Car used too much fuel

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2020 11:30 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
MasterMK wrote: Bit more on spark plug, two gaskets could be worn out (Valve cover gasket and inner gasket (coil boot)

The other thing you could do is clean the Oxygen Sensor. On youtube they show it soaking in some kind of solution overnight, then blowing it dry with hair dryer. Oxygen sensor is known for low gas mileage.
Cheap way of cleaning fuel injector system is by buying Motomaster Formula 1 fuel injector cleaner. When filling up an empty fuel tank pour in 90 ml of Formula 1. Then repeat every 2nd tank (4 times).
but if the valve cover gasket is worn, won't it cause a cylinder misfire. Plus we added gumout all in one cleaner yesterday
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1256 posts
386 upvotes
If oil is getting to the spark plug thread area. Then most likely suspect would be inner gasket (around coil boot). If your removing that inner gasket. Some guys tend to say, do the valve cover gasket too. Since valve cover is removed. Kind of like saying killing two birds at same time.

My brother, had my car opened up to replace cam shaft sensor. I told him over the phone since the valve cover is off, it is good idea to do valve cover gasket. But he didn't do it, probably because nothing was leaking. I also read, that apply gasket sealer paste in four corner of valve cover is good idea. Probably prevents it from moving. But it might provide gap for oil leak.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14272 posts
8710 upvotes
Toronto
Unknown18281 wrote: Well, everytime my parents fill up, I find out the trip reading and the litres filled and divide them and times it by 100. No my dad does not drive taxi/uber
I just look at the litres filled on the receipt and when the trip was rested. That's how I find it
When I was 15, I was not concerned about fuel economy, not in the least interested. I'm officially interested in your future career. Family account? Mechanic? EPA member?

:lol:
Unknown18281 wrote: but if the valve cover gasket is worn, won't it cause a cylinder misfire. Plus we added gumout all in one cleaner yesterday
Stuff is garbage. Worn valve covers will affect performance, shuddering, CEL, not necessary cause a misfire.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15396 posts
16462 upvotes
Oakville
Unknown18281 wrote: 1. We don't have the tools. My dad's friend has the tools
2. Well ik how to do it, my dad won't let me do it. He will say ur small

I don't care if there old. It's my dad car, if it's bad, it's bad. It's up to him and not me
Well, you do care because your tracking the mileage and posting here. If you don't care, then that's a bad attitude that won't serve you well in life.

Does the car track the fuel economy onboard with the trip computer? If so, what's the reading there?
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
engineered wrote: Well, you do care because your tracking the mileage and posting here. If you don't care, then that's a bad attitude that won't serve you well in life.

Does the car track the fuel economy onboard with the trip computer? If so, what's the reading there?
The car does not have a onboard computer that tracks the fuel economy.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5602 posts
3169 upvotes
Toronto
Lol do you ride with papa to every fill-up?

You're able to track usage/fill-ups and maintenance due items but not the obvious that idling wastes gas, especially for up to 10 minutes.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
BeaverLiquor wrote: Lol do you ride with papa to every fill-up?

You're able to track usage/fill-ups and maintenance due items but not the obvious that idling wastes gas, especially for up to 10 minutes.
K this is what I do
1. Cuz when I go to school, I check when the trip was rested ( at what mileage). Then I subtract that from the previous mileage
2. Then I add take the litres on the receipt and divide then times 100.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4040 posts
3388 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Unknown18281 wrote: we got a remote starter installed
This is probably the biggest culprit for poor fuel economy. Using this for 10 minutes before driving off is contributing to your bad fuel economy in the winter.

You’re probably using 1 to 2 litres per week for zero kms travelled.

When was it installed? Do you have fuel usage stats recorded for before it was installed in order to compare?
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: This is probably the biggest culprit for poor fuel economy. Using this for 10 minutes before driving off is contributing to your bad fuel economy in the winter.

You’re probably using 1 to 2 litres per week for zero kms travelled.

When was it installed? Do you have fuel usage stats recorded for before it was installed in order to compare?
It was installed on Dec 8 2019. Nope no difference cause the car got 20.02L/100km 2 days before it was installed.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20709 posts
4842 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Op, the mileage your dad's car is normal. What's causing the abnormal consumption is the idling in the morning and the short drive to drop you off to school and back home. And this is repeated in the afternoon when they come and pick you up. Idling the car to warm it before leaving home. Idling the car to keep them warm while waiting for you. And the short drive back to home. Short drives and idling will not give you good fuel economy. The same happens in summer. Instead of running the heater, run the air conditioning. Since you are so concerned about fuel consumption, maybe persuade your parents to sell the two cars and buy a couple used Prius.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15396 posts
16462 upvotes
Oakville
Unknown18281 wrote: It was installed on Dec 8 2019. Nope no difference cause the car got 20.02L/100km 2 days before it was installed.
Are you saying that idling the car for 10 min uses no fuel?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20709 posts
4842 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Mods need to lock this thread. Op is trolling
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20709 posts
4842 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Lol. Now what mod moved this to Wheels & Tires???
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4040 posts
3388 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Unknown18281 wrote: It was installed on Dec 8 2019. Nope no difference cause the car got 20.02L/100km 2 days before it was installed.
This makes no sense. Since Dec 8th it should have gotten worse because it’s been colder since then + using the remote start is wasteful.

I’m starting to wonder if it’s your record keeping and calculations that are off....
[OP]
Jul 6, 2019
401 posts
226 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: This makes no sense. Since Dec 8th it should have gotten worse because it’s been colder since then + using the remote start is wasteful.

I’m starting to wonder if it’s your record keeping and calculations that are off....
We still warm up the car before remote starter was installed
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4040 posts
3388 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Unknown18281 wrote: We still warm up the car before remote starter was installed
How far back does your data go? Was it better in 2018 and has been getting worse?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15396 posts
16462 upvotes
Oakville
engineered wrote: Are you saying that idling the car for 10 min uses no fuel?
OP is avoiding the important questions. Maybe he is a troll?

You can also bet that they idle for much longer than 10 min. Probably more like 15-25min judging by what I see with my neighbours. Sometimes even 40min while they shovel the driveway.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14272 posts
8710 upvotes
Toronto
Wheels and Tires. Where threads go to die.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯