Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 4, 2011
185 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto

Career and Salary Progression for CMAs?

I always see people saying with CMA your salary really jumps high. So, if you could list the positions you held, for how long along with salaries before and after CMA. Do mention when did you become a CMA also!
2 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
310 upvotes
I think it is difficult to generalise. But having a CMA says you have good management accounting skills and gives a steping stone into something bigger than before a CMA. How far you go depends on your personal skills, your networking, the company you work for and the promotional opportunities, the economy, etc. etc. The sky may be the limit. As u can appreciate, there are a couple of thousands CMA graduating each year, plus there are CGA and CMA graduates, therefore the competition is keen.

Some years back, I read that the average annual salary is about 130k and considering that the average age of working population may be around 42 yrs old, you may expect to earn that much at age 42.

I got my CMA long long times ago, when it was known RIA (registerd industial accountant).
[OP]
Nov 4, 2011
185 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
clumzy1 wrote: I always see people saying with CMA your salary really jumps high. So, if you could list the positions you held, for how long along with salaries before and after CMA. Do mention when did you become a CMA also!
Lately, I have seen a lot of people going this route..

1st job post undergrad

Financial Analyst - 45k - work 3 years and start CMA

Once they get their CMA they jump ship and most are around the 75k mark. Some even jump ship in the first year of their financial analyst job. From 45 to 75 thats a big leap, and I was curious if that is just an exaggeration or is actually a real salary one can expect? You are right with so many CMAs now its more like a necessary thing to have but experience and skillset is what distinguishes one from another