Cardboard straws are icky.... *welp*

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2019 1:35 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
4467 posts
1730 upvotes
MCD and the rest are simply too large of companies to let a paper straw ruin the fast dining experience. Im guessing by summer we'll see a free alternative from the big chains.
Jul 6, 2008
879 posts
208 upvotes
GTA
I really hate paper straws too, they get soggy... Id rather drink with no straw vs a paper one.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14086 posts
2509 upvotes
Toronto
fattyburger11 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 1:41 pm
The funny thing is, those who yap and complain to the burger chains about being more green are probably the vegan or organic food types who will never eat at the greasy fast food joints in the first place.
You might have a point. Is it a coincidence that they introduce a "Beyond burger" then suddenly have paper straws?
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
4731 posts
4587 upvotes
Vancouver
Why use a straw at all? Nobody ever drinks beer, wine, coffee, or tea with a straw, even while out. And when we're at home few people use straws for our soft drinks either, we just sip from a cup. So why the need to use a straw at the fast food joint? I've never understood this.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5099 posts
1005 upvotes
Mississauga
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 9:24 am
Why use a straw at all? Nobody ever drinks beer, wine, coffee, or tea with a straw, even while out. And when we're at home few people use straws for our soft drinks either, we just sip from a cup. So why the need to use a straw at the fast food joint? I've never understood this.
citric acid erodes teeth... that's one reason...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14086 posts
2509 upvotes
Toronto
Kiraly wrote:
Why use a straw at all?
Home environment is very different from a restaurant environment.
A straw makes the beverage last longer.
In restaurants that offer complimentary free refills, the idea is to make that glass of pop last as long as possible.
Without the straw, people tend to gulp more.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4021 posts
1509 upvotes
Mississauga
Actually in my experience it’s the opposite. Drinking without a straw means my lips/teeth have to maneuver around the ice which makes it impossible to gulp down the drink (unless you want to lodge an ice cube in your throat and start choking).
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14086 posts
2509 upvotes
Toronto
Some people have sensitive teeth. That might be another reason for a straw.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4469 posts
3526 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Agreed. Straws are pointless anyway...

Love the new straw-less cold drink lids from Starbucks!
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5462 posts
632 upvotes
Ducky wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:11 am
citric acid erodes teeth... that's one reason...
So why choose to drink citric acid in the first place?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5099 posts
1005 upvotes
Mississauga
amz155 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 7:52 am
So why choose to drink citric acid in the first place?
cuz i enjoy pop? lol
Aug 6, 2018
209 posts
166 upvotes
The cardboard straws are not as good as the plastic straws but I think some of you are being a tad dramatic here.
Aug 6, 2018
209 posts
166 upvotes
fattyburger11 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 8:44 am
It's always the same bunch of virtue signalling fakes who talk and make a lot of noise but make no real impact.

They complain about the environment but drives a car, rides a bus, uses electricity, uses technology, etc etc. These people should find a cave and go live a primitive lifestyle while leaving a low carbon footprint. Maybe they should control their breathing and heart rate so they exhale less CO2 during the time that they are alive on earth to contribute less to global warming.

Instead, they have no problem using electricity, enjoy modern technology and products built on the backs of industrialization to complain about needing to be more 'green'. Then they drive their cars home, turns their heat up in winter and burns more electricity watching TV and surfing the web to complain some more online. Total hypocrites.
Do you expect the liberal starbucks barista you're imagining in your head to overthrow the country's infrastructure? like do you seriously expect them to start an eco friendly airline so that they can fly without using fossil fuels etc? These problems are bigger than us as individuals these changes must be made on a macro government/corporate level, it's either disingenuous or naive to call these people hypocrites.
Aug 6, 2018
209 posts
166 upvotes
you missed my point completely guess im done here.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3226 posts
766 upvotes
Oshawa
Tried it. Disgusting as hell.

Pulled the lid off. Threw out the piece of crap straw. Drank from the cup.

Absolutely rubbish. It's recycled paper. God knows what crap it was made out of.

I can understand recycled paper for toilet paper but a straw? The fluids go up that straw .. Picks up the dirty crap .. And it goes in your mouth and in your system. Toilet paper ... You wipe your ass and it's flushed away. Doesn't go inside your body.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!