Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5507 posts
527 upvotes
Toronto

Carpenter Ants

So my first home and I have seen several 'Queen' Carpenter ants I would say (Large Wings, body size. 1.5cm, mandibles look like carpenter ants.). All of them are the same. I find one every 2-3 days.

I assume I don't have a big problem yet. I will be trying to seal everything with caulking as I don't know where they are coming from.

Or should I be worried?

When found, they are killed.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1376 posts
393 upvotes
Brampton
DaveTheDude wrote: Spray the complete outside perimeter of your house. The ants are coming in from the outside looking for a food source.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ortho- ... 1001029105
Keep the receipt handy. I used similar “Animal b gon” to get rid of squirrel and it was total garbage. They have satisfaction guarantee so I opened a case and sent the receipt and bar code from label to their US office and got a cheque last week.

I use Terro baits for ants and have good success

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/terr ... p.html#srp
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5507 posts
527 upvotes
Toronto
dealerguy wrote: Keep the receipt handy. I used similar “Animal b gon” to get rid of squirrel and it was total garbage. They have satisfaction guarantee so I opened a case and sent the receipt and bar code from label to their US office and got a cheque last week.

I use Terro baits for ants and have good success

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/terr ... p.html#srp
carpenter ants aren't sweet eating ants generally unless its the right time of their cycle. Unless it's the time time, It won't work =/
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4324 posts
4377 upvotes
Vancouver
Carpenter ants are attracted to rotting wood - they generally don't attack wood in good condition, so they're more a symptom of a problem than the cause of it. Check around the outside of your house (and nearby neighbours) to see if there are any piles of rotting wood that would provide a nearby nesting place. In the spring you will get hundreds of winged carpenters coming out of the nest and spreading out around the neighbourhood looking for new nesting sites. It's not unusual to see them outdoors, or have them fly in a window, so it's not necessarily cause for concern if you don't see any more after a few days.

I agree that the standard ant baits meant for sweet or oil eating ants don't work with carpenter ants. I was advised by an expert groundskeeper years ago that diatomaceous earth is the best for getting rid of carpenter ants (for example https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/wils ... 8830p.html), and I have found it to be effective against carpenter ants. It's non-toxic to humans, but the ants hate it and avoid it. If you scatter it on any ant trails, it will break them. If you scatter it around where they are nesting, they will move.
Jun 24, 2005
627 posts
92 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Last year I had carpenter ants, so I bought several Terro Liquid Ant Baits. They didn't eat the bait for the first couple of days, but they eventually did. I had a whole bunch of ants in my master bedroom closet (at a heat vent) and I let them feast till they die. The size ranged from 1cm to 1 inch.
ants.jpg

I found a few gigantic ones in the basement both with and without wings (maybe 1-1/2 inch long).

I think they were all gone after about a week.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9617 posts
5016 upvotes
Paris
rngun wrote: Last year I had carpenter ants, so I bought several Terro Liquid Ant Baits. They didn't eat the bait for the first couple of days, but they eventually did. I had a whole bunch of ants in my master bedroom closet (at a heat vent) and I let them feast till they die. The size ranged from 1cm to 1 inch.

I found a few gigantic ones in the basement both with and without wings (maybe 1-1/2 inch long).

I think they were all gone after about a week.
Similar to my experience using sugar and boric acid. I switched to Terro for the 3 week rebound as my homemade stuff needed to be refreshed daily. No more ants.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5507 posts
527 upvotes
Toronto
I'll try Terro if it gets that bad. Going for sealing up first. Hopefully it is 'sweet' eating time when I do =).