• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2021 10:26 am
[OP]
Jul 11, 2009
848 posts
581 upvotes
Calgary

Carbon steel wok/stirfry pan

Anyone have a recommendation for a good non stick frying wok/pan without the teflon coating?

Seem to be a few good ones on amazon, but in the $70 range, but some reviews still indicate some kind of coating.

I have my eye on this one: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07RJ39JVL/?co ... _lig_dp_it
15 replies
[OP]
Jul 11, 2009
848 posts
581 upvotes
Calgary
Which city is this? Im in Calgary.

Also I read that hammered steel adds to the non stick properties, but increases costs.
Last edited by ben35 on Jan 28th, 2021 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6088 posts
2692 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Non-stick, you have to work on the seasoning. Is there a Chinese shopping area are where you are? Time to go look.

IKEA has a line of carbon steel sauté/fry pans.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Jul 11, 2009
848 posts
581 upvotes
Calgary
I'll have to check out some places in our Chinatown.

The Ikea site is only showing teflon coated woks.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6088 posts
2692 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Do you need a flat bottom or have gas so a round one will do? The IkEA caron steel pans are flat bottom and more like de Bruyer knockoffs.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12553 posts
7293 upvotes
Markham
ben35 wrote: Which city is this? Im in Calgary.

Also I read that hammered steel adds to the non stick properties, but increases costs.
Please fix/update your location on your profile to CALGARY....unless you're on the witness relocation program.

I actually like the "marble/stone" like finish woks - you can find them Asian grocers or if you know a Korean store, that is better.

They look like this one and a Wok size will go for under $30 IIRC.

https://www.amazon.ca/Granite-Coating-N ... 2224102011
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1420 posts
469 upvotes
Ottawa
Don't buy that one on Amazon. You will never be able to season it properly.

Just buy any cheap carbon steel wok. And don't worry about whenever it is hammered or not. Everyone in Asia has a wok and seldom they have a hammered wok.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12553 posts
7293 upvotes
Markham
csi123 wrote: Don't buy that one on Amazon. You will never be able to season it properly.

Just buy any cheap carbon steel wok. And don't worry about whenever it is hammered or not. Everyone in Asia has a wok and seldom they have a hammered wok.
If you're referencing the one I posted ie granite coating...it's a non-stick (not teflon) coating so you don't season it.

Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1420 posts
469 upvotes
Ottawa
gr8dlr wrote: If you're referencing the one I posted ie granite coating...it's a non-stick (not teflon) coating so you don't season it.
Should have been more clear. I was referring to the one OP posted. You wont be able to season the wok properly with all those small indentations.

As for the "granite" coating, I thought they are just still PTFE (Teflon is one brand of PTFE).

https://therationalkitchen.com/nonstick ... tab-con-13
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12553 posts
7293 upvotes
Markham
csi123 wrote: Should have been more clear. I was referring to the one OP posted. You wont be able to season the wok properly with all those small indentations.

As for the "granite" coating, I thought they are just still PTFE (Teflon is one brand of PTFE).

https://therationalkitchen.com/nonstick ... tab-con-13
Article says contradictory stuff...

It's marketed as a "granite" product, BUT the truth is that granitium is just a brand name of PTFE. BUT there's a little more to it than that.. Two BUTS... Is that like a double negative?

Granitium nonstick coating contains small pieces of extremely hard ceramic which creates a rough texture. The rough texture is caused by the ceramic particles protruding from the coating. By doing so, they protect the PTFE from the wear and tear of utensils, abrasive cleaners, and more.

So if the ceramic is on top of the PTFE... Isn't it protected? It's kind of like saying aluminum is still dangerous even though it sandwiches between stainless steel in my stainless pans? I'm not a chemist so that article is not conclusive to me. Added to that I'm not heat blasting the granite wok.

This is my current wok of choice... It's a lot longer lasting than regular TFal pans.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6088 posts
2692 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
gr8dlr wrote:
So if the ceramic is on top of the PTFE... Isn't it protected? It's kind of like saying aluminum is still dangerous even though it sandwiches between stainless steel in my stainless pans?
Depends how impermeable the ceramic layer is and how leakproof. Meal cladding should be impermeable and leakproof. Could be harder to discern with the ceramic material.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1420 posts
469 upvotes
Ottawa
gr8dlr wrote: So if the ceramic is on top of the PTFE... Isn't it protected? It's kind of like saying aluminum is still dangerous even though it sandwiches between stainless steel in my stainless pans? I'm not a chemist so that article is not conclusive to me. Added to that I'm not heat blasting the granite wok.

This is my current wok of choice... It's a lot longer lasting than regular TFal pans.
It's longer lasting, but not any more healthier if that's the concern. The ceramic is "on top" of the PTFE, but it isn't completely covering it, hence the "granite" look.

Unlike a pan with an encapsulated base (i.e. aluminum sandwiched in steel), there isn't any point to sandwich the PTFE between the ceramic and the pan. The PTFE is meant to be a coating. If the ceramic is completely covering the PTFE you may as well not have the PTFE.

So for people who is worrying about Teflon coating coming off into their food, the "granite" coated pans are not for them either. Both the ceramic and the PTFE will eventually come off, and the PTFE in these "granite" coated pans are still in contact with the food all the time.
Dec 11, 2012
270 posts
644 upvotes
Waterloo
ben35 wrote: Anyone have a recommendation for a good non stick frying wok/pan without the teflon coating?

Seem to be a few good ones on amazon, but in the $70 range, but some reviews still indicate some kind of coating.

I have my eye on this one: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07RJ39JVL/?co ... _lig_dp_it
Check Winners and Homesense whenever you are there. Got most of mine from there.

Recently picked up a Dexam heavy gauge 14 inch for about $20. Its amazing and compares to my more expensive ones as well. Got it in December in Ontario but saw it last time I was in Edmonton a few months ago. They also usually come and go.