Automotive

Car Won't Start What Could Possible Reasons Be?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2020 9:49 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 28, 2019
640 posts
286 upvotes

Car Won't Start What Could Possible Reasons Be?

Hi

Back in February my car would not start and got to towed to a mechanic who thought it was the starter so I replaced it, had no problems for the 3 weeks I was driving it then the pandemic hit and I had no where to drive it to and lost my job, I stopped driving and actually put storage insurance on it to save money. I would on a weekly to bi-weekly basis start up the car and drive it around the parking lot for about 20 to 30mins.

I went to check today as everything is opening up and I want to put my insurance back on. Now the car won't start up. I put in the key and turn for ignition and nothing happens, It sounded like it was trying to start up (vs in the past no turning over sound like in Feb), the music and stuff came on so it seemed like I had power.

I went away thinking maybe the battery is on it's last legs sitting there for so long and already being 5.5 years old. When my wife came home a few hours later I went with her car to jump my car. It did not help at all and I now hear no turning over sound, and nothing really comes on expect I see the oil change icon come on but I can't turn on the music or anything.

I probably will have to get it towed to a mechanic and get it checked out but want to know what the possible problems could be. The car is 2008 mazda 3 and when it died back in February I was already on the fence of putting more money into the car at that time but did it because I needed a car for work and a car while I looked for a new one. I was planning to sell it by the end of summer so really not sure what do at this time.
26 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 12, 2012
2838 posts
2484 upvotes
Toronto
Could be battery or alternator, if you have CAA they can come check without you having to pay a tow truck.
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2006
856 posts
475 upvotes
if you havent been driving the car. the battery has drained out best to charge up the battery or boost it
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 10, 2005
10948 posts
4247 upvotes
If it's an older vehicle I highly recommend you get CAA. They will come over and check the battery, starter and alternator and give you some advice on next steps. Most likely your battery was on it's last leg and may need to be replaced.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3317 posts
932 upvotes
Vaughan
I'm going with battery on this one.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 28, 2019
640 posts
286 upvotes
zobi123 wrote: Could be battery or alternator, if you have CAA they can come check without you having to pay a tow truck.
I have Canadian Tire Roadside assistance, I guessing they would do the same things?
iGarage wrote: if you havent been driving the car. the battery has drained out best to charge up the battery or boost it
I did a boost using my wife's car and did not help.
phuviano wrote: I'm going with battery on this one.
I am thinking that as well but since I had starter issues a few months ago, it does give me pause. It could be the battery is just hanging on there as my headlights do turn on but maybe it does not have enough to turn on the car.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12788 posts
7481 upvotes
Brampton
You are jumping it correctly right? Other car running, red red, black black?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 8, 2007
9248 posts
10815 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Agreed with dead battery and in need of replacement is most likely.

Then when trying to boost potentially done incorrectly (bad ground etc).

Also, sounds like it was potentially the issue back in Feb but they got you for a new starter or the weak battery existed at that time also.

I’ve had more batteries die in the summer heat than in the winter oddly enough. Add in the lack of driving and no trickle charger plus 5.5 year old battery.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
7573 posts
5739 upvotes
Ottawa
Battery. 5 1/2 years is young for a battery to go but it happens. It could also be a grounding wire.

To jump, do this:
  • both cars off
  • red + post on dead battery to red + post on good battery.
  • black - from the good battery to ground of the dead car (find a metal part of the engine block)
  • make sure all connections are snug and not on greasy, dirty or painted surfaces and that no cables are in the path of anything that moves when the cars are turned on
  • turn the working car on and let it run for 2-5 minutes - this "charges" the dead battery
  • start the dead car. If it doesn't start right away, let it rest a couple of minutes between attempts
  • when you're done, remove the cables in reverse order, black dead and black good then red dead and red good
If this doesn't work, get a CAA membership.
Newbie
Oct 28, 2008
59 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
I had the same problem around winter time
It turned out needed to replace the battery
My mechanic helped me to get a new one since it's under the 10 yrs warranty
So better to check the warranty on yours before paying for a new one
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 16, 2007
1543 posts
801 upvotes
bad battery + old gas
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
14949 posts
11383 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Battery, go to Costco and pick up a Kirkland Battery.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
12923 posts
4531 upvotes
Ontario
+1

you need to let it sit turned on for 5min at least to get some power into the battery and then try to start it If you try to start it right away there is likely not enough power or the battery is so bad that its not going to work.

Since the battery is over 5 years old it would not be a bad idea to buy a new battery from Costco regardless if that's the issue or not as you will likely need to replace it soon anyways.
CaptSmethwick wrote: Battery. 5 1/2 years is young for a battery to go but it happens. It could also be a grounding wire.

To jump, do this:
  • both cars off
  • red + post on dead battery to red + post on good battery.
  • black - from the good battery to ground of the dead car (find a metal part of the engine block)
  • make sure all connections are snug and not on greasy, dirty or painted surfaces and that no cables are in the path of anything that moves when the cars are turned on
  • turn the working car on and let it run for 2-5 minutes - this "charges" the dead battery
  • start the dead car. If it doesn't start right away, let it rest a couple of minutes between attempts
  • when you're done, remove the cables in reverse order, black dead and black good then red dead and red good
If this doesn't work, get a CAA membership.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8178 posts
5091 upvotes
Mississauga
Modern cars have a lot of parasitic draws so at 5 years the battery was probably approaching end of life. And having the car sit for weeks on end without driving it was the final nail in coffin.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
7613 posts
4242 upvotes
West GTEH!
jimbob12341 wrote: Hi

Back in February my car would not start and got to towed to a mechanic who thought it was the starter so I replaced it, had no problems for the 3 weeks I was driving it then the pandemic hit and I had no where to drive it to and lost my job, I stopped driving and actually put storage insurance on it to save money. I would on a weekly to bi-weekly basis start up the car and drive it around the parking lot for about 20 to 30mins.

I went to check today as everything is opening up and I want to put my insurance back on. Now the car won't start up. I put in the key and turn for ignition and nothing happens, It sounded like it was trying to start up (vs in the past no turning over sound like in Feb), the music and stuff came on so it seemed like I had power.

I went away thinking maybe the battery is on it's last legs sitting there for so long and already being 5.5 years old. When my wife came home a few hours later I went with her car to jump my car. It did not help at all and I now hear no turning over sound, and nothing really comes on expect I see the oil change icon come on but I can't turn on the music or anything.

I probably will have to get it towed to a mechanic and get it checked out but want to know what the possible problems could be. The car is 2008 mazda 3 and when it died back in February I was already on the fence of putting more money into the car at that time but did it because I needed a car for work and a car while I looked for a new one. I was planning to sell it by the end of summer so really not sure what do at this time.
What's the year & make & model of your car?
This info might help if other RFD members have the same car and MAY have similar issues that could help fix the problem.
😎
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 28, 2019
640 posts
286 upvotes
tebore wrote: You are jumping it correctly right? Other car running, red red, black black?
cartfan123 wrote: Agreed with dead battery and in need of replacement is most likely.

Then when trying to boost potentially done incorrectly (bad ground etc).

Also, sounds like it was potentially the issue back in Feb but they got you for a new starter or the weak battery existed at that time also.

I’ve had more batteries die in the summer heat than in the winter oddly enough. Add in the lack of driving and no trickle charger plus 5.5 year old battery.
Possible I did it wrong, I done jumps in the past and watched a youtube video to double check I still remembered right. I will do it one more time just good measure.

When I got it towed to the mechanic, the battery seemed fine and the roadside assistance guy did not seem to think it was the battery are well. Also since I towed the car to the mechanic in the evening and when they went to start the car the next morning the car turned on just fine so a dead battery probably would not do that.

jeff840322 wrote: I had the same problem around winter time
It turned out needed to replace the battery
My mechanic helped me to get a new one since it's under the 10 yrs warranty
So better to check the warranty on yours before paying for a new one
My battery had 3 year full warranty and 6 year prorated warranty, so I might get a few bucks back but not much.
Webhead wrote:
What's the year & make & model of your car?
This info might help if other RFD members have the same car and MAY have similar issues that could help fix the problem.
Mazda 3, 2008
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12788 posts
7481 upvotes
Brampton
jimbob12341 wrote: Possible I did it wrong, I done jumps in the past and watched a youtube video to double check I still remembered right. I will do it one more time just good measure.

When I got it towed to the mechanic, the battery seemed fine and the roadside assistance guy did not seem to think it was the battery are well. Also since I towed the car to the mechanic in the evening and when they went to start the car the next morning the car turned on just fine so a dead battery probably would not do that.




My battery had 3 year full warranty and 6 year prorated warranty, so I might get a few bucks back but not much.



Mazda 3, 2008
Just checking. Because sometimes people turn the other car off while cranking the dead car. What ends up happening sometimes is now you have two cars that need a jump.

It could be your starter again. It's not impossible for a rebuild to go bad a month or two after replacement. I had it happen before.
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2006
856 posts
475 upvotes
ohhhh wait its a MAZDA make sure the P for park is light is on the cluster if that doesnt light up it wont start

you would have to step on the brake turn the car to on position then put it in to neutral then it would start
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 28, 2019
640 posts
286 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Battery, go to Costco and pick up a Kirkland Battery.
Why do you recommend costco for the battery over other places (some places will install the battery for you but I am guessing costco would not?)? What is their return policy? If I pop it in and my car still does not start can I return it?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
14949 posts
11383 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
With Costco, you can return anything...even after 20 years.
jimbob12341 wrote: Why do you recommend costco for the battery over other places (some places will install the battery for you but I am guessing costco would not?)? What is their return policy? If I pop it in and my car still does not start can I return it?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Top