Careers

Career Advice

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2015 12:31 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 23, 2010
637 posts
113 upvotes

Career Advice

Hey guys I'm in a huge predicament for the past week or so and wanted to get some advice from you guys.

Background:
- I'm a recent Comp sci graduate
- I have had about 3 years of internship experience at company A (fortune 500 company)
- I have been in talks with company A to hire me back fulltime before I graduated (about 3 months before graduation), manager wants me back but due to the budget he has not been able to send me an offer
- Company B (small IT firm) has just hired me and I've been working there for about 4 weeks now, works seems OK and there is lots of room for growth.

Issue:
I took the offer by company B for a full time position. Last week company A offered me a 6 month contract and my old manager is promising that he will try his best to convert me fulltime within the 6 months. Company A is also offering me a salary which is 10K higher than company B.

What would you do in my position? I am aware that I would be burning bridges with company B should I choose to leave, and I would feel pretty bad for leaving after just 4 weeks.
9 replies
Sr. Member
Feb 10, 2015
607 posts
228 upvotes
Ask company B to match the offer of company A. If they will not you will have to decide if you want the stability of company B or if you want to risk being unemployed in 6 months if company A does not offer you a full time position.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 23, 2010
637 posts
113 upvotes
Thanks Dan, when I was in talks with company B, I had tried to negotiate my salary to what I thought company A would offer and they didn't budge. So I don't think they would budge now.

I suppose all that's left to decide is if I want to take the risk or not.
Member
Oct 10, 2010
221 posts
67 upvotes
Ottawa
DanTh3Man wrote: Ask company B to match the offer of company A. If they will not you will have to decide if you want the stability of company B or if you want to risk being unemployed in 6 months if company A does not offer you a full time position.
Stability?? Today you are needed and tomorrow not as much, regardless what type of employment you are engaged with. Who says that at the very end they won't give him another contract in worst case scenario. But you should also consider at the very end of the day what job would give me better marketable skills for new opportunities. If the same, pick the money.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 23, 2010
637 posts
113 upvotes
fadmin wrote: Stability?? Today you are needed and tomorrow not as much, regardless what type of employment you are engaged with. Who says that at the very end they won't give him another contract in worst case scenario. But you should also consider at the very end of the day what job would give me better marketable skills for new opportunities. If the same, pick the money.

Thank-you fadmin,

I had thought about what would look better on my resume, as of right now the title and skills at company A are better, however company B has said I have the ability to move up and work on different projects in the future (after 6+ months) where I could gain more skills.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 4, 2010
1863 posts
582 upvotes
Of course they're going to say that... You don't even know if they'll keep you around after six months. It's all word of mouth right now. Things change quickly so I wouldn't hedge your bets on what the hiring manager is telling you.

I would stay where you are, especially as there is room for growth there as well.
Member
Oct 10, 2010
221 posts
67 upvotes
Ottawa
In IT gaining new skills and knowledge (beside hard work) is all it really matters. School may help you get a first job faster but later on, not as much as a good skills and experience. So short term gain may be long term loss.
Sr. Member
Feb 10, 2015
607 posts
228 upvotes
fadmin wrote: Stability?? Today you are needed and tomorrow not as much, regardless what type of employment you are engaged with. Who says that at the very end they won't give him another contract in worst case scenario. But you should also consider at the very end of the day what job would give me better marketable skills for new opportunities. If the same, pick the money.
No, worst case scenario is that the simply do not extend him in any manner. From the information in the OP it sounds like his current company will have a need for him past the six month mark. This is where all of the risk lies.

When considering this you should really figure out how much more money you are really going to be getting. Is the $10k extra an annualized number (i.e. will you only really see $5k more over the six months)? After taxes that $5k is really more like $3.5k. Is this worth the (very real) chance that you could be unemployed in six months?
Member
Oct 10, 2010
221 posts
67 upvotes
Ottawa
Agree with you Dan. It is all individual...and what person values more and how good or bad their financial situation is at the time of making that decision. It is not the same if married with kids or single or single and broke etcetc

Top