Shopping Discussion

cardswap.ca Anyone use it

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2017 9:50 pm
Jan 6, 2016
182 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Yeah, same here, I am going to sign up and send them a GC, they are not going to say it is empty and scam me right? Reading this thread does seem pretty shady.
"Terrorists" don't belong in Canada.
Oct 5, 2004
694 posts
547 upvotes
Vancouver
Daydas wrote:
Dec 26th, 2016 6:20 pm
Yeah, same here, I am going to sign up and send them a GC, they are not going to say it is empty and scam me right? Reading this thread does seem pretty shady.
I successfully completed a transaction with them. Got 60% to the dollar which is low but better than nothing.
Dec 1, 2016
47 posts
5 upvotes
Does anyone who has sold cardswap a giftcard know how long it takes before they email you to say they recieved the card?
Its been 5 business days and i havent heard from them. Considering they are located in the gta and so am i, i expected them to get my card within 1-2 days.

I didnt get tracking but the card value wasnt very high so i didnt think i needed to spend 8$ on tracking via canada post :/
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
4532 posts
191 upvotes
They used to mail out coupons when you bought their cards such that you would get an additional $5-10 bonus when trading in a card. Not sure if they mail these out anymore.
Jan 20, 2017
1 posts
I used it; usually 20% off cash; but there would be gas cards that shall yield another 5-8%; Very clear and smooth process
Dec 1, 2016
47 posts
5 upvotes
The process is slow (took about 13 business days) but cardswap is LEGIT! I sent a 100$ gift card in and got a cheque from them for 82$ today! To me thats way better than having to spend 100$ in a store i dont want anything from :)
May 23, 2014
614 posts
270 upvotes
canada
Cardswap is full of scammers. Read all the threads started on the web about people sending in cards and them just claiming it's empty or whatever. If you're a first time it's a good buisness model for them to give u a good deal the first couple times. Then one day when u send in that $2-300 in gift cards they'll take it.

The rates posted above are abysmally low. Someone sold a gift card for 60cents on the dollar? Someone else sold one for 82 cents on the dollar. You can always post on Kijjiji and Craigslist and get 85-.80 on the dollar for almost every store. With zero chance of getting scamed.
Feb 1, 2012
1 posts
1 upvote
GLOUCESTER
I would be hesitant using Kijiji or Craigslist, plus time is money- having to go out of my way to meet a stranger. I placed my first order today with CardSwap for some gift cards. I'll see how it goes.
Apr 8, 2011
191 posts
38 upvotes
Took about 14 days (including holidays) to receive the cheque but they did send confirmation when it was sent out.

What they pay out will vary so you can keep checking. Example: was going to be 80% when I first checked and a few weeks later when I actually sent in, only got 75% but did it anyway.
May 23, 2014
614 posts
270 upvotes
canada
The discounts on card are hardly discounts at all. You can find cheaper rates on ur local classified or fb groups. Secondly they give you less then what U could get on the open market on average. Also many first time users find it confusing with their goofy swappoint figures. Site layout is a C-. They make you signup before u can figure out what the actual figures look like if u want to buy a card. These guys are slightly more intelligent then shop.ca I stress slightly
Jan 8, 2017
9 posts
3 upvotes
I used them a couple years ago - sold them 30 x $100 Esso gift cards (was flipping my RBC rewards to Esso, then to gift cards), I got 90 cents on the dollar back then.

Doing a few more now (as the RBC to Esso relationship is ending August 1st) - and this is the best way to redeem for cash. Only getting 88 cents on the dollar now, but that's still a pretty good rate.

Not a single hiccup - think it took them 10 days to send me a cheque after they received the cards.
Jul 2, 2013
75 posts
18 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Anyone use this site lately to sell cards? I have a few Bestbuy and Apple GC and it looks like I'm getting 85%, which is not bad. I have no interest in wading through kijiji or craiglist and have no history selling them anyways so is there a better option?