Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2008
5754 posts
474 upvotes

Carpenter bees

The ants seem to be in decline (luckily they never managed to get into the house), but now I got carpenter bees. You'd think with the number of carpenters at my place, they'd have a new deck finished by now.

Anybody can recommend a good pest control company? The problem is that I think they are in the soffit, so it's hard for me to reach them and seal the holes.
8 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36192 posts
10340 upvotes
Ottawa
Archanfel wrote: The ants seem to be in decline (luckily they never managed to get into the house), but now I got carpenter bees. You'd think with the number of carpenters at my place, they'd have a new deck finished by now.

Anybody can recommend a good pest control company? The problem is that I think they are in the soffit, so it's hard for me to reach them and seal the holes.
Really funny, good one on a bad situation.I know a pretty good pest control in Ottawa but don't know where you are.
Anyway, any national chain would be a good choice. Smaller singular companies may be cheaper but, they may also be harder to get back if you have continual problems. Larger companies have longer guarantees.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2008
5754 posts
474 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Really funny, good one on a bad situation.I know a pretty good pest control in Ottawa but don't know where you are.
Anyway, any national chain would be a good choice. Smaller singular companies may be cheaper but, they may also be harder to get back if you have continual problems. Larger companies have longer guarantees.
Thanks. I am in the GTA. Orkin any good?
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4593 posts
1075 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've been using Pesticon for the last few years now. I find their service good, fast and responsive, reasonably priced. They've been able to deal with 3 bee issues, rodents, and squirrels.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12929 posts
7653 upvotes
Markham
I used Rentokil for Carpenter ants before...this was 15-20 yrs ago. If you know where the "nest" is, you can fix your problem relatively easily.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Feb 21, 2004
994 posts
195 upvotes
Hamilton
I thought they would be finished laying their eggs by now? I had a good fight with them earlier in May, it is actually not that hard to identify all the holes they burr as the while the female is :drilling" the male keeps guard. I think I got 100% of them this time- I would just spray anti-wasp foam into the hole and the female would die, then male just leaves.
Interesting that they managed to get into your soffits, I thought they only use exposed wood for their nests... Actually the damage from carpenter bees is minimal (1/2" hole) and would not bother me, but the problem is that later woodpeckers make 1.5" holes to get to the carpenter bee larvae...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2008
5754 posts
474 upvotes
Dekster wrote: I thought they would be finished laying their eggs by now? I had a good fight with them earlier in May, it is actually not that hard to identify all the holes they burr as the while the female is :drilling" the male keeps guard. I think I got 100% of them this time- I would just spray anti-wasp foam into the hole and the female would die, then male just leaves.
Interesting that they managed to get into your soffits, I thought they only use exposed wood for their nests... Actually the damage from carpenter bees is minimal (1/2" hole) and would not bother me, but the problem is that later woodpeckers make 1.5" holes to get to the carpenter bee larvae...
Thanks. My soffit is wood and the paint is peeling at places, thus the issue. Too expensive to replace the soffit. I might try to paint it, but again due to the location, it's not easy.

LOL about woodpeckers. Yeah, I heard that too.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16942 posts
1787 upvotes
Thornhill
Dekster wrote: I thought they would be finished laying their eggs by now? I had a good fight with them earlier in May, it is actually not that hard to identify all the holes they burr as the while the female is :drilling" the male keeps guard. I think I got 100% of them this time- I would just spray anti-wasp foam into the hole and the female would die, then male just leaves.
I dealt with my first carpenter bee this summer. Did the same thing and there were no more wood shavings. Not sure if they're dead though.

Another recommendation was to use sticky tape to trap the bee as it comes out.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products