Expired Hot Deals

[Caretek.ca] MSI GS65 RTX2060 15.6" laptop (GS65-8SE-093CA) - $1485 [HOT]

Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1299 posts
633 upvotes
Near GTA
ReadAllTheDeals wrote: Looking at the specs and build, the price seems a bit high. The best part is the video card but low ram and drive space. Heat issues. Iffy repairs. Meh. Not that great in my books.
The 15” MSI stealth is a top option in the thin and light gaming market. I’m not sure you know what you’re talking about. Feel free to give comparison options to support your view and it better be this light, small and fantastic looking as the stealth.

The only issue with this one here is it’s refurb. All thin and light options have heat concerns. Every single one. Most solved with a fresh thermal repaste. If you can’t solve the RAM or drive sizes yourself, feel free to overpay OEMs to do it for you.
Member
Jan 4, 2019
458 posts
465 upvotes
chrischris84 wrote: The 15” MSI stealth is a top option in the thin and light gaming market. I’m not sure you know what you’re talking about. Feel free to give comparison options to support your view and it better be this light, small and fantastic looking as the stealth.

The only issue with this one here is it’s refurb. All thin and light options have heat concerns. Every single one. Most solved with a fresh thermal repaste. If you can’t solve the RAM or drive sizes yourself, feel free to overpay OEMs to do it for you.
So, your rebuttal is that it looks good? Gotcha.

Personally, functional comes first. If you need to repaste a cpu out of the box, undervolt and monitor your heat like a hawk that's a no-go for me.

Spec wise. This laptops just not there. For this price range you're getting into a custom build range by several known builders with a higher quality build. Have to add ram and ssd right off the bat? Ok, add that to the price and look for a laptop in that range. That's just a hassle not needed for a laptop of this price range.

But hey, if you want to baby your laptop so it doesn't cook your desk, go for it.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1299 posts
633 upvotes
Near GTA
ReadAllTheDeals wrote: So, your rebuttal is that it looks good? Gotcha.
Correct. Fit and form is the exact reason to buy the MSI stealth lineup. If fit and form is not top priority, then this machine is not for you. Not hard to understand and definetly not worth bashing because you incorrectly compare this to much larger/uglier looking machines
Member
Jan 4, 2019
458 posts
465 upvotes
chrischris84 wrote: Correct. Fit and form is the exact reason to buy the MSI stealth lineup. If fit and form is not top priority, then this machine is not for you. Not hard to understand and definetly not worth bashing because you incorrectly compare this to much larger/uglier looking machines

If it looks good, who cares how it runs? Personally, I'd rather it run well first. If it runs well and looks good, amazing.

All I was saying originally was this price makes no real sense. If it works for you, great. But other deals have been posted that were a much better value.
Sr. Member
Aug 31, 2006
573 posts
370 upvotes
Calgary
ReadAllTheDeals wrote: If it looks good, who cares how it runs? Personally, I'd rather it run well first. If it runs well and looks good, amazing.

All I was saying originally was this price makes no real sense. If it works for you, great. But other deals have been posted that were a much better value.
I feel like you've pretty much made a point against your argument. As you say, you wouldn't mind your laptop running well and looking good.

The majority of cheaper laptops definitely do not look good if you cheap out. Not to mention the extra weight and dimensions you wouldn't want in a laptop.
Newbie
Sep 1, 2019
17 posts
6 upvotes
I agree, portability and battery life are the biggest factors for me since I'm going to be using this laptop for school and work. But I need something that can atleast pull similar performance to my PC (it's more than a few years old now). Don't feel like lugging around a 5lb Lenovo with a 3lb power brick. Those larger laptops win as desktop laptops, sure... but that kind of defeats the purpose. The aero, zephyrus, or gs65 win in this category by a long shot. Sub $1500 is a steal... Now let's just see if they deliver.
Member
Mar 8, 2007
453 posts
576 upvotes
DannenJ99072 wrote: I agree, portability and battery life are the biggest factors for me since I'm going to be using this laptop for school and work. But I need something that can atleast pull similar performance to my PC (it's more than a few years old now). Don't feel like lugging around a 5lb Lenovo with a 3lb power brick. Those larger laptops win as desktop laptops, sure... but that kind of defeats the purpose. The aero, zephyrus, or gs65 win in this category by a long shot. Sub $1500 is a steal... Now let's just see if they deliver.
i have an older stealth - some issues that you might note:

the power brick is big on these.

the screen hinge on the stealth is an issue - i don't know if they have fixed it on the newer models. do a google search and see.
Jr. Member
Apr 15, 2017
110 posts
137 upvotes
Stanleyzheng wrote: Edit 2: Now that you've said it's a 1060 max Q, the RTX2060 is 100% (2x) faster:
Stop spreading BS. The RTX 2060 in this laptop is about 37% faster than the GTX 1060 Max-Q.
Image

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/comp ... 4085vs3769

Similar percentages can be inferred from other synthetic benchmarks such as 3DMark 11: https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Ge ... 946.0.html https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Ge ... 734.0.html
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 15, 2019
41 posts
73 upvotes
vintazh wrote: Stop spreading BS. The RTX 2060 in this laptop is about 37% faster than the GTX 1060 Max-Q.
Image

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/comp ... 4085vs3769

Similar percentages can be inferred from other synthetic benchmarks such as 3DMark 11: https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Ge ... 946.0.html https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Ge ... 734.0.html
Just because we are using different sources does not mean you're right and I'm wrong. I jsut realized I was comparing the desktop 2060 to the 1060 max q. My bad, it was not my intention. However, in real-world aplications, there is still quite a large margin.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeForce-G ... 598.0.html
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
17137 posts
19066 upvotes
vintazh wrote: Stop spreading BS. The RTX 2060 in this laptop is about 37% faster than the GTX 1060 Max-Q.
Image

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/comp ... 4085vs3769

Similar percentages can be inferred from other synthetic benchmarks such as 3DMark 11: https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Ge ... 946.0.html https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Ge ... 734.0.html
I didn't say anything because we had a mutual understanding at that point... But yes, you're absolutely right.
Newbie
Apr 20, 2019
24 posts
15 upvotes
Average price has increased significantly so you just won't find anything like what you're describing anytime soon. Sounds like one of those price error dudes... UNLIKELY TO HAPPEN anytime soon.

If you could find something like what you are describing though zlrt me know as in really looking for a laptop like yours at this price point.
Sr. Member
Sep 23, 2014
635 posts
913 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dealsteban wrote: Average price has increased significantly so you just won't find anything like what you're describing anytime soon. Sounds like one of those price error dudes... UNLIKELY TO HAPPEN anytime soon.

If you could find something like what you are describing though zlrt me know as in really looking for a laptop like yours at this price point.
Keep a lookout for Dell sales. It's basically stacking discounts and coupons, like this G7 with i7-9750H, RTX 2080mQ, IPS 144HZ for $1691 after discounts.
dell-blazing-hot-i7-9750h-gtx-2080-ips- ... 1-2307155/

Top