careers that have low learning curve ? which ones

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2021 12:40 pm
[OP]
Jun 9, 2020
29 posts
13 upvotes

careers that have low learning curve ? which ones

what a career that doesnt have much change. i studied IT before but never worked in the field. i dont like it as there too much change. always have to learn new things. i got add and learning disability and have steep learning curve. thinking of barbering but then got deal with mean clients and picky people. i dont like construction as i did it before and its way too tiring. im in my early 40s. any suggestions.
i dont want to do retail , valet, labour, and low wage jobs anymore. i did it for way too long and too old for that,
thought of truck driving but i dont want be away from home. my parents are co dependent on me.

any suggestions please
48 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20031 posts
5419 upvotes
Good Morning
Bank call center? They're work from home nowadays
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4166 posts
2950 upvotes
bank teller, bookkeeper, cashier, factory job, PSW, receptionist, online/chat customer or technical support (e.g. Home Depot)
[OP]
Jun 9, 2020
29 posts
13 upvotes
hierophant wrote: bank teller, bookkeeper, cashier, factory job, PSW, receptionist, online/chat customer or technical support (e.g. Home Depot)
i got fired from tech support before. was lot to take in during training. didnt catch on fast enough and got let go
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4166 posts
2950 upvotes
monchichipower wrote: i got fired from tech support before. was lot to take in during training. didnt catch on fast enough and got let go
Well I did provide 7 other options - instead of focussing on which one doesn't work for you why not focus on others that might.
Sep 25, 2020
102 posts
31 upvotes
Canada Post - mail delivery
Or
Bell Canada Technician (outdoor- setup dsl)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44635 posts
7737 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Not much really. I think this thread is going to turn into one where the OP turns down every suggestion.

However if you land a janitor position working for the city or government... like a Hospital or Toronto community housing... You can put in enough hours and make $60k/yr with full benefits and pension.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2020
29 posts
13 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Not much really. I think this thread is going to turn into one where the OP turns down every suggestion.

However if you land a janitor position working for the city or government... like a Hospital or Toronto community housing... You can put in enough hours and make $60k/yr with full benefits and pension.
those jobs are very hard to get. i applied for government postions. im trying to get a grant by government and do barbering school. not physical job like construction
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44635 posts
7737 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
monchichipower wrote: those jobs are very hard to get. i applied for government postions. im trying to get a grant by government and do barbering school. not physical job like construction
Try everyday for the next 10 years. For the type who has low education & low prospects...this is like their ticket out.

I’ve seen some people not that bright... but hard workers (maybe not smart workers) kind honest people get these jobs. Then they’re set for life!
Jun 6, 2013
498 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto, ON
yeah, jobs like janitor or admin assistant that get you 30-40k in private sector will probably get you 60k + benefits and pension in government.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4166 posts
2950 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Not much really. I think this thread is going to turn into one where the OP turns down every suggestion.
Yep ...
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11456 posts
3719 upvotes
Toronto
So OP is looking for a new career, that doesn't have to learn much things, work from home or close to home, not low wages.
No retail, no labor work, no driving, no construction. Neutral Face

:facepalm:
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jun 18, 2020
287 posts
243 upvotes
monchichipower wrote:
i dont want to do retail , valet, labour, and low wage jobs anymore.
What salary would you be willing to work for?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3418 posts
1002 upvotes
Edmonton
monchichipower wrote: what a career that doesnt have much change. i studied IT before but never worked in the field. i dont like it as there too much change. always have to learn new things. i got add and learning disability and have steep learning curve. thinking of barbering but then got deal with mean clients and picky people. i dont like construction as i did it before and its way too tiring. im in my early 40s. any suggestions.
i dont want to do retail , valet, labour, and low wage jobs anymore. i did it for way too long and too old for that,
thought of truck driving but i dont want be away from home. my parents are co dependent on me.

any suggestions please
You sound super lazy. IT too much learning. Construction too much work?

There's nothing to help you, your screwed. Buy a franchise and hope you can hire the right people to make it all work for you
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4698 posts
3791 upvotes
JuniorMint wrote: yeah, jobs like janitor or admin assistant that get you 30-40k in private sector will probably get you 60k + benefits and pension in government.
not really. even in public, admin assistants (not talking executive assistants, but more like clerical staff) and janitors (if not outsourced) are like around $20/hr and maxes out in the mid $20s

eg caretaker at a school board (~ $23-$26/hr range)
https://www.tcdsb.org/Careers/Immediate ... c-2020.pdf
https://network.applytoeducation.com/Ap ... e=en&maf=0

gardener at city of markham (but requires degree in horticulture) pays almost $30/hr but requires degree and experience

https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/def ... lang=en_CA

in provincial or federal or even some municipal, have to be careful that people don't mistake a clerk or admin assistants (for executives/snr management) with regular clerical or admin support.

a cleaner at a hospital or LTC (public ones) should also be in the low/mid 20s range

https://york.njoyn.com/cl2/xweb/XWeb.as ... 046&lang=1
[OP]
Jun 9, 2020
29 posts
13 upvotes
GTA12345 wrote: What salary would you be willing to work for?
i dont care really about wage. a bit above minimum wage . i know the higher the wage the more smart and more stress and etc....
[OP]
Jun 9, 2020
29 posts
13 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: You sound super lazy. IT too much learning. Construction too much work?

There's nothing to help you, your screwed. Buy a franchise and hope you can hire the right people to make it all work for you
i been told im super lazy too.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44635 posts
7737 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
monchichipower wrote: i been told im super lazy too.
The world is getting more competitive every single year.
So frAnkly.... there is no hope for you. Sorry to sound so brutal...

Even minimum wage jobs are highly competitive these days. Think about all the people who got laid off from covid... how battered the economy is... now you got people smarter and more hard working then you fighting for those minimum wage jobs.

You do seem to have your heart set on cutting hair. Perhaps that might be your calling.
If you get good at making “sick fades”... you’ll have line ups.
Jan 28, 2017
732 posts
784 upvotes
Markham
lol i cannot believe this is a real thread....

OP do you have a car? Why don't you drive uber eats or doordash, seems easy enough and in demand service these days?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1914 posts
1123 upvotes
Cutting hair isn't easy. Unless you have a good portfolio, existing clients and resume, you're likely stuck working at a $8-10 cheap cuts joint - these customers aren't exactly tip generous. I go to one of these places because I'm loyal to my stylist and tip her generously, but I often see people not tipping at all. Or you can rent a chair, but that requires you bring in your own clientele which I'm not sure you're capable of. It's also a skilled profession, there's much more than giving your dad a buzz cut in the washroom. Lastly, with Covid, these cheap places have taken a massive hit. Where the $10 matters most, these people have learnt to cut their own. She told me business was a lot quieter after the first lockdown.

You listed everything that you can't do, which is almost everything. What skills DO you have? If you have interpersonal skills, maybe go sell cars?

I hate to say it, but you need to work on your attitude and outlook. You sound like the ones that nobody want and always regret when hired. I think your dependence on your parents (not the other way around) is your downfall.