• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2020 11:30 am
Tags:
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11900 posts
6437 upvotes
Brampton
207k km on original plugs on an 11yr old Camry.
Refuses to change them but will flush $15 down on a bottle of Gumout.
Provides 0 diagnostics starting points.
0 maintenance history provided (likely the most accurate maintenance history provided)

From Brampton

It All Checks out
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3342 posts
2035 upvotes
Unknown18281 wrote: Car warms up properly. But sometimes, what happens is that when I warm it up, the temperature goes down slightly and then goes up when driving. Then it's normal when driving
The coolant temperature sensor is used to give a signal to the engine's computer to let it know whether the engine is cold (mean more fuel) or when the engine is warm (mean less fuel). So a faulty sensor could have the e gine's computer thinking its cold and waste more fuel.
I say bring it in to a garage and have a diagnosis of the problem. You are going to be spending more money than a can of gumout or just leave it be and pay the extra gas.
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
fq007 wrote: The 2009 camry are known to burn oil. There was a recall of some sort from toyota where they checked the oil level, and if I required they replaced the piston rings for free.

Have you ever gotten that check done by toyota?
Nah, I mean we did top off the oil today. My dad did but idk how much was added. Ik for sure its getting at minimum 19.9L/100km
Last edited by Unknown18281 on Mar 1st, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
tebore wrote: 207k km on original plugs on an 11yr old Camry.
Refuses to change them but will flush $15 down on a bottle of Gumout.
Provides 0 diagnostics starting points.
0 maintenance history provided (likely the most accurate maintenance history provided)

From Brampton

It All Checks out
So what should I provide u with???????. I have suggested spark plugs replacemnt, but he's like no problems. Ima suggest to check them at oil change time.
Last edited by Unknown18281 on Mar 1st, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
cristianosham wrote: The coolant temperature sensor is used to give a signal to the engine's computer to let it know whether the engine is cold (mean more fuel) or when the engine is warm (mean less fuel). So a faulty sensor could have the e gine's computer thinking its cold and waste more fuel.
I say bring it in to a garage and have a diagnosis of the problem. You are going to be spending more money than a can of gumout or just leave it be and pay the extra gas.
my dad and his friend thinks they know alot. I'm not paying, my parents are. My dad knows the car uses more gas than the Altima but he doesn't drive it often cuz he drives the Altima to work and not the Camry.
Last edited by Unknown18281 on Mar 1st, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
So guys, I can't do anything cuz it's my dad's car and I'm a 15 year old. I can't do to much. I do know about cars. We made a 50 km trip today and we're gonna fill up today. I will let u know what it's getting. Ik spark plugs cause some symptoms but is it true that if they're bad, will only cause a jump in fuel economy and no more symptoms. I mean it does sometimes have a low idle at stop. But in the summer, it's worse with a/c on. Could be the IAC Valve. The engine rattles too, but I can here it at stop in winter too. And for those of u who are saying that piston rings can be the issue, the Camry isn't under warranty.
Last edited by Unknown18281 on Mar 1st, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
engineered wrote: Just because it drives normally doesn't mean those couldn't be a problem.

10 min is a lot of wasted fuel. Ideally you should plug in a block heater or keep it in a garage.
Cars can burn 2-4L/hour idling, more when the engine is cold.
How many in does the car drive a day?

If there's carbon buildup then shell 91 may help clean it out, but if you haven't been doing it regularly then there may be too much to clean.
if u mean how much km in day. At least 30km
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15294 posts
8183 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Winter gas and how that combined with the standard Winter conditions (as well as the use of Winter tires) will cause a drop in fuel economy as early as October through the Winter months as the refineries move from Summer gas formulation to Winter and back to Summer.
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
craftsman wrote: I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Winter gas and how that combined with the standard Winter conditions (as well as the use of Winter tires) will cause a drop in fuel economy as early as October through the Winter months as the refineries move from Summer gas formulation to Winter and back to Summer.
Yea, but why I do I get like 14-15L/100km in summer tho. Probably A/C right
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15294 posts
8183 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Unknown18281 wrote: Yea, but why I do I get like 14-15L/100km in summer tho. Probably A/C right
What do you get in the Spring and Fall... so after Winter gas switches to Summer gas, Winter tires are replaced with All-seasons, and before A/C gets used regularly?
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
craftsman wrote: What do you get in the Spring and Fall... so after Winter gas switches to Summer gas, Winter tires are replaced with All-seasons, and before A/C gets used regularly?
In and around Jan to March, I get the usual 17-20L/100km. When spring comes, I get 14-16L/100km. In between March and May is when summer tires get put on. Once summer comes (20-30 degrees C weather), I get 12-14L/100km. Theres only 2-3 times that it will actually get 14-15L/100km. This continues till October. Then in October it reaches to 16L/100km. Then winter tires come on in November and then the fuel economy reaches 20L/100km. The fuel economy usuallly get worse before winter tire get put on. There are few times that the fuel mileage with go down to 15L/100km but most of the time, it stays between 18-20L/100km. We're gonna fill up today and I'm going to calculate the fuel economy
Images
  • Too much fuel.png
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1257 posts
386 upvotes
2009 Camry summer 12-14 L/100km Oct 15L/100 km Winter 20L/100km
2007 Altima summer 13L/100kim Oct 15L/100lm Winter 11L/100km

From the looks of it Summer and Oct Fuel consumption alright on both cars. Only difference is in Winter 20L to 11L. I am getting the feeling there's nothing wrong 2009 Camry. Maybe it Winter COLD and driving habits, stop and go kind of thing.

When you measure the motor oil dipstick is it at proper level. Ideally it should be 3/4 level. About 1/4 level below the FULL level.
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
MasterMK wrote: 2009 Camry summer 12-14 L/100km Oct 15L/100 km Winter 20L/100km
2007 Altima summer 13L/100kim Oct 15L/100lm Winter 11L/100km

From the looks of it Summer and Oct Fuel consumption alright on both cars. Only difference is in Winter 20L to 11L. I am getting the feeling there's nothing wrong 2009 Camry. Maybe it Winter COLD and driving habits, stop and go kind of thing.

When you measure the motor oil dipstick is it at proper level. Ideally it should be 3/4 level. About 1/4 level below the FULL level.
Its actually
2009 Camry summer 12-14 L/100km Oct 15L/100 km Winter 20L/100km
2007 Altima summer 11L/100kim Oct 15L/100lm Winter 13L/100km

Yea today the oil was little low. But why is it like 30-40% higher in winter. Ik its cuz of cold, winter fuel and denser air. But it shouldnt be that high. But the spark plugs still needs to be changed
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
What should we expect when changing spark plugs in 207k Km engine thats 11 yrs old. Interval was 192k KM and now its 207k KM
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
divx wrote: What do you mean? Just change it, straight forward job. OEM iridium plugs.
I'm not gonna change them, my dad has a friend who is gonna change them. I'm 15 years old. What are they gonna expect from me
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1257 posts
386 upvotes
The spark plug could be seized, stuck.

I was reading up on spark plug little bit. For my Civic, someone point out, spray little bit of Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster after coil boot is pulled. Let it sit overnight. Next day take it for 15 or 20 min ride. Come home, wait for engine to cool a little then open the spark plug. Little by little, going back and fourth.

On a video, they say spark plug thread could be oily due to seal on top. I haven't watched the video thoroughly yet.

I don't know how this relates to fuel consumption but something to look at.
Last edited by MasterMK on Mar 1st, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14694 posts
3177 upvotes
Toronto
I have a couple of Camry vehicles (2012 and 2014) and also had a 2002 Camry LE V6. At the mileage you have now, you should have already done the following:

- Change plugs (only use OEM)
- Check your engine air filter as well as the cabin air filter. Clogged filters can cause issues.
- Change coolant and thermostat
- I assume that you changed the Serpentine belt as that drives the Alternator, water pump, and AC system. Also check the tensioner and the idler pulley as that can explain the engine rattle. If you start the car in the cold and if you hear any chirp noises or squealing, that is a good sign of a belt problem.
- A proper injector service and throttle body cleaning would be recommended as that should also be done when you change plugs

Given that you are doing short trips, the engine will be running rich as it has not warmed up. That in itself will give you aweful fuel economy.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
hightech wrote: I have a couple of Camry vehicles (2012 and 2014) and also had a 2002 Camry LE V6. At the mileage you have now, you should have already done the following:

- Change plugs (only use OEM)
- Check your engine air filter as well as the cabin air filter. Clogged filters can cause issues.
- Change coolant and thermostat
- I assume that you changed the Serpentine belt as that drives the Alternator, water pump, and AC system. Also check the tensioner and the idler pulley as that can explain the engine rattle. If you start the car in the cold and if you hear any chirp noises or squealing, that is a good sign of a belt problem.
- A proper injector service and throttle body cleaning would be recommended as that should also be done when you change plugs

Given that you are doing short trips, the engine will be running rich as it has not warmed up. That in itself will give you aweful fuel economy.
Thx. Yes, spark plugs need to be changed. Air filter was changed at 201k KM. Cabin filter was changed somewhere around 205k I think. Coolant, I'm not sure if it's OEM but ik the thermostat is OEM. Belt was probably changed but I'm not sure when. Alternator was recently changed. Squeaky noise isnt that loud but I can hear something while the hood is closed. Idk thing the throttle body has been cleaned nor the MAF sensor
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14694 posts
3177 upvotes
Toronto
Unknown18281 wrote: Thx. Yes, spark plugs need to be changed. Air filter was changed at 201k KM. Cabin filter was changed somewhere around 205k I think. Coolant, I'm not sure if it's OEM but ik the thermostat is OEM. Belt was probably changed but I'm not sure when. Alternator was recently changed. Squeaky noise isnt that loud but I can hear something while the hood is closed. Idk thing the throttle body has been cleaned nor the MAF sensor
MAF sensor is easy to clean. It should be located behind the air filter box. Just take the 2 screws out and use this product to clean it: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/crc- ... 1704p.html

Here is the video on how to remove the sensor:

Here is how to clean it:

The guy was a little too conservative with the cleaner and I would give it a good spray for the few seconds. This way it gets all the crap out. I would also remove the negative terminal from the battery and then clean the sensor. Reconnect the terminal after the cleaning is done (give it some time to properly dry). As you drive, the vehicle will relearn the fuel/air mixture. Just be careful and don't lose the screws. Also, if the sensor has never been cleaned, the connector might be stiff to remove. I would just take a wet cloth to wipe all the dirt off the connector, press the clip down, and slowly wiggle it out. Once the connector is off, you can use the wet cloth to clean any dirt around the part that the connector plugged into.

Another good video to check out:

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless