Food & Drink

Cardboard straws are icky.... *welp*

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 8:50 pm
Tags:
Nov 1, 2009
918 posts
264 upvotes
Instead of cardboard straws why not use spout type lid instead.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10809 posts
1416 upvotes
I'm surprised A&W would do this. They put so much effort into their namesake by keeping it at an optimal temperature and also using chilled mugs. Then ruin it with a paper straw.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6087 posts
3313 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 4:07 pm
I'm surprised A&W would do this. They put so much effort into their namesake by keeping it at an optimal temperature and also using chilled mugs. Then ruin it with a paper straw.
Public pressure to be seen as good corporate citizens is a lot stronger than the desire for "optimal" straw experience with a rootbeer.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3698 posts
1318 upvotes
Mississauga
Or how about using no straw at all? The last couple of times we’ve been to a sit-down restaurant our soft drinks were served without a straw. If you want one you have to ask for one.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39854 posts
3920 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 4:07 pm
How does it taste better with a straW? I like drinking it out of a cold glass mug... no straw.
May 21, 2015
611 posts
284 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
As another old fart here,, we had paper straws in the 50/s and 60s and they weren't like those awful things at A&W.. They were thin paper like a thin plastic straw, not a piece of rolled cardboard. terrible.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10809 posts
1416 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 6:49 pm
How does it taste better with a straW? I like drinking it out of a cold glass mug... no straw.
You got a point there.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3691 posts
1393 upvotes
eventually they will have to ante up and make straws from bamboo fibers. So far they are resisting because of cost.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4859 posts
856 upvotes
Mississauga
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 6:49 pm
i have used straws since childhood.... my dentist told me to.... if you must drink pop.. use straw cuz citric acid erodes your teeth..
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4859 posts
856 upvotes
Mississauga
ds2chan wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 9:57 am
The Toronto Zoo has cardboard straws too. They get soggy and unusable so quickly. Either drink directly from the cup or just buy reusable straws. That's what I started doing.
agree....i must have used 5 straws in 15 mins at the zoo... it was gross
Penalty Box
Mar 22, 2017
270 posts
230 upvotes
More stupidity introduced because of these idiotic environmental extremists. Getting rid of plastic straws is yet another example of how they are trying to completely destroy our modern conveniences and way of life.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1348 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
fattyburger11 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 11:37 pm
How are the paper straws done? Are they wax paper? This appears to be an engineering problem more than anything. The cups used in most fast food joints are paper cups. So it's not that paper sucks. It just needs to be done right. With cups, they are wax coated with the ends rolled and so are waterproof. You hardly hear about paper cups getting soggy. So how are they implementing the paper straws? I've never gone to a joint that uses these things yet. I should go to A&W to see their paper straws one day while taking advantage of the $3 deal they have now.
The straws are not coated with anything. They're like paper towel rolls or toilet paper rolls. Just cardboard. They were meant to break down because people throw the plastic straws on the ground and the animals try to eat them (I think that's what the Zoo posted; it's mainly because of the littering).
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13675 posts
2336 upvotes
Toronto
fattyburger11 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 11:27 am
That's dumb then. These so called green solutions need to fulfill and serve it's primary function first. If it can't do that, then you shouldn't deploy the product in the real world. Which means these straws should not get soggy at all during use. Forcing something that isn't ready means they have gone 'green-tard'.
So then, if lucky, maybe another burger place will study the A&W straw and improve on it? Should I hold my breath... lol
Aug 26, 2018
375 posts
386 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 12:25 pm
So then, if lucky, maybe another burger place will study the A&W straw and improve on it? Should I hold my breath... lol
Best to control one's breathing to reduce carbon footprint. Don't want to exhale too much CO2 into the air just being alive.

Or maybe other burger places don't want to piss off their customers with a bad experience so they stick with what works, i.e. plastic straws.

The funny thing is, those who yap and complain to the burger chains about being more green are probably the vegan or organic food types who will never eat at the greasy fast food joints in the first place. And then you have the virtue signaling executives at fast food joints placating to the whiners who are not their customers, meanwhile pissing off their actual paying customers with a crappy experience.

That's why you tell the green people to go cry a river and pump out more plastic straws. Or at least don't compromise on performance for an environmentally friendly alternative. However I think they will find making a functional green alternative that performs might cost way more than plastic straws and that their customers prefer cheaper burgers than more expensive ones just to be green.