• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2020 11:30 am
Tags:
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15403 posts
16495 upvotes
Oakville
Unknown18281 wrote: I'm not gonna change them, my dad has a friend who is gonna change them. I'm 15 years old. What are they gonna expect from me
No need to be afraid, I was changing plugs when I was 12 with my dad nearby. Now with the internet it's even easier.

Show us pics of the old plugs when you have them.
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
engineered wrote: No need to be afraid, I was changing plugs when I was 12 with my dad nearby. Now with the internet it's even easier.

Show us pics of the old plugs when you have them.
1. We don't have the tools. My dad's friend has the tools
2. Well ik how to do it, my dad won't let me do it. He will say ur small

I don't care if there old. It's my dad car, if it's bad, it's bad. It's up to him and not me
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34624 posts
4083 upvotes
Winnipeg
here is the list of proper maintenance for that milage

Replace engine air filter, TYC
Replace engine coolant
Replace engine oil and oil filter, FRAM EXTREME, PENNZOIL 5W-30 ULTRA PLAT, MAHLE OIL DRAIN PLUG GASKET
Replace spark plugs, DENSO, BOASH, CHAMPION
Replace ignition coils
Replace air conditioning filter, DENSO
Replace automatic transmission fluid ATF-T4, 24mm crush washer O.D.(outside diameter): 24 mm / 0.94 inch, I.D.(inside diameter): 18 mm / 0.71 inch, Thickness: 2 mm / 0.08 inch 90430-18008
Replace front differential oil
Replace battery
Replace alternator
Replace strut and spring assembly
Replace ball joints
4 Wheel alignment
Replace brake fluid, use DOT3 or DOT4
Replace power steering fluid
Replace valve cover gasket and spark plug gaskets
Polish headlamp
Disc brake pads & rotor, replaced disc brake pad, service calipers, brake rotors
Replace timing belt, alternator drive belt, serpentine belt
Suspension Stabilizer / Sway Bar & Bushing
Replace Cylinder head plug and EGR gasket

Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect brake lines and hoses
Inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
Inspect drive belts
Inspect drive shaft boots
Inspect engine valve clearance
Inspect exhaust pipes and mountings
Inspect front differential oil
Inspect fuel lines and connections, fuel bank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
Inspect fuel tank cap gasket
Inspect radiator core
Inspect steering gear box
Inspect steering linkage and boots
Inspect transmission fluid or oil
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11901 posts
6439 upvotes
Brampton
I was with you until the following dubious highlights. Where did you get this list?

Half that shit isn't applicable to the Camry and the other half isn't maintenance. It's flushing money down the toilet for no reason.
divx wrote: here is the list of proper maintenance for that milage

Replace engine coolant
Replace engine oil and oil filter, FRAM EXTREME, PENNZOIL 5W-30 ULTRA PLAT, MAHLE OIL DRAIN PLUG GASKET
Replace ignition coils
Replace automatic transmission fluid ATF-T4, 24mm crush washer O.D.(outside diameter): 24 mm / 0.94 inch, I.D.(inside diameter): 18 mm / 0.71 inch, Thickness: 2 mm / 0.08 inch 90430-18008
Replace battery
Replace alternator

Replace ball joints
4 Wheel alignment
Polish headlamp
Disc brake pads & rotor, replaced disc brake pad, service calipers, brake rotors

Inspect drive belts
Inspect fuel lines and connections, fuel bank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
Inspect radiator core
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes

Replace engine coolant
Replace ignition coils
Replace battery
Replace alternator
Replace ball joints
4 Wheel alignment
Polish headlamp

Inspect drive belts
Inspect radiator core
Half of the stuff u said has already been changed or doesn't need to be changed
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14700 posts
3179 upvotes
Toronto

Replace engine coolant
Replace ignition coils
Replace battery
Replace alternator
Replace ball joints
4 Wheel alignment
Polish headlamp

Inspect drive belts
Inspect radiator core
Where did you get this list? I have been driving Camry vehicles for over 18 years and never had to replace half of the stuff you mentioned at well over 216K. I would suggest that you research stuff before posting it and complicating the issue with unnecessary items.

If the poster followed the Toyota maintenance schedule and fixed issues as they arise, the relevant items would be addressed.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
hightech wrote: Where did you get this list? I have been driving Camry vehicles for over 18 years and never had to replace half of the stuff you mentioned at well over 216K. I would suggest that you research stuff before posting it and complicating the issue with unnecessary items.

If the poster followed the Toyota maintenance schedule and fixed issues as they arise, the relevant items would be addressed.
Yesterday, we filled up and the car was averaging 18.9L/100km
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3972 posts
1511 upvotes
hightech wrote:
- A proper injector service and throttle body cleaning would be recommended as that should also be done when you change plugs
I used to have a 2005 Camry LE V6, and back in the day I did an injector service and throttle body cleaning at the dealer. It made a difference in smoothness, power, and fuel efficiency.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
3972 posts
1511 upvotes
Unknown18281 wrote: Yesterday, we filled up and the car was averaging 18.9L/100km
Are you sure these numbers are right? I don't mean to doubt you, but that consumption is insane.

A 2009 Camry 2.4 is supposed to have a fuel economy L/100 km: 9.5 City / 6.2 Highway. How are you averaging 18.9 L / 100km? That is almost twice!!!

Source: https://driving.ca/toyota/camry/reviews ... camry-le-2
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11901 posts
6439 upvotes
Brampton
motomondo wrote: Are you sure these numbers are right? I don't mean to doubt you, but that consumption is insane.

A 2009 Camry 2.4 is supposed to have a fuel economy L/100 km: 9.5 City / 6.2 Highway. How are you averaging 18.9 L / 100km? That is almost twice!!!

I take it you uh don't drive in Brampton on the regular?
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
motomondo wrote: Are you sure these numbers are right? I don't mean to doubt you, but that consumption is insane.

Numbers are correct. That's what I got last tank
44.193 litres , 233.5 km
I don't know if it's cuz of cold
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1257 posts
387 upvotes
On my 2005 Civic 198430 km 1.7 litre engine. I get 237.1 km at 26.502 Litre. Fuel tank uses up 1/2 tank plus 1 mark below (half). In Brampton, no highway driving. Looks like fuel consumption is high on OP side. Maybe Camry and inner Brampton City has something to with it.

Just to check, at least open up 1 spark plug and check if motor oil is covered on thread. Some Camry has a problem of Oil going into piston ring area. So we assume it is also in combustion chamber where spark plug ignites.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14700 posts
3179 upvotes
Toronto
OP mentioned that they "warm up the car 5 to 10 min". On newer vehicles this does not need to be done. I would just start the car, wait 20 seconds to make sure the oil is pumped in the engine and drive away. Warming the car can cause issues on FI vehicles. This is not the old Dodge of the 70's that you had to do this.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
hightech wrote: OP mentioned that they "warm up the car 5 to 10 min". On newer vehicles this does not need to be done. I would just start the car, wait 20 seconds to make sure the oil is pumped in the engine and drive away. Warming the car can cause issues on FI vehicles. This is not the old Dodge of the 70's that you had to do this.
we got a remote starter installed
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14272 posts
8710 upvotes
Toronto
For someone who's 15 and can't drive, how do you know so much about the fuel efficiency of cars that you do not own or drive? How are you properly calculating these figures? Are you looking at some screen? Is your dad driving for uber/taxi and you tag along or he's great at keeping records for tax season?

Legit question(s).
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1257 posts
387 upvotes
Bit more on spark plug, two gaskets could be worn out (Valve cover gasket and inner gasket (coil boot)

The other thing you could do is clean the Oxygen Sensor. On youtube they show it soaking in some kind of solution overnight, then blowing it dry with hair dryer. Oxygen sensor is known for low gas mileage.
Cheap way of cleaning fuel injector system is by buying Motomaster Formula 1 fuel injector cleaner. When filling up an empty fuel tank pour in 90 ml of Formula 1. Then repeat every 2nd tank (4 times).
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
koffey wrote: For someone who's 15 and can't drive, how do you know so much about the fuel efficiency of cars that you do not own or drive? How are you properly calculating these figures? Are you looking at some screen? Is your dad driving for uber/taxi and you tag along or he's great at keeping records for tax season?

Legit question(s).
Well, everytime my parents fill up, I find out the trip reading and the litres filled and divide them and times it by 100. No my dad does not drive taxi/uber
I just look at the litres filled on the receipt and when the trip was rested. That's how I find it