cardswap.ca Anyone use it

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2017 9:50 pm
[OP]
Jan 12, 2005
865 posts
48 upvotes

cardswap.ca Anyone use it

Has anyone used this site? Is it legit? It looks like you can only use online interac to pay....
131 replies
Dec 28, 2009
1 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I've used it recently after a friend of mine saw a piece about the company on CityTV and told me about it.

I bought a gift card at 20% off and I was really pleased with the whole process (and this is coming from someone who almost never buys anything online). I made a "Wish List" when I signed up for the site and got an e-mail notification when a gift card from my list became available. In about a week, I got the card in the mail from the seller and shopped my little heart out.

Re: the Interac payment method, yes, it seems that is the only way to purchase the gift cards on the site. I don't mind it at all since I'm a little wary of giving out my credit card information over the Internet anyway, so I do actually feel a little safer this way. I also like that when I purchased the card, I got an email telling me when I should get it by, and a link along with the gift card code so I could verify the balance on the card myself.

All in all, I think the concept is great and I would definitely try it out again.
[OP]
Jan 12, 2005
865 posts
48 upvotes
anyone else with a little more RFD cred?

sorry but you sound like a salesman/woman for this site (especially since you have 1 post)... in addition to the site spammed me on CL after I posted a gift card for sale.... :mad:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7353 posts
1062 upvotes
With only 39 listings, most very obscure, it looks like there is no real activity on the site so unlikely anyone would have used it

If i was to buy the Eb games $25 gc for $20 (and why would anyone bother to list such a thing on a site like that. their fee is $4.50 min, so those cant be real users), what is to stop them from writing the number and pin down to use on the website before i got a chance to use the card?

That post above is no doubt an ad
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5136 posts
49 upvotes
metro wrote:
Dec 29th, 2009 2:44 pm
anyone else with a little more RFD cred?

sorry but you sound like a salesman/woman for this site (especially since you have 1 post)... in addition to the site spammed me on CL after I posted a gift card for sale.... :mad:
Was going to say the same :lol:

also with Interrac you never have purchase protection and w CC youdo online.

also what if the seller sends you the card info but then buys somthing right after?
people can do stuff like that.
Oct 7, 2003
251 posts
10 upvotes
lol what a sales pitch for their site!

1 post AND the account was registered today
Aug 25, 2008
841 posts
Markham
I use it and loss money....

:(
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18693 posts
1106 upvotes
notax wrote:
Jan 27th, 2011 10:38 am
I use it and loss money....

:(

Lost money how?

The site *is* legit, I saw the CEO pitching for venture capital on BNN.

Never used it myself but highly doubt it is an official scam. Obviously you will "lose money" on selling gift cards because you can't sell them at face value.

Did you lose money because you bought a card and did not recieve it? Or because it did not have it's advertised value?
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3611 posts
631 upvotes
Alberta
brunes wrote:
Jan 29th, 2011 7:31 pm
Lost money how?

The site *is* legit, I saw the CEO pitching for venture capital on BNN.

Never used it myself but highly doubt it is an official scam. Obviously you will "lose money" on selling gift cards because you can't sell them at face value.
I seen it on BNN also and did some research on it. Yes, you will lose money on selling the card but if you have no use for it, you might as well get some money for it. But, on the other hand if you are buying a card, most of the cards are $5.00 off the face value. For me, saving $5.00 on a card is a waste of time, I wouldn't even bother with it. If the company ever does a IPO, I highly doubt if it will go anywhere.
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14800 posts
18653 upvotes
ONTARIO
I've used it to buys cards but never sold cards on it. I do agree though if you are selling on it you are going to be losing money.

I remember a card I bought, I think it was a gift card for East Side Mario's or Kelsey's. It was 40% off $25 gift card so it was around $15. It also included free shipping. When I received the card in the mail it was shipped via XpressPost and the cost just to ship it was around 6-7 dollars. Doesn't seem worth it to me if I was the seller.
Aug 25, 2008
841 posts
Markham
I brought a card mid Nov last year, and I receive the card the end of Nov.

I try to use it to buy a gift in Dec, and it expire on me. I were told it expire Nov 30 2010.

I contacted the site about the issue. but they said the expire info is listed.

I have the confirmation email they send me when I first purchase the card, but no where it said anything about expire.

anyone interested to see the email just pm me.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
I used it to sell a 25.00 gift card (LCBO) and they sent me a cheque for 20.00. I deposited it last week.

For selling....the higher in demand the card, the higher amount you will be offered in return.
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
1145 posts
24 upvotes
i tried selling a global pet foods card on the site, but they came back and told me the card could not be sold on there site. gave me some reason that did not make any sense. :confused:
2010..what a year!
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
191 upvotes
Surrey
spartan 119 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2011 9:33 am
i tried selling a global pet foods card on the site, but they came back and told me the card could not be sold on there site. gave me some reason that did not make any sense. :confused:
Well, what reason did they give you? It may make sense to experienced RFDers, so go ahead and simply cut and paste from the Email you received.

Cheers!