• Apr 19th, 2020 3:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1158 posts
667 upvotes
Toronto

Carrot 2.0 Rewards Comeback

It seems Carrot is making a return. Currently they have a waitlist going at: https://www.carrotrewards.ca/

I recognize they have a bad reputation before they shut down, but I am sure they wouldn't return unless they learnt from their mistakes and go back to their roots.
Last edited by Electrah on Jan 3rd, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1567 posts
7652 upvotes
Pretty bold of them - they launched a paid tier plan just months before their company folded. Several people paid for 1 year subscriptions and then the company folds and doesn't refund anyone, apparently PayPal and CC companies weren't honouring chargebacks as it's a digital non-tangible service.

To re-launch like this so quickly after screwing over that many people is very bold.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
7882 posts
44287 upvotes
Ontario
Leverage wrote: Pretty bold of them - they launched a paid tier plan just months before their company folded. Several people paid for 1 year subscriptions and then the company folds and doesn't refund anyone, apparently PayPal and CC companies weren't honouring chargebacks as it's a digital non-tangible service.

To re-launch like this so quickly after screwing over that many people is very bold.

I saw that too. I’m surprised anyone would pay for that.

My VIP and VVIP still available ;). Lifetime guaranteed too.
See the Costco pics before anyone else :D
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
2220 posts
535 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote: I saw that too. I’m surprised anyone would pay for that.

My VIP and VVIP still available ;). Lifetime guaranteed too.
What you mean ?
Jan 28, 2013
268 posts
481 upvotes
Waterloo
Daf wrote: What you mean ?
Send you his costco pics before he create a post on RFD for the costco deals.
So you get to go costco to clear out the stock before all the other RFDers
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26047 posts
11518 upvotes
Apparently I'm out of the loop.
What was Carrot 1.0?
Thatdealguy wrote: My VIP and VVIP still available ;). Lifetime guaranteed too.
How much for a personal narrated guided tour of all the items on sale? Face With Tears Of Joy
Aug 30, 2015
414 posts
416 upvotes
BC
While I know nothing about the paid tiers, the free one was great. The tiny trickle of aeroplan points acted to constantly refresh my family’s aeroplan point balance expiration date. And the points were a reward for simply walking - which I do anyway.

If that comes back in the update count me in.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
12552 posts
9781 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ballsy for sure ...
In light of the paid VIP memberships before they folded

We always had a regular membership
And were quite happy
It served as another revenue stream to keeping our Petro Canada Account from flatlining

If they bring that back in 2.0
I will sign up again
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18994 posts
11849 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote: Ballsy for sure ...
In light of the paid VIP memberships before they folded

We always had a regular membership
And were quite happy
It served as another revenue stream to keeping our Petro Canada Account from flatlining

If they bring that back in 2.0
I will sign up again
There's no indication that Carrot 2.0 will charge money for points. Perhaps they have a new source of funding that makes them viable again. But if not, and their business model requires them to get funding from users, then I certainly won't participate.

BTW:
1. Their wait list is now north of 40,000 people. Presumably they've had some publicity in the media.
2. You can move up the list by using the referral link to "invite" family, friends and fake email accounts.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4890 posts
2011 upvotes
What perks did paying members get?

Realistically, an app like this should try and get funding from either the Provincial or Federal government. Maybe they did that and funding ran out - or they got a loan to sustain operations while searching for funding. Meanwhile, the paying members paid the loan or just allowed some workers to get paid a little longer until they folded.

The only thing I remember is that I found it unique that a company promoting basic health and fitness gave points towards Cineplex (I believe they did at some point) ... because sitting in a theater eating popcorn is not what I call healthy. But, if an app gets some people to do some basic stuff, it's better than nothing.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18994 posts
11849 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
renoldman wrote: Realistically, an app like this should try and get funding from either the Provincial or Federal government. Maybe they did that and funding ran out
They did. From Ottawa plus ~3 provinces. One was Ontario. That business model seemed to be sustainable. Then the Doofus Ford got elected and started madly slashing and bashing around in all directions. Carrot was one of many casualties. That's when they folded.
The only thing I remember is that I found it unique that a company promoting basic health and fitness gave points towards Cineplex (I believe they did at some point) ... because sitting in a theater eating popcorn is not what I call healthy.
Is sitting around on an Aeroplan reward flight eating pretzels and drinking beer any better?
But, if an app gets some people to do some basic stuff, it's better than nothing.
At least with Aeroplan you'd need to walk/run/swim around the world in order to collect a free flight, a couple of AP miles at a time. You'd be very fit by the time that happened ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8256 posts
1934 upvotes
"Meanwhile, the paying members paid the loan or just allowed some workers to get paid a little longer until they folded."

actually the paying mebers got 10X the reward, and drained their cash even faster
Jan 26, 2012
223 posts
132 upvotes
Ontario
Carrot was great. It jump-started my healthy lifestyle changes and motivated me to walk more. When I started using the app and tracking steps for the first time, I had around 2000-3000 steps a day. Now I consistently get over 10,000 every day and I give a lot of credit to this app. I can't wait for the next version.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)