Careers

Career choice : audit or consulting at big4 ?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2017 9:26 pm
Aug 5, 2017
184 posts
92 upvotes

Career choice : audit or consulting at big4 ?

Hey guys,

I’d like some advice on career choices, I feel completely lost and I fear that I will regret my choice later on if I make the wrong decision.
I’m a soon to graduate student and I’m torn between two career paths, I’ve received two offers from the big accounting firms, one is audit and the other is consulting (technology). Many people say that audit is a soul crushing career, others say that it’s a safe, secure career that pays a lot in the long run and one that would allow to get highly respected designations such as the CPA. On the plus side I know exactly what to expect from audit and there also are exit opportunities such as working in the industry, for banks or for the government. Whereas in consulting, I honestly don’t have a clue as to what their job is, every consultant I’ve talked to boasted on how the job was cool because they basically do something different every day and there’s never a routine (hard to believe) i don’t know anything about exit opportunities either, what do they do once they want to move out of the big4 firm ? I feel like audit might give long term skills whereas consulting appears to be some kind of shady, “bullshit” job that doesn’t require any skill and with no value creation. I also know that an auditor might become a consultant but the former might not become an auditor. Still I’ve heard a lot people complain about audit… Is it that terrible?

Please enlighten me !
Sincerely
dante01
32 replies
Jun 17, 2017
18 posts
2 upvotes
Are you the French guy? I would choose audit again if I were to start over because it provides a well defined career path: Auditor, SFA/Accounting Manager, Controller, CFO (of course, not everyone can be a controller or CFO) while I think consulting is more of a fluffy career, I don't know much about the career exit opportunities for consulting. Hehce, consulting has less certainty,
Aug 6, 2017
22 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
Hey Dante, how much exposure have you had to each career path? both are quite different in terms of skills and day to day work, but similar in terms of client interaction. and within each of them, the levels can be quite different. each has it's pros and cons.

re: the differences/similarities - In a high-level nutshell:
Audit: interact with clients; understand their business; look at what they have from a financial lense to see if you can spot any inconsistencies or areas of improvement; provide recommendations; [optional - if you're part of the advisory group, you might not do this] execute on the recommendations
Consulting: interact with clients; understand their business; look at what they have from a technology lense to see how you can add value; provide recommendations; [optional - if you're part of the strategy group, you might not do this] execute on the recommendations

re: exit opportunities - there are tons of exit opportunities from consulting as well. many end up going to a client that they've worked for (consider it an extended interview on both sides)

re: pros and cons - Both are group and situation dependant. Consulting can be as soul-sucking as audit; and audit can be just as different every day and non-routine as consulting.

The other consideration is that your decision isn't permanent. You can do audit for 5 years then switch to consulting or do consulting for 7 years then switch to audit (yes that can happen although less-so as this is going from general to specific, where as audit-->consulting is specific to general). Or do something different altogether.

from the content-tone of your post it seems like you prefer audit, but hear bad things; and on the flip side, hear interesting things about consulting which cannot confirm or deny. What I'm assuming is that you haven't been able to get a good enough sense of what consultants do to be comfortable in saying yes/no, is that fair? if that's the case, I'd be happy to elaborate more.

FYI: I was a management consultant in tech for 12+ years
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
CONSULTING, no question. Ideally Deloitte Consulting.
Aug 5, 2017
184 posts
92 upvotes
McKinsey wrote: CONSULTING, no question. Ideally Deloitte Consulting.
Could you elaborate please ? :)
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
This could be a long discussion/debate, and you will have 99 different reasons/rationales if you ask 99 different people. In fact, many of my colleagues would even disagree with me. Reality is that in Consulting, you are in charge of your own career.

It is more fun/exciting/challenging and you have so many exit opportunities if you play the game right. If you enjoyed doing case studies, working in teams and traveling the world, then Consulting is great. The average tenure is less than 2 years as it is a very high-pace environment, not everyone has what it takes (whether it is skills, patience etc) to stick at it long-term, let alone become a Partner. But if you have the ambition and perseverance, you will do well.

I would say go with Audit if you want a more stable and safe career.
Aug 5, 2017
184 posts
92 upvotes
McKinsey wrote: This could be a long discussion/debate, and you will have 99 different reasons/rationales if you ask 99 different people. In fact, many of my colleagues would even disagree with me. Reality is that in Consulting, you are in charge of your own career.

It is more fun/exciting/challenging and you have so many exit opportunities if you play the game right. If you enjoyed doing case studies, working in teams and traveling the world, then Consulting is great. The average tenure is less than 2 years as it is a very high-pace environment, not everyone has what it takes (whether it is skills, patience etc) to stick at it long-term, let alone become a Partner. But if you have the ambition and perseverance, you will do well.

I would say go with Audit if you want a more stable and safe career.
First consulting is very broad so what are we even talking about ? I'm not talking about the glamorous aspect of consulting you see in MBB firms, i'm talking about technology so everything that has to do with SAP, Oracle, Hyperion and so on... Is it really that challenging ?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
3283 posts
869 upvotes
At the end of the day, you are in a very enviable position, and you can't really go wrong in either choice. Really depends what your interests are and the type of person you are.
With audit, its more structured program build for you to get your CPA as quick as possible. You know what your assignments will be.
For consulting, you really have to be a go getter and have more initiative, and a bit of luck in terms of what industry/practice you get assigned to when you first joined. It'll be like you are going for job interviews constantly to get placed on projects. Your future and performance ratings will depend on how billable you are. The easier you are to get assigned on projects, the faster you will get promoted. But you constantly are required, to sell yourself, whether if that is to the clients, your partners, your project managers, your colleagues. See if you are comfortable in that environment. YOu can't rely on the resource manager to get you your next project, unlike Audit.

From an exit opportunities perspective, you can't go wrong with either choice. They both offer exceptional options, and with a big4 firm's name on your resume, it certainly open plenty of doors if you so choose to use them. For consulting, some of the exit opportunities are: other consulting firms with higher title, go into industry as IT directors, join existing clients, and the big money is if you develop a niche skillset and become an independent consultant. That is when you can write your own cheque(think charging 120-140 dollars a hour and keeping each cent without giving it back to your firm).

I'll chime in on McKinsey's opinion on why he thinks Deloitte is the preferred consulting firm of the big 4(Deloitte, PwC, E&Y, KPMG), I would think he shares the same sentiment. From the big 4 firms standpoint, Deloitte Consulting is the only firm that kept its consulting arm and thus, currently is the largest and the only one that offers the full breadth of consulting services. The other 3 firms over the last 10-15 years(since the whole Enron and Arthur Andersen incident) have gotten rid of their consulting practice. E&Y spun its consulting arm to become Cap Gemini E & Y, and they have not been doing well in the industry. KPMG spun off their consulting arm to become BearingPoint. PwC sold off its PwCC practice to IBM. Unlike the other 3, Deloitte Consulting is fully integrated with their Audit partners, and have been acquiring other key strategy consulting firms. Started with Braxton in the 90's, and the biggest coup of all, is buying The Monitor Group and integrating them into Deloitte Consulting. (It can be argued that getting The Monitor Group into its fold, if integrated properly will put them into the same sentence paragraph as the MBB's)
Although in recent years, the other 3 audit firms have all gotten back into the consulting business in a big way, but it'll take them a few more years to be in the same league as Deloitte. Whereas, Deloitte is at the same league with the Accenture and IBM of the world. Interesting, a lot of the ex-PwC partners that joined IBM in the sale of PwCC, have re-joined PwC to re-start their consulting practice.

If you do decide to take the consulting offer, take some time to discuss with your recruiter to see what practice/industry they will place you in. That will be the most important decision they make in deciding your future in the consulting firm. YOu will want to be put in a practice that is growing and at the forefront of the technology field. This is like back in the 90's/2000's when new grads get placed into their SAP practice were golden, they get placed into high profile projects, their utilization rate is always at the top of their peers. Whereas, someone that gets put into a less popular practice, will fall behind to their peers. Its not a coincident that a lot of the current big 4 partners have a background in SAP and its related services.
Since your offer is in the Technology group, SAP/ERP still represents a large percentage of their business. But ironically that is a slowing practice now, you don't want to get placed in that now. YOu'll want to be part of their Cloud, big data, mobile, and anything with analytic.
good luck with your decision, exciting times for you for sure.

(disclosure: 20 years of consulting experience, went through most of the firms discussed here, and now an independent consultant)
Last edited by commie on Aug 7th, 2017 11:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
May 24, 2007
552 posts
213 upvotes
First off. I have never done consulting. I am primarily in audit now so I can only speak about that.

Audit in the lower level is indeed soul crushing. First years are generally asked to do boring and mundane tasks. To give you an example, You will probably be assigned the asset side sections such as cash, investment or expense side on the income statement sections. For most for profit entities, the emphasis is on existence and accuracy for these sections. Therefore, you will be vouching A LOT of items on the clients' books. For cash, you will be looking at clients' O/S deposits and payments and vouch to subsequent bank statements, for expense, you will be sampling clients' expense ledger, and vouch each sampled item to actual invoice and payment to bank...etc. Clearly, the tasks do not require much brain power and you will be doing this for two years. Your second year will get better as you are more experienced and can take on the more interesting sections such as deferred revenue, stock comp, AP, revenue...etc. But your experience will be very similar as a 2nd year comparing to a first year. You can think of your first two years as your training phase.

It only gets more interesting when you hit third year. Unfortunately, this is when people decide auditing is not for them and decide to quit and go to industry. As a senior, you won't be doing much actual work, you basically act as the project manager, you are the clients' main contact and you will be running the audit team on the ground. One of the most interesting aspect of the job is having to come up with new or interesting ways to test clients' balances. To give you an example, you are auditing accruals but the client is not able to provide you with a aging listing of AP how can you test for completeness? One approach is to ask yourself what are some of the accruals that almost all companies have: insurance, payroll accrual, audit fee accrual, taxes...etc. Or you can scan subsequent GL to see if there are any big payments...etc.... You really have to think outside the box a bit. You will also be drafting the final letters to the audit committee about the audit results, internal controls deficiencies and recommendations, follow up commentary on prior year's deficiencies, drafting the final copy of the financial statements, ensuring all the managers' partners' queries are answered and ensuring the file gets locked down and submitted to quality control in a timely basis...etc.

Also, you will be the first person to notice something is wrong such as test of control failure, inconsistent accounting standards application or interesting lawsuits through review of minutes. It will be up to you to determine whether the audit team should alter their approach and whether the problems are material. A good senior will have a good nose for bullshit, able to make audit decisions on the fly and write up good documentation to cover the team's ass. Not to mention, you will have the opportunities to manage people 2 years into your career. Not many other jobs give you management opportunities this early.

Having said all that though.... all the sob stories you hear from people in public practice is also true... Ridiculous deadlines, managers who don't care about you nor about the job, partners who only care about the budget and don't care if the team has been working 12 hours days for the past 7 days...etc.

I hope you get a better idea of what auditors do. If you are interested in going from audit to consulting later on, a lot of people do IS audits (evaluating IT general controls, disaster recovery plans, business continuity plans...etc.) and eventually move into the risk management arm. I personally don't know much about this as my firm's risk management arm is pretty small and not a big focus of our firm. Maybe some of the big 4ers can chime in about how to transition from audit to consulting.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
@commie Excellent post, agreed with everything!

This post should be saved for any future posters looking to join Consulting.
Sep 28, 2013
836 posts
625 upvotes
I think you lost me at 'audit has value creation and consulting doesn't'

I know if given the choice between consulting and audit at big 4, I would take consulting 10/10. And I'm not a consultant, by the way. I'm not an accountant either, but I deal with accounting on a daily basis.
Apr 13, 2010
132 posts
35 upvotes
McKinsey wrote: @commie Excellent post, agreed with everything!

This post should be saved for any future posters looking to join Consulting.
Consultant here. I've worked very close to the people from the practice that are giving you offers. Overall I agree with Commie and Mckinsey are correct - you need to think of "optionality" as what my friend said. From my experience of what has been shown from quarterly numbers, Audit is currently going on a difficult disruption in terms of the industry at this time (though many others can comment on this). Consulting at Deloitte is probably the highest revenue generating business, especially if its Cloud implementation. Keep in mind, its also central to implementing other digital strategies as well.

But here's the kicker - I'd argue that exit opportunity will only work in your favour if you stay longer than 2 years, which usually is a progression period for a big4 company. Consulting is tough. Aside from long hours, challenging work, and constant optics, you need to give up opportunity costs in other areas (e.g. dating can be difficult). If you play the game right, you may be able to be in a better situation within the firm (public sector practice is often more 9-5, which mirrors the client pace).

The other difficulty with this, is that it can be hard to find a support group in terms of vulnerability; everyone gossips when the grapevine is called upon to assess whether someone is a fit for a potential project. Show your vulnerabilities to someone you can trust that will speak highly of you; but this is not an easy feat. You also need to constantly be a cheerleader for yourself and the firm, in the sense that you may be in a position to recruit and speak highly of a firm that may at times be unjust or difficult to work with.

For Deloitte, I'd say consulting is not only a lifestyle but an attitude. They really are looking to position themselves as a leader in the market place.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
I'd be interested to know what got you both an audit offer and a Tech Consulting offer. They are both very different skill sets leading to very different paths.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
3283 posts
869 upvotes
Not that unusual for an university graduate to receive an offer for big 4 audit and consulting job through on campus recruiting.
At the entry level positions both industry will be looking for similar personality and 'soft' skills. The rest can be trained.

Back in the day, it wasn't uncommon at my university to have the good students interview with and receive offers from audit firms and consulting firms. Of course the top students would not bother with the audit firms, they would go for the IB's and MBB consulting firms.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1474 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
commie wrote: If you do decide to take the consulting offer, take some time to discuss with your recruiter to see what practice/industry they will place you in. That will be the most important decision they make in deciding your future in the consulting firm. YOu will want to be put in a practice that is growing and at the forefront of the technology field. This is like back in the 90's/2000's when new grads get placed into their SAP practice were golden, they get placed into high profile projects, their utilization rate is always at the top of their peers. Whereas, someone that gets put into a less popular practice, will fall behind to their peers. Its not a coincident that a lot of the current big 4 partners have a background in SAP and its related services.
Since your offer is in the Technology group, SAP/ERP still represents a large percentage of their business. But ironically that is a slowing practice now, you don't want to get placed in that now. YOu'll want to be part of their Cloud, big data, mobile, and anything with analytic.

(disclosure: 20 years of consulting experience, went through most of the firms discussed here, and now an independent consultant)
Deloitte's SAP practice was pitiful when I was there in 2008 to 2010. At the time, Accenture was much bigger in the SAP space...but D owned the Peoplesoft space. So, it really depends specifically what you are hoping to get into as to where one may want to apply.
Aug 5, 2017
184 posts
92 upvotes
Thank you all for taking the time to answer me !
lukidanu wrote: Hey Dante, how much exposure have you had to each career path? both are quite different in terms of skills and day to day work, but similar in terms of client interaction. and within each of them, the levels can be quite different. each has it's pros and cons.

re: the differences/similarities - In a high-level nutshell:
Audit: interact with clients; understand their business; look at what they have from a financial lense to see if you can spot any inconsistencies or areas of improvement; provide recommendations; [optional - if you're part of the advisory group, you might not do this] execute on the recommendations
Consulting: interact with clients; understand their business; look at what they have from a technology lense to see how you can add value; provide recommendations; [optional - if you're part of the strategy group, you might not do this] execute on the recommendations

re: exit opportunities - there are tons of exit opportunities from consulting as well. many end up going to a client that they've worked for (consider it an extended interview on both sides)

re: pros and cons - Both are group and situation dependant. Consulting can be as soul-sucking as audit; and audit can be just as different every day and non-routine as consulting.

The other consideration is that your decision isn't permanent. You can do audit for 5 years then switch to consulting or do consulting for 7 years then switch to audit (yes that can happen although less-so as this is going from general to specific, where as audit-->consulting is specific to general). Or do something different altogether.

from the content-tone of your post it seems like you prefer audit, but hear bad things; and on the flip side, hear interesting things about consulting which cannot confirm or deny. What I'm assuming is that you haven't been able to get a good enough sense of what consultants do to be comfortable in saying yes/no, is that fair? if that's the case, I'd be happy to elaborate more.

FYI: I was a management consultant in tech for 12+ years
That's exactly it. I don't "prefer" audit, it's just that using my rationale and judging from the things i know today, audit seems to open more doors. But this positive aspect of audit (exit opps) is foiled down by the fact that it is not very interesting work, i know it gets better (like every job usually) but having to go through all that "uninteresting work" might be hard, and it might seem better to spend it on something more interesting from the start
commie wrote: At the end of the day, you are in a very enviable position, and you can't really go wrong in either choice. Really depends what your interests are and the type of person you are.
With audit, its more structured program build for you to get your CPA as quick as possible. You know what your assignments will be.
For consulting, you really have to be a go getter and have more initiative, and a bit of luck in terms of what industry/practice you get assigned to when you first joined. It'll be like you are going for job interviews constantly to get placed on projects. Your future and performance ratings will depend on how billable you are. The easier you are to get assigned on projects, the faster you will get promoted. But you constantly are required, to sell yourself, whether if that is to the clients, your partners, your project managers, your colleagues. See if you are comfortable in that environment. YOu can't rely on the resource manager to get you your next project, unlike Audit.

From an exit opportunities perspective, you can't go wrong with either choice. They both offer exceptional options, and with a big4 firm's name on your resume, it certainly open plenty of doors if you so choose to use them. For consulting, some of the exit opportunities are: other consulting firms with higher title, go into industry as IT directors, join existing clients, and the big money is if you develop a niche skillset and become an independent consultant. That is when you can write your own cheque(think charging 120-140 dollars a hour and keeping each cent without giving it back to your firm).

I'll chime in on McKinsey's opinion on why he thinks Deloitte is the preferred consulting firm of the big 4(Deloitte, PwC, E&Y, KPMG), I would think he shares the same sentiment. From the big 4 firms standpoint, Deloitte Consulting is the only firm that kept its consulting arm and thus, currently is the largest and the only one that offers the full breadth of consulting services. The other 3 firms over the last 10-15 years(since the whole Enron and Arthur Andersen incident) have gotten rid of their consulting practice. E&Y spun its consulting arm to become Cap Gemini E & Y, and they have not been doing well in the industry. KPMG spun off their consulting arm to become BearingPoint. PwC sold off its PwCC practice to IBM. Unlike the other 3, Deloitte Consulting is fully integrated with their Audit partners, and have been acquiring other key strategy consulting firms. Started with Braxton in the 90's, and the biggest coup of all, is buying The Monitor Group and integrating them into Deloitte Consulting. (It can be argued that getting The Monitor Group into its fold, if integrated properly will put them into the same sentence paragraph as the MBB's)
Although in recent years, the other 3 audit firms have all gotten back into the consulting business in a big way, but it'll take them a few more years to be in the same league as Deloitte. Whereas, Deloitte is at the same league with the Accenture and IBM of the world. Interesting, a lot of the ex-PwC partners that joined IBM in the sale of PwCC, have re-joined PwC to re-start their consulting practice.

If you do decide to take the consulting offer, take some time to discuss with your recruiter to see what practice/industry they will place you in. That will be the most important decision they make in deciding your future in the consulting firm. YOu will want to be put in a practice that is growing and at the forefront of the technology field. This is like back in the 90's/2000's when new grads get placed into their SAP practice were golden, they get placed into high profile projects, their utilization rate is always at the top of their peers. Whereas, someone that gets put into a less popular practice, will fall behind to their peers. Its not a coincident that a lot of the current big 4 partners have a background in SAP and its related services.

Thanks for the great post !
The thing is i'm a very structured kind of person and it is a bit disturbing to think about a career (consulting) without having a clear path in mind as to what i could do in the future if i ever wanted to do something else. It seems easier for an auditor to do that, they can achieve work life balance after a few years and go work for the federal government for example. Whereas in the case of consultants, it seems they're always in the same kind of fast paced and highly stressed environment. Auditors can also go to Transactions services and then Private equity altough there's a risk of being pigeonholed as an accountant..
I know "consulting" seems sexy on the paper, but as i said, i'm not talking about strategy consulting which is every business student's wet dream and has a lot of exit opps (basically anything) i'm talking about the other aspect of it, performance improvement and the like... (not such a great pay compared to strategy firms, lot of travel, long hours, annoying clients etc..) It's just that i feel that i'm really torn apart right now, i feel like audit will give me real competencies and skills whereas consulting seems to be a lot more about soft skills and making relationships (not tangible). On the other hand i never liked accounting in school, that's why i'm considering consulting
Speaking of exit opps, i'm guessing an exit opps for consulting might be looking like this : http://client.njoyn.com/CL2/xweb/Xweb.a ... 169&lang=1
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2009
1012 posts
150 upvotes
McKinsey wrote: CONSULTING, no question. Ideally Deloitte Consulting.
Pretty sure MBB consulting would be better...
"Because ten billion years' time is so fragile, so ephemeral... it arouses such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness."
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
3283 posts
869 upvotes
TidalDreams wrote: Pretty sure MBB consulting would be better...
Lol....that is like saying the sky is blue....or if your aunt had balls, she'll be your uncle..

you need to put what he said in the context of this thread/conversation.
Aug 5, 2017
184 posts
92 upvotes
commie wrote: Lol....that is like saying the sky is blue....or if your aunt had balls, she'll be your uncle..

you need to put what he said in the context of this thread/conversation.
Don't mind him, i think he's trolling...
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
3283 posts
869 upvotes
dante01 wrote: The thing is i'm a very structured kind of person and it is a bit disturbing to think about a career (consulting) without having a clear path in mind as to what i could do in the future if i ever wanted to do something else. It seems easier for an auditor to do that, they can achieve work life balance after a few years and go work for the federal government for example. Whereas in the case of consultants, it seems they're always in the same kind of fast paced and highly stressed environment. Auditors can also go to Transactions services and then Private equity altough there's a risk of being pigeonholed as an accountant..
I know "consulting" seems sexy on the paper, but as i said, i'm not talking about strategy consulting which is every business student's wet dream and has a lot of exit opps (basically anything) i'm talking about the other aspect of it, performance improvement and the like... (not such a great pay compared to strategy firms, lot of travel, long hours, annoying clients etc..) It's just that i feel that i'm really torn apart right now, i feel like audit will give me real competencies and skills whereas consulting seems to be a lot more about soft skills and making relationships (not tangible). On the other hand i never liked accounting in school, that's why i'm considering consulting
Speaking of exit opps, i'm guessing an exit opps for consulting might be looking like this : http://client.njoyn.com/CL2/xweb/Xweb.a ... 169&lang=1
I think you just answered your own question there. If you don't like accounting in school, then don't go into auditing. You'll grow to hate it more. Pick a career that at least you will like and enjoy doing.
And those 'soft skills' and relationship building is important in audit as well, once you become a Senior/manager in audit, a big part of your engagement is to build client relationships and manage your team.
I won't worry too much about comparing Strategy vs. technology/process consulting. Sure, everyone and their dog wants to work for MBB.
But you know what is funny about the consulting industry? The MBB's are trying to get more implementation projects, while the traditional technology firms are trying to get more strategy projects.
Take a look at a firm like Accenture, a firm that is born out of building custom computer application for clients. Nowadays, their Accenture Strategy practice is one of their fastest growing. Same thing for Deloitte Consulting and IBM Global Business Services. They all have significant presence in the pure strategy play.
This trend will continue, as the world is going crazy for Big Data and Analytic. The FP500 firms want consultants they partner with to have the full-breadth of capabilities.

Not sure what firm you have the offer at, but if you are joining as a technology consultant, there is no reason why after 2-3 years of gaining industry experience, you can't transfer to the strategy side. Either within the firm, or to an external firm. If that is what you enjoy. But a lot of folks end up hating doing strategy consulting, and much prefer doing the technology consulting. You won't know till you give it a try.

As for that post you linked, that would be an exit opportunity for someone who wants to go semi-retired. lol
The experiences they are asking(10+years of PM) and the responsbilities and lenght(3 year contract) is crazy to expect to pay that person a top range of $130K.
If I got that posting from a recruiter, I wont' even bother to return the email/call.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)