors
bad o2 sensors
bad tstat
a fuel leak
etc.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
32375 posts
3179 upvotes
Winnipeg
I noticed my fuel efficiency on the civic went up after I change out the spark plugs and coils.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 7, 2007
20499 posts
4562 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Op, you need to post your dad's driving habits. Is he idli g the car for 20 minutes to get it warm? Is he driving to the corner store that is 100 metres away to play lotto? Is he driving during rush hour? Is he driving downtown Toronto?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 8, 2007
7908 posts
7852 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
New neighbour with a siphon perhaps?
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Newbie
Dec 30, 2019
34 posts
18 upvotes
It can easily be that bad depending on how it's used.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 8, 2009
3526 posts
2103 upvotes
Ontario
Has the 2.4 Camry had the pistons and rings replaced? Is it also burning oil (won't be smoking - just not much left at oil change time).
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4247 posts
4739 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Its a 4 cylinder. Plug change takes 10 minutes and $30 materials. Do it.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 15, 2009
923 posts
232 upvotes
Disconnect battery cables for period of 45 min, then reconnect. This will reset you ECU. But Radio code will have to be entered again and radio station.
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 6, 2019
96 posts
43 upvotes
engineered wrote: What caused the previous spike to 20L/100km?
There are many things that could cause a rise in fuel usage.
vacuum leaks
carbon buildup
bad fuel injectors
bad o2 sensors
bad tstat
a fuel leak
etc.
Nothin caused it to spike. It drives properly. No check engine light
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 6, 2019
96 posts
43 upvotes
cristianosham wrote: faulty coolant temperature sensor.
Car warms up properly. But sometimes, what happens is that when I warm it up, the temperature goes down slightly and then goes up when driving. Then it's normal when driving
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 6, 2019
96 posts
43 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote: Has the 2.4 Camry had the pistons and rings replaced? Is it also burning oil (won't be smoking - just not much left at oil change time).
No, never had pistons and rings replaced. I think it's burning a little bit of oil

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)