[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10135 posts
12112 upvotes
Vancouver

car2go leaving Canada and US

Got this email from ShareNow (formerly car2go) today:

It’s with a heavy heart that we must share that our last day of SHARE NOW service in North America, which includes the Vancouver area, will be February 29, 2020.

This decision was made based on two extremely complicated realities. The first being the volatile state of the global mobility landscape, and the second being the rising infrastructure complexities facing North American transportation today and the associated costs needed to sustain operations here. Ultimately, we are not in a position to commit to the level of investment necessary to make the North American market successful.

That is too bad, it is quite a popular service here. They have operations in Vancouver, Montreal, and four American cities. I am a member and use it occasionally. It sure is cheaper than owning a second car.
22 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12100 posts
6989 upvotes
Markham
Losing Car2go in Vancouver is a huge loss IMO. When I visited Vancouver, Car2go was fantastic and very accessible. I did use EVO as well but if EVO doesn't add a whole bunch of cars I can see how finding a car is going to be a lot more difficult.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4794 posts
699 upvotes
Burlington
No clue who they are, never used. And I travel a decent amount through North America.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2577 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto, ON
They got butthurt in Toronto and left a year ago already. Who cares
Dec 31, 2010
888 posts
349 upvotes
Richmond Hill
People in Vancouver do, as we still do not have rideshare like Uber and Lyft, and car ownership is crazy expensive if you live downtown, and Car2go provides a pretty great alternative to both..
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2310 posts
787 upvotes
Burnaby
I use Modo personally as Car2go and Evo are non-existent really in Burnaby. I only use the car share service as a winter beater on the very few snow days we do get in Metro Vancouver. Sometimes in New West i see like 6 Evo's in a half a block on the same side of the street, a bit of a nuisance I would say as they can take up all the available street parking. Less options and choice does suck for the consumer.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10135 posts
12112 upvotes
Vancouver
amplified wrote: I use Modo personally as Car2go and Evo are non-existent really in Burnaby.
The big advantage car2go has over modo is the ability to pick up and drop off the car in two different places. Modo makes you return the car to the same place.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
Too bad. It was a great revenue stream for the city of Toronto with all the parking tickets this company got.

:lol:
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20031 posts
5419 upvotes
Good Morning
koffey wrote: Too bad. It was a great revenue stream for the city of Toronto with all the parking tickets this company got.

:lol:
I'm pretty sure they left with a huge mass of unpaid tickets in Toronto. A few mill if I recall the news report when it happened.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
coriolis wrote: I'm pretty sure they left with a huge mass of unpaid tickets in Toronto. A few mill if I recall the news report when it happened.
No doubt. But I'm sure the city did get some revenue from it, unlike out of province tickets.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1328 posts
826 upvotes
Toronto
Unlucky... but I do remember seeing that Lyft is coming to Vancouver when I went recently...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9158 posts
1291 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Car rental and ride-share wasn't exactly the same thing even if their uses did overlap. Like I don't own a car and used car2go for things like Costco trips which ended up being much cheaper than renting an Uber or Lyft to and from. For occasional use it had its place but I can see how it would be a difficult business model. In Montreal we still have Communauto but I always preferred car2go's system.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6128 posts
4740 upvotes
koffey wrote: No doubt. But I'm sure the city did get some revenue from it, unlike out of province tickets.
They left Calgary when they complained City Hall charges them too much for parking.

But they are not in good shape and none of them want to devalue their brand in North America especially once Smart is now gone. Love those GLA/CLAs where they were around. They are sometimes cheaper than parking rates in downtown.

I like them less in Vancouver because you can't ditch them anywhere you like compared to Calgary.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Losing Car2go in Vancouver is a huge loss IMO. When I visited Vancouver, Car2go was fantastic and very accessible. I did use EVO as well but if EVO doesn't add a whole bunch of cars I can see how finding a car is going to be a lot more difficult.
Having both Car2go and Evo, I have to say I HIGHLY prefer Evo.
I don't know about car numbers, but it's generally fairly easy to find either depending on where/when.
Obviously if you're going in the "same" direction as everyone else just before/after work you're gonna have a bad time, but otherwise it's not bad.
Evo however has a MUCH higher coverage area and has "sub" areas like Metrotown, Airport, and New West. I think they're expanding to other areas too.
Car2go pulled airport and seems to be shrinking (well actually is shrinking to nothing but I mean before pulling out)

And as much as I hate Prius, I hated the Fortwo even more.
I still never got to ever drive one of the Benz since I swear there's only like 2 of them in the entire city.
ZeroToHero wrote: People in Vancouver do, as we still do not have rideshare like Uber and Lyft, and car ownership is crazy expensive if you live downtown, and Car2go provides a pretty great alternative to both..
Evo isn't going anywhere. Also Modo especially if you're considering an alternative to ownership.
Evo/Car2go was great because it's a one way thing, but if you're replacing a car (read: usually originating and terminating in the same spot) Modo is far cheaper.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12100 posts
6989 upvotes
Markham
death_hawk wrote: Having both Car2go and Evo, I have to say I HIGHLY prefer Evo.
I don't know about car numbers, but it's generally fairly easy to find either depending on where/when.
Obviously if you're going in the "same" direction as everyone else just before/after work you're gonna have a bad time, but otherwise it's not bad.
Evo however has a MUCH higher coverage area and has "sub" areas like Metrotown, Airport, and New West. I think they're expanding to other areas too.
Car2go pulled airport and seems to be shrinking (well actually is shrinking to nothing but I mean before pulling out)

And as much as I hate Prius, I hated the Fortwo even more.
I still never got to ever drive one of the Benz since I swear there's only like 2 of them in the entire city.

Evo isn't going anywhere. Also Modo especially if you're considering an alternative to ownership.
Evo/Car2go was great because it's a one way thing, but if you're replacing a car (read: usually originating and terminating in the same spot) Modo is far cheaper.
I used whatever was closest to me when I was vacationing in Vancouver. I did like Prius over the Fortwo car drivewise but when you're looking to park and "end" your trip, it was easier to find parking for a Car2go Fortwo vehicle.

@Canoek - if the City of Toronto did the right thing, they would've opened up parking for a reasonable price to improve the Car2go service. City of Toronto charges next to nothing /yr for the residents to park their car on the streets with permits...they protested because they were going to lose some spots not entirely realizing that having Car2go spots on their street meant they can access cars easily whenever they wanted to take a car. Car2go sharing could've meant less car ownership if there was a better alternative to the unreliable TTC service.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: I used whatever was closest to me when I was vacationing in Vancouver. I did like Prius over the Fortwo car drivewise but when you're looking to park and "end" your trip, it was easier to find parking for a Car2go Fortwo vehicle.
In Vancouver specifically (as in City of Vancouver) it's even easier now that all metered spots are eligible.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2577 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gr8dlr wrote: I used whatever was closest to me when I was vacationing in Vancouver. I did like Prius over the Fortwo car drivewise but when you're looking to park and "end" your trip, it was easier to find parking for a Car2go Fortwo vehicle.

@Canoek - if the City of Toronto did the right thing, they would've opened up parking for a reasonable price to improve the Car2go service. City of Toronto charges next to nothing /yr for the residents to park their car on the streets with permits...they protested because they were going to lose some spots not entirely realizing that having Car2go spots on their street meant they can access cars easily whenever they wanted to take a car. Car2go sharing could've meant less car ownership if there was a better alternative to the unreliable TTC service.
No thank you. I would rather keep my spot than sell it to the highest bidder. Good riddance to car2go.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18826 posts
2102 upvotes
It's too bad. I have used Evo and Car2Go to and from the airport. I prefer to drive myself over taking a taxi or Uber/Lyft.

From my understanding, Car2Go is doing well in Vancouver but with no other market in North America able to sustain it it's gone

I hope Evo will pick up the slack.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed