• Feb 3rd, 2020 10:49 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
2935 posts
1412 upvotes
GTA

Carpet cleaning to remove pet stains

Bought an investment house (Brampton) which has some pet stains and heavy odour on one floor. Previous owners did steam cleaning (attached a receipt for 140$), but the stains and odour is still there. I also used a bissell Steam clearer myself, but doesn’t seem to get rid of the odour.

Any recommendations for carpet cleaning company which can remove the stains and odour ? I called one 4.9 star company (TruKlean), but he was honest and said they cannot remove the pet stains very well.

If nothing works, I may need to replace the flooring itself (and install laminate).
7 replies
Jan 11, 2017
164 posts
90 upvotes
Replace, that piss goes right to the subfloor. Clean and oil prime the subfloor before new flooring.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5310 posts
5427 upvotes
Ottawa
Pet urine can actually bleach the carpet. No steam cleaning can reverse that.

Tear up the carpet and check the subfloor. If the subfloor has only minor stains you may be able to seal them with Killex before installing new flooring.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5889 posts
2135 upvotes
Space
Agreed with the other posts, tear out carpet and underpad at the minimum. The subfloor may also smell and may need replacement.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
2935 posts
1412 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the suggestion. If I’m putting laminate, do I need the subfloor ? This is in the basement, so I guess the carpet is on the concrete floor with just an underpad?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2524 posts
3372 upvotes
West GTA
Concrete floors common in basements can still retain odours and would need to be sealed with an oil-based primer (Kilz, Zinsser Cover Stain, BIN, etc). Many laminates strongly recommend the use of a subfloor over basement concrete to reduce risk of warping the fiberboard from moisture. It's common for people to install carpet on concrete with an underpad (though it's not the best way to do it). It's common for people to install laminate the same way (though also not the best way to do it). All about your personal risk tolerance - no subfloor is easier but can cause issues. Personally recommend vinyl planks over laminate in a basement as the vinyl is much better with water.

As for the smell, rip up the carpet. You don't generally want to keep the carpeting in a home you purchase anyways - they always get gross over the years in high traffic areas regardless of whether they've been cleaned or not, and particularly if the owners had animals in the home. Enzymatic cleaners can work for mild, recent staining but honestly won't work for heavy staining.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
2935 posts
1412 upvotes
GTA
grumble wrote: Concrete floors common in basements can still retain odours and would need to be sealed with an oil-based primer (Kilz, Zinsser Cover Stain, BIN, etc). Many laminates strongly recommend the use of a subfloor over basement concrete to reduce risk of warping the fiberboard from moisture. It's common for people to install carpet on concrete with an underpad (though it's not the best way to do it). It's common for people to install laminate the same way (though also not the best way to do it). All about your personal risk tolerance - no subfloor is easier but can cause issues. Personally recommend vinyl planks over laminate in a basement as the vinyl is much better with water.

As for the smell, rip up the carpet. You don't generally want to keep the carpeting in a home you purchase anyways - they always get gross over the years in high traffic areas regardless of whether they've been cleaned or not, and particularly if the owners had animals in the home. Enzymatic cleaners can work for mild, recent staining but honestly won't work for heavy staining.
Thanks for the detailed response. The basement is actually the ground level (it’s a 3 storey townhouse).

I’m thinking of hiring a contractor to do the flooring work. It’s an investment property and don’t want to spend too much in upgrades as the tenants won’t take good care anyways. Do most contractors generally follow the steps you mentioned? I can probably do removing carpet, underpad and do the sealing myself. But installation, I would require a contractor to do it.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2524 posts
3372 upvotes
West GTA
headleygrange wrote: Thanks for the detailed response. The basement is actually the ground level (it’s a 3 storey townhouse).

I’m thinking of hiring a contractor to do the flooring work. It’s an investment property and don’t want to spend too much in upgrades as the tenants won’t take good care anyways. Do most contractors generally follow the steps you mentioned? I can probably do removing carpet, underpad and do the sealing myself. But installation, I would require a contractor to do it.
Honestly this is really easy to do. Rip it all up and dispose of it, including the tack strips. Check the subfloor - is there any residual odour? If yes (and err on side of caution), then give it a coat of Kilz. Wait a couple of days for it to dry, then if you're willing to risk it just lay vinyl tile over the bare concrete floor (if it's even!). It's not hard to DIY it, all you need is a mallet, ruler, measuring tape and a boxcutter and you can do the whole basement in a couple of hours. If it isn't even you'd normally use self-leveling concrete to create a flat surface, but if you're nervous about that then getting someone in to do it might be easier.