Shopping Discussion

cardswap.ca Anyone use it

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2017 9:50 pm
Jan 4, 2005
523 posts
5 upvotes
Arviat
That's great to know the service works. I think they were going to offer me $390 for $491 worth of HBC cards, so I declined. That's too much of a drop for me. What I ended up doing to going into Zellers and buying a Vanilla Mastercard. It only cost me $6.95 to activate it, now I can use it anywhere. I also bought some Esso cards which I will use for gas.
Feb 28, 2011
11 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
iamnotamerican.com wrote:
Jan 30th, 2011 11:47 am
Well, what reason did they give you? It may make sense to experienced RFDers, so go ahead and simply cut and paste from the Email you received.

Cheers!

Hello,

I work for CardSwap and would like to clarify the reason why not all cards can be sold on the site. CardSwap's policy is to only list cards on the site that can be validated. We verify the balance on every card by calling the store, 1800# or website. However, there are some merchants (ie. Global Pet Foods) that require us to physically swipe the card at the terminal to get a balance. Thus, we cannot accept gift cards from all merchants to protect our reputation and guarantee all transactions to our customers. I hope this makes more sense. If Global Pet foods changes their gift card policy we would be happy to add them to our list of approved merchants.
Feb 28, 2011
11 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
DipSheet2 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2011 3:34 pm
Just tried to list a gift card on their site.

The FAQ's are no longer valid, they only buy cards now, and for the merchant I have, they only offer about 65% of the cards value.

To be sure they get the card, I have to send postal express, another $10.00 or so.

Doesn't seem like a very good deal, maybe would be better to try on Ebay.

Hello,

I work for CardSwap and would like to thank you for your interest in our company. We offer between 60-85% cash for gift cards. The value really depends on the demand for the card from other consumers. For example, a one location spa has very little demand and will be difficult to resell without offering a large incentive savings. A merchant like Sears/Loblaws/BestBuy/Gas we can offer top dollar because we know the card will be sold in a flash without having to offer a large savings. Thus demand for that retailer is how we determine the market price for your gift card. We would love to offer you as much for your card as possible, but we need to be profitable to stay in business.

Remember we want your UNWANTED gift cards. According to statistics most (5 out of 6) gift cards we receive are from our favourite retailers. Personally for me that would be Lululemon and right now I can think of at least 3 things I would love to buy from that store. And there is no way you could pry that gift card out of my hands. However, I am also a vegetarian and I received a Keg Steakhouse gift card as a "Thank you". I would happily monetize that Keg gift card into a cash so I can go back to get those yoga pants. Or, maybe you bought something on sale and then had buyers remorse. Often, stores will return items back on a merchandise credit. As long as we can validate the funds on the card, it can be sold on our site. So long story short, we don't want all your gift cards, just the ones you don't want.

Mail: A majority of our customers send us cards using regular post. To date, we have received all gift cards mailed to us with the exception of one. However, if the card has a high value (ie. over $200) I would suggest sending it with tracking. The one card that we did not receive the Seller had the receipt and the merchant was easily able to replace it without much hassle. When sending the card, I would recommend putting good packaging around the card, to reduce the chances of it getting 'lost' at Canada Post.

eBay/Craigslist: Yes, there are alternatives to our services, however, please be careful. Whenever you buy/sell a gift card you are always dealing directly with CardSwap. We have validated each and every card and provide a 3 week guarantee after purchase date. Our forms of payment are INTERAC online and we have recently added credit card. You never pay us cash or have to meet a stranger at the mall. Fraudsters normally steal credit card numbers and buy large amounts of gift cards. The gift cards are valid temporarily and then are voided once the person contacts the credit card company with fraudulent transactions. CardSwap policy is always to pay Sellers by cheque sent to mailing address (no PO box). This deters fraudsters from using our system as everything is traceable.

Our FAQs have been updated to reflect our new policies.

We hope that you will try out our services and report your CardSwap experience for others to hear. If you have any specific question please email me at lisa@cardswap.ca and I would love to personally address them for you. Or give us a call 416-491-2233. Cheers!
Feb 28, 2011
11 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
metro wrote:
Dec 29th, 2009 10:25 am
Has anyone used this site? Is it legit? It looks like you can only use online interac to pay....

We have recently added credit card as a payment option.
Feb 28, 2011
11 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
notax wrote:
Feb 1st, 2011 9:53 am
if you are okay with 65% of the card value and willing to take a risk lossing the card thru regular mail.
Yeah you can still sell it to them.

but buying from them for sure is not a good choice from my past exp.
notax wrote:
Jan 31st, 2011 10:35 pm
Yeah, I guess selling is not a good idea and buying from them is even worst. :(
notax wrote:
Jan 27th, 2011 10:38 am
I use it and loss money....

:(
brunes wrote:
Jan 29th, 2011 7:31 pm
Lost money how?

The site *is* legit, I saw the CEO pitching for venture capital on BNN.

Never used it myself but highly doubt it is an official scam. Obviously you will "lose money" on selling gift cards because you can't sell them at face value.

Did you lose money because you bought a card and did not recieve it? Or because it did not have it's advertised value?

Hello

I work for CardSwap and would like to address some of the concerns posted about selling a card. We truly appreciate getting feedback (both positive and negative) as listening to our customers is the only way to become a better business.

-Yes, you will not receive face value for a gift card. You will receive an instant quote for your gift card here. The quote depends on the retailer and the amount of the gift card. If you accept the cash price offer, the process is very simple. Print out the offer (you will be sent an email) and mail the card to us. Once we receive it, you will get a confirmation email from us. We will process your cheque within 48 hours and you can expect to receive it within 7-10 business days.

Notax: You have sold 40+ cards on our site (we just received more in the mail today 03/2/2011). We would like to thank you for your continued support and loyalty to CardSwap. Your cheque will be put in the mail immediately because you are a trusted seller. I am a bit confused as to why you continue to use our service if you are unhappy or have not been paid as agreed. I know that you personally sell a lot of gift cards in the b/s/t forum. We would be happy to take any gift cards you cannot sell on the forum on our site.

CardSwap
Feb 28, 2011
11 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
dealguy65 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2011 1:55 pm
That's great to know the service works. I think they were going to offer me $390 for $491 worth of HBC cards, so I declined. That's too much of a drop for me. What I ended up doing to going into Zellers and buying a Vanilla Mastercard. It only cost me $6.95 to activate it, now I can use it anywhere. I also bought some Esso cards which I will use for gas.

This is brilliant. I'm glad you were able to swap that HBC card for something you will be able to use. Gas cards are always needed especially at today's prices. I just saw $123/litre. Be careful with the Vanilla MasterCards as are not protected under the new gift card legislation. They can expire and some also have extra fees.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
notax wrote:
Feb 1st, 2011 9:53 am
if you are okay with 65% of the card value and willing to take a risk lossing the card thru regular mail.
Yeah you can still sell it to them.

but buying from them for sure is not a good choice from my past exp.

For a 25.00 gc I recieved a 20.00 check. Not exactly 65% :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
poorwingman wrote:
Feb 10th, 2011 6:56 pm
in nov/dec, i bought a $200 EQ3 gift card for $180... so 10% off.

some things to keep in mind:
- the item ships from the seller not the site. other sites ship the gift card to you so that the seller doesn't have your address... so you have to be ok with this
- you have to use it by a certain date within a month or so or they will release the funds to the seller and you have no recourse.. so you should use it fast.

not sure if i would use it again.. i don't like the idea of a random having my address (especially if something goes wrong)

This is wrong. I sent the gc directly to them and they send me a check back.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1524 posts
36 upvotes
Scarborough
JohnMcdudlle wrote:
Feb 10th, 2011 2:11 pm
they offered me more than 65% for my winners gift card... 237$ gf for 189$, so about 80%. Although i will pay 8$ for the registered letter, it's still good.

POST it on cl or kijiji
and put 20% off.
and you would have it sold, with cash in hand faster IMO
Feb 28, 2011
11 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
JohnMcdudlle wrote:
Feb 28th, 2011 1:23 pm
just did. it took 10 buisenes days and they spelt my name wrong, but i'm very happy with their services.

Hello,

Thank you for using CardSwap. We apologize for the incorrectly spelt name. I am assuming the bank let it go as we have not heard anything from you. We would like to correct this error in our systems so that future cheques will be correct. Can you please email us at clientcare@cardSwap.ca with your correct spelling of your name? Thanks!
Jan 7, 2011
372 posts
9 upvotes
D-Roc wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2011 11:23 am
For a 25.00 gc I recieved a 20.00 check. Not exactly 65% :facepalm:

Looks like the percentage they offer is based on the merchant, some cards may be easier for them to sell. Why the :facepalm: ?
Oct 2, 2010
448 posts
173 upvotes
DipSheet2 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2011 11:47 am
Looks like the percentage they offer is based on the merchant, some cards may be easier for them to sell. Why the :facepalm: ?

He was just refuting the blanket statement from notax, since $20 is 80% of $25, thus you can potentially receive more than 65%.
Aug 25, 2008
841 posts
Markham
To CardSwap Rep:

here is the detail of how I loss my money, I purchase a card on Nov 2010 and when I try to use it in Dec 2010, it expire on me.

below is cut and paste of email exchange.

Thank you for purchasing a gift card on CardSwap! Your payment has been successfully received.

Reference No: 13320
Date: November 15, 2010
Merchant Name: Holt Renfrew Gift Card Face Value: $131.05
CardSwap Discount: -21.05
-------
Your Cost after Saving: $110.00

-----------------------

Thank you for your inquiry.

We are sorry to hear about this expired gift card.

Please mail us back the gift card so that we can investigate this matter as soon as possible. Should we not be able to find the problem, you will be refunded for this transaction.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
CardSwap Team | www.CardSwap.ca | CardSwap is Canada's #1 Site for discounted gift cards