Credit Cards

Which cards allow autopay of the full balance?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2024 11:54 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2809 posts
3664 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: You are encountering poorly trained employees. Go to a different branch. You can set up PAP at any Scotiabank branch, it doesn't have to be your home branch.
Anyone with any recent experience setting-up Scotia VISA by PAP from an external account (i.e. non-Scotiabank account)?

If the employees are so poorly trained maybe the trick is for someone to capture the Scotia form name and number so us RFDers can fill the training gap. (I'll get it myself if I get into a branch and have success).
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19737 posts
28628 upvotes
Vancouver
robsaw wrote: Anyone with any recent experience setting-up Scotia VISA by PAP from an external account (i.e. non-Scotiabank account)?

If the employees are so poorly trained maybe the trick is for someone to capture the Scotia form name and number so us RFDers can fill the training gap. (I'll get it myself if I get into a branch and have success).
Are 2016 and 2017 recent enough? in post #17 I described what I had to do.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2809 posts
3664 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Are 2016 and 2017 recent enough? in post #17 I described what I had to do.
I was hoping for more recent than that. I hate having to educate/fight with bank staff that don't know their own processes - but I'll report back in the next few days on my experience.
Apr 2, 2007
27 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Edited the thread summary already, but posting here to let folks know. I gave Simplii Financial a call, and you can set up auto-pay for their VISA card with any bank, not just Simplii, by calling customer service. It wasn't a feature available at launch, and it isn't mentioned at all on their website as far as I can tell, but it's doable.

Also, re. Scotiabank, if you're visiting in person, it might not hurt to bring a printout of a void cheque with you, or a PAD agreement form if your bank offers those online. I can't remember what they required when I set it up years ago. All I remember is the relief I felt when I didn't have to compulsively sign in to every banking site after every paycheque to setup monthly transfers...

Also edited thread summary to add more links/info on how to sign up. I'd welcome further edits if more places allow electronic/online signup than previously indicated.

And I found a sign up for Home Trust for their Equityline Visa.

Okay, I went through and thoroughly updated the list to include every independent Canadian bank VISA and MasterCard list on their respective sites and what I could find, with the exception of Bank of China, and others that have since gone out of business or merged with larger names. I've tried to link to online forms where possible, or mention the easiest way to set up automatic payments, preferring online first, then phone, then email, then fax, then snail mail. So far, most options that appear to be only snail mail will also work online or by phone -- give your bank a call before you assume snail mail or fax is the only option!
Apr 2, 2007
27 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
I’ve updated the Scotiabank setup instructions as I’m at a branch right now, modifying my bank autopay details. Bring a printout/void cheque as they need to attach documentation to the “F8” form they internally fill out. Be sure to say whether you want to pay minimum or full, as they don’t do this frequently and will likely forget to ask. If you only have the credit card with scotia, a photo ID with address is required to access file. The process takes a number of minutes to fill out and presumably get a manager to sign off or stamp. They might take the opportunity to sell you on their Scotia chequing products, lol. The manager then came out at the end with the form filled in with my banking details and asked me to review and sign it. And we were done! You’ll know it works when your monthly statement says your account will be debited automatically. The language on my electronic statement reads: "As per your instruction, the payment will be automatically debited from your designated account provided funds are available." in large print on page 1. If you don't see that, pay your balance! It'll maybe show up on the next cycle.

Another tip: if Scotiabank ever says you need to be at your home branch to update something, you don’t need to be at your home branch to update your home branch. So just get them to change your home branch to the branch you happen to be at. (This tip is dated to ~2009, YMMV. I mostly visit my “home branch” these days.)
Last edited by LouisStAmour on Aug 24th, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19737 posts
28628 upvotes
Vancouver
LouisStAmour wrote: I’ve updated the Scotiabank setup instructions as I’m at a branch right now, modifying my bank autopay details. Bring a printout/void cheque as they need to attach documentation to the “F8” form they internally fill out. Be sure to say whether you want to pay minimum or full, as they don’t do this frequently and will likely forget to ask. If you only have the credit card with scotia, a photo ID with address is required to access file. The process takes a number of minutes to fill out and presumably get a manager to sign off or stamp. They might take the opportunity to sell you on their Scotia chequing products, lol. The manager then came out at the end with the form filled in with my banking details and asked me to review and sign it. And we were done! You’ll know it works when your monthly statement says your account will be debited automatically.

Another tip: if Scotiabank ever says you need to be at your home branch to update something, you don’t need to be at your home branch to update your home branch. So just get them to change your home branch to the branch you happen to be at. (This tip is dated to ~2009, YMMV. I mostly visit my “home branch” these days.)
+1 many thanks for the report! @robsaw did you see this?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2809 posts
3664 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: +1 many thanks for the report! @robsaw did you see this?
Yup. Great to have a specific form reference "F8". Thanks to LouisStAmour.
Apr 2, 2007
27 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
robsaw wrote: Yup. Great to have a specific form reference "F8". Thanks to LouisStAmour.
Just to clarify, I overheard the tellers saying this. The form I saw as a print out didn’t clearly mention “F8” on it. Looked like a standard PAD form, pre-filled and with the void cheque printout behind it, presumably to be faxed. The teller had to hand things over to a manager to finish the process, took a few minutes.
Apr 2, 2007
27 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
I reached out to ATB to ask whether they supported it, and they said yes, and you can set them up in branch or by phone:
We do support automatic payments. You can choose to have either the minimum payment or the full balance due. You will find both amount on your statement. The payments, whichever you choose, will be taken on the due date stated on your statement.

To set it up it can be done in branch or over the phone at 1-800-332-8383.
Automatic payments can be set up from any Canadian bank account, ATB or non-ATB.
Last edited by LouisStAmour on Sep 3rd, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3590 posts
2954 upvotes
Montreal
LouisStAmour wrote: I’ve updated the Scotiabank setup instructions as I’m at a branch right now, modifying my bank autopay details. Bring a printout/void cheque as they need to attach documentation to the “F8” form they internally fill out. Be sure to say whether you want to pay minimum or full, as they don’t do this frequently and will likely forget to ask. If you only have the credit card with scotia, a photo ID with address is required to access file. The process takes a number of minutes to fill out and presumably get a manager to sign off or stamp. They might take the opportunity to sell you on their Scotia chequing products, lol. The manager then came out at the end with the form filled in with my banking details and asked me to review and sign it. And we were done! You’ll know it works when your monthly statement says your account will be debited automatically. The language on my electronic statement reads: "As per your instruction, the payment will be automatically debited from your designated account provided funds are available." in large print on page 1. If you don't see that, pay your balance! It'll maybe show up on the next cycle.

Now you have to hope Scotiabank will honour your choice and not screw it up like they invariably screw everything up.

I’ve had them take the full amount twice and they never could fix it. Had to drive to the branch and take a cash advance to get my money back and of course could only get back the net amount(prepaying the current charges).

I’ve also had them take the min amount even though I made sure full amount was selected. I immediately contacted them and was instructed to pay the rest immediately from online banking which I did. Of course the very next day they took out the full balance a second time. Couldn’t fix that one either, much time spent talking to various Scotia idiots and no semblance of compensation for all the wasted time.

Scotiabank is just a clown show from top to bottom. Even their Office of the President doesn’t seem to know what they’re doing.
Wealthsimple Premium
Apr 2, 2007
27 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
S5 wrote: I’ve had them take the full amount twice... I’ve also had them take the min amount even though I made sure full amount was selected. I immediately contacted them and was instructed to pay the rest immediately from online banking which I did. Of course the very next day they took out the full balance a second time.
It sounds like your account was set up for automatic debit twice. That would explain how when the minimum was taken, the full amount was taken the next day. I’d recommend in this scenario submitting a cancellation form at a branch, and presumably that will cancel one or both of the two automatic payment commands. Then wait to see if it’s still being taken once or twice, and make corrections in future.

I agree though, if the same credit card is being paid both times, then there’s a problem with their system’s validation. It should be restricted to one PAD agreement per credit card unless they support splitting a payment (which no one I know of does...)

It’s also a bit concerning that their systems don’t have real-time feedback to tell you (or your branch) how many payment plans are set up and to make changes online. It sounds to me like a mainframe system is being configured by fax, which is not a great way of doing things...
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3590 posts
2954 upvotes
Montreal
LouisStAmour wrote: It sounds like your account was set up for automatic debit twice. That would explain how when the minimum was taken, the full amount was taken the next day. I’d recommend in this scenario submitting a cancellation form at a branch, and presumably that will cancel one or both of the two automatic payment commands. Then wait to see if it’s still being taken once or twice, and make corrections in future.

I agree though, if the same credit card is being paid both times, then there’s a problem with their system’s validation. It should be restricted to one PAD agreement per credit card unless they support splitting a payment (which no one I know of does...)

It’s also a bit concerning that their systems don’t have real-time feedback to tell you (or your branch) how many payment plans are set up and to make changes online. It sounds to me like a mainframe system is being configured by fax, which is not a great way of doing things...
Nope, just typical Scotia incompetence. I’ve had a total of two PADs setup on two different credit cards and they managed to screw both of them up, in different ways. Best you can say for Scotia is they’re consistent, consistently awful.

Can’t wait to be done with the Scotia clown show, waiting for other outstanding issues to be resolved before pulling the plug.
Wealthsimple Premium
Apr 2, 2007
27 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Re Brim: This thread's seen enough folks at RFD that I figure the second somebody like Brim or one of the CUs starts supporting automatic payments, we'll see an update here eventually.

Re Scotiabank: So it happened that Scotiabank did debit my accounts twice, but without further involvement on my part, they adjusted my account to cover the two payments and cancelled one of them. It's true then that Scotiabank isn't exactly on top of things -- they don't have a duplicates check for the list of pre-authorized debits on an account. That's always the danger in automatic payments, that they'll come from an account with insufficient funds or when you don't want them to debit things. The best automatic payment systems will take changes completely online and you can make changes pretty much up to the date payment is due, just like you would if switching credit cards for a subscription service. But banks, like subscription services, vary in awesomeness. Some are like Netflix, easy and hassle-free and some are like Bell, a pain in the butt to deal with when any billing issue comes up where the rule of thumb is "have enough cash to cover whatever they bill you, and they'll adjust it a month later" because if you don't pay them, you'll pay for it on your credit rating... C'est la vie.

Edit: I wrote "without further involvement on my part" but in reality, it was a number of months ago. I might have called, I actually forget now what happened. All I know is in reviewing my finances now, I double paid a small balance, had my balance adjusted, and then future payments only came from the new account.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19737 posts
28628 upvotes
Vancouver
American Express now lets you register for PAP online. Anyone know when this changed? The previous time I did this, a year ago, I still had to print off a PDF and snail mail it in with a voided cheque.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2012
10045 posts
3759 upvotes
multi city dweller
Kiraly wrote: American Express now lets you register for PAP online. Anyone know when this changed? The previous time I did this, a year ago, I still had to print off a PDF and snail mail it in with a voided cheque.
IIRC, I started doing this first half of last year ... so this is not new ...

Remember, once you set it up, their system will withdraw the amount on the statement regardless of how much you still owe at the time the balance is due.

For example, if you get a statement and you owe $100. Say you manually pay it off immediately. Their system will still withdraw $100 comes due date ...
Oct 17, 2014
419 posts
448 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Is it possible to AutoPay my wife's credit card using my bank account?
They only ask for Transit#, Institution# and Account#.
I just wonder if they'll try to match card holder name with the name on bank account when withdrawing fund.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8012 posts
4748 upvotes
Montreal
HSBC Mastercard® Pre-Authorized Debit Plan (PAD plan)
- mail or fax
- minimum payment or full statement balance
- external Canadian account allowed (not only HSBC)
- one form per HSBC credit card

English
Authorization form : https://www.hsbc.ca/content/dam/hsbc/ca ... d-plan.pdf
Explanation / source: https://www.hsbc.ca/credit-cards/preaut ... ebit-plan/

French
Formulaire: https://www.hsbc.ca/content/dam/hsbc/ca ... lan-fr.pdf
Explanation / source: https://www.hsbc.ca/fr-ca/credit-cards/ ... ebit-plan/
Last edited by cashinstinct on Aug 14th, 2020 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
VirginPlus / Stickermule / HP Instant Ink
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8012 posts
4748 upvotes
Montreal
Mbna

Authorization for Personal Pre-Authorized Debit (PAD) Service

- Mail or fax the form
- minimum balance, full statement balance or fixed amount
- can use same form for up to 3 Mbna credit cards

English: Authorization for Personal Pre-Authorized Debit (PAD) Service (PADS)
https://www.mbna.ca/document/PDF/pads_eng.pdf

French: Autorisation pour le service de débit préautorisé personnel (DPA)
https://www.mbna.ca/francais/document/PDF/pads_fr.pdf
Last edited by cashinstinct on Aug 14th, 2020 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8012 posts
4748 upvotes
Montreal
TD Visa Pre-Authorized Payment (Canada)

Possible by phone if you are using a TD bank account, according to previous RFD posts , credit to @Eleventeen

Another option: Mail/fax the form or visit in branch.
- minimum payment or full balance
- can be external Canadian bank account
- one form per TD Visa card

Note: RFD referral links are screwing up the links
if you have ad blocker, credit @Eleventeen and @robsab

English: TD Visa Pre-Authorized Payment (PAPE)

Rfd scraps the link so copy paste this:

www.
tdcanadatrust.com/document/PDF/tdvisa/tdct-tdvisa-pape.pdf

French: Formulaire de paiements préautorisés

Rfd scraps the link so copy paste this:

www.
tdcanadatrust.com/francais/document/PDF/visatd/tdct-visatd-pap-allothers-fr.pdf
Last edited by cashinstinct on Mar 3rd, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)