Carrot 2.0 Rewards Comeback

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 3:25 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2059 posts
2058 upvotes
Toronto
mzmoney wrote: @silverele are you signing up for Carrot 2.0? :)
Thanks for the updated info! I didn't know they were coming out with a new version. I will give 2.0 a try, I quite liked the app even before the subscription service started.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6737 posts
5813 upvotes
Toronto
They should have relaunched as Celery Rewards, to avoid the bad publicity
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Nov 3, 2019
68 posts
11 upvotes
oooooooh say it aint so! We loved Carrot! Admittedly walked way more than i usually would so i could get petro points!
As for paying for the app, it actually would have been worth it because i'd have gotten more points than i paid for the app. Then the option suddenly disappeared and we werent able to purchase. (in hindsight thank goodness)

i will def rejoin (for free only of course)
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
1846 posts
1297 upvotes
Well if I resume getting free Scene points to do what I already do, I can’t reject that!

They folded before and they’re coming back again. I know it’ll government sponsored but who actually runs this thing anyway?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20736 posts
14599 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
As a lark I referred a bunch of "friends'" email accounts in order to get to 15 points so as to "move up in line" and become a beta tester. At that point I was ~1,000 in the queue.

I just checked my status now. It seems I've been converted from Beta Tester-15pts to Influencer-10pts without any explanation. But my position in the queue has been bumped up very close to the front door. Not sure what this means as an indication of when they'll do a relaunch.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11571 posts
6099 upvotes
Brampton
Shouldn't they call it "Stick" this time? I mean they already tried The Carrot.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4977 posts
2093 upvotes
bylo wrote: As a lark I referred a bunch of "friends'" email accounts in order to get to 15 points so as to "move up in line" and become a beta tester. At that point I was ~1,000 in the queue.

I just checked my status now. It seems I've been converted from Beta Tester-15pts to Influencer-10pts without any explanation. But my position in the queue has been bumped up very close to the front door. Not sure what this means as an indication of when they'll do a relaunch.
Because you influenced people to join an app.

Next up is converting your followers so that you get free premium because they pay.

I mean, you paying $100 to save $10 on another account seems hot.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20736 posts
14599 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
renoldman wrote: Because you influenced people to join an app.
I know that. That's why I did it. What I don't understand is why they arbitrarily demoted me from the Beta tester queue to just merely an Influencer.
Next up is converting your followers so that you get free premium because they pay.

I mean, you paying $100 to save $10 on another account seems hot.
Not a chance ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20736 posts
14599 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I got a survey as a potential beta tester. One of the questions was what loyalty programs would I prefer. One program was notable by its absence: Aeroplan.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14612 posts
11817 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
bylo wrote: I got a survey as a potential beta tester. One of the questions was what loyalty programs would I prefer. One program was notable by its absence: Aeroplan.
Interesting.

It seems to me ...

That if they truly were about a healthy lifestyle, they’d hook up with the PCO Program ...
Groceries & Organics (for nutritious eating)
Travel (for rest & relaxation)
SDM Drugstore (for Health & wellbeing)

Truth is tho ... this is Canada
And one of the largest Rewards Programs here
Remains ... AirMiles
And Airmiles is always looking to sign up new & innovative partners

Not that I am complaining
As I collect AIrMiles happily

But there will be some who will be disappointed
If that’s the route that Carrot goes

They could also align themselves with a Bank
RBC Rewards, Scotia Scene etc
But I would see that as selling out ... For financial reasons
Plus I am most unlikely to use a program (or use often)
A program that kind of needs me to look at another bank (switching / augmenting)
Same relationship I have with Scene
I have the card / belong to the program
But just use it on the fringe of all it’s offerings

If carrot wants to make big inroads in Cdn wallets
They’ll need to join with either PCO or AirMiles
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20736 posts
14599 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote: If carrot wants to make big inroads in Cdn wallets
They’ll need to join with either PCO or AirMiles
Those were both options in the survey. And they were both the ones I ranked at the top of my wishlist.
if they truly were about a healthy lifestyle
They certainly were with government funding. But that now appears to be gone. So presumably they have a different funding model, perhaps PR-based. In that case it would enable someone like AM or a bank (IIRC RBC was also on the list) to promote/advocate for better health even though their products aren't directly related.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20736 posts
14599 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
P.S. re promoting health. Recall that a year or two ago Loblaws had PCO promotions on healthy food choices like fresh vegetable, Blue Menu products, etc. Perhaps they could bring that back and combine it with Carrot 2. For example if you meet your weekly step quota and buy some minimum amount of "healthy" food you'd get a bonus in PCO points. That would certainly novel and the added sales at Loblaws/SDM would help fund the cost of the rewards.
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 8, 2017
434 posts
206 upvotes
I linked mine to scene points. I did develop a habit of walking more and checking my steps daily. But come to think of it, I don't think I was ever rewarded the points I had accumulated while walking.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2730 posts
1925 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
bubaglobalj wrote: I linked mine to scene points. I did develop a habit of walking more and checking my steps daily. But come to think of it, I don't think I was ever rewarded the points I had accumulated while walking.
I went from Aeroplan to scene points and I got my points very regularly.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.