Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
247 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto

career paths for CMA's

I'm a recently designated CMA. I'm starting to have some concerns about the field I've chosen for myself.

I saw a figure of $130K as the median earnings when I was starting out. Since them I'm starting to doubt this figure is accurate. When I was asked by CMA last year what my salary was, which was optional to answer, I didnt bother since it was embarrassingly low. A number of my friends did the same. So I'm guessing this figure is skewed. But even if that wasnt the case the median salary within a designation would be achieved after, what, 15 years? I guess that figure isnt anything to sneeze at but I do have friends my age (I'm 31) who are already making that kinda money. Me, I'm MUCH lower than that. What kinda potential is there for money?

Also, this might be a tough question but lemme ask it - are there any jobs for us which we can actually enjoy? I realize part of this depends on the person's attitude, or a person's fit with what they're doing -- but I also think one can generalize quite a bit. For example the worst jobs I did back in university were telemarketing and door to door sales. I think pretty much anyone would agree with that. The best job I ever did back in university was being a security guard (in a condo where you're sitting down and chilling, not on your feet and actually doing something), which again I think a lot of people who've done it can agree its awesome. So taking away the personal preference angle what jobs within Accounting / Finance are actually fun, or more interesting? Approx salary ranges would be awesome as well.

Thanks guys
Dan
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1467 posts
502 upvotes
so from your personal preference, you'd essentially like to be doing some routine desk job where you don't have to do much, and would like to get paid more for that, say around 100K... am i correct?
Jan 14, 2010
281 posts
191 upvotes
GTA
The data is skewed and like you said...people don't respond! and honestly the designation does not cap your salary potential, it is your skill set and how you leverage them. Reaching the 130k salary may take a couple years or may never happen, it is totally dependent on each individual and the market conditions!

My only advice is to continue learning as much as possible and keep exploring your options as you progress through your career! I am sure you will find what you love!

I am just a recent graduate so take my opinion with a grain of salt!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2004
5791 posts
50 upvotes
OP, you realized these things AFTER you finished your CMA? Didn't you do additional research before going head-first into a 10-12K investment?

A student who just graduated university and got his CMA, compared to a senior manager/director who just got his CMA; obvioiusly there is a big salary difference.

The letters don't automatically entitle you to money. You still gotta work your way up and gain the years of experience you need to get to that level.

Also it depends on the industry you are in as well, and your own self drive to want to keep doing better within the organization.

Based on what you said about your best job being a security guard, and just sitting there not doing much - then I think it isn't the CMA that's dragging your salary down. I think it's more like your goals and objectives are a bit different than those whom make $130K +
rems wrote: yes...for those that say it doesn't are lying. There has to be some sort of physical attraction (unless you're visually impaired obviously). Looks get you there and personality keeps you there.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
2878 posts
795 upvotes
7jai wrote: Based on what you said about your best job being a security guard, and just sitting there not doing much - then I think it isn't the CMA that's dragging your salary down. I think it's more like your goals and objectives are a bit different than those whom make $130K +
+1, those whom make $130K+ are most likely busting (or bust'ed') their a$$ 60 hours a week minimum for years...