Shopping Discussion

Carrot 2.0 Rewards Comeback

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 3:25 pm
Sep 5, 2017
433 posts
227 upvotes
silverele wrote: If someone refers a lot of people, they will move up the queue and be in front of you.
Ah ok that makes some sense. Just curious to see what it's like is all. I never did check out the previous one, didn't know it was a thing
Mar 12, 2009
313 posts
241 upvotes
Ontario
I found the original carrot app handy to keep trickling Aeroplan miles into my AP account. It keeps AP account active. Any opinions about using "askingcanadians(.)com" as a means of keeping Aeroplan account active.TIA
🏦 🇨🇦 💵$ 💶💷£ 💴¥ 💳Brim 🇺🇸 🏦
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20784 posts
14677 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
leocleoc wrote: I found the original carrot app handy to keep trickling Aeroplan miles into my AP account. It keeps AP account active. Any opinions about using "askingcanadians(.)com" as a means of keeping Aeroplan account active.TIA
It works well. We (he and she) get a survey every week to two weeks. The payment for completing a survey is usually 100 AP miles, i.e. value $1 or $2, for 10 to 20 minutes of "work." That's not a very good return compared to other survey sites, but at least you don't have to do it often if the motivation is just to keep AP accounts going. Miles arrive in our AP accounts in a few days.

Note that you don't even have to complete a survey in order to get AP miles. If you don't qualify, i.e. your demographics don't match what they're looking for, you get 5 AP miles. You only need to do that once a year in order to keep your AP account alive. (I don't know what happens if you never qualify and complete, i.e. if they'll stop sending new surveys. It's probably best to complete at least a few surveys.)

BTW ISTM that Carrot Redux is missing a great opportunity right now. With COVID-19 lockdowns this would be an ideal time to launch an app whose objective is to encourage people to get off their asses. You'd think that health-related businesses would be anxious to sponsor the app in order to demonstrate how much they care about keeping people active and healthy in these times of idleness, e.g. extended health insurers, life insurers, pharmacies, etc.
veni, vidi, Visa
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3821 upvotes
leocleoc wrote: I found the original carrot app handy to keep trickling Aeroplan miles into my AP account. It keeps AP account active. Any opinions about using "askingcanadians(.)com" as a means of keeping Aeroplan account active.TIA
Keep churning cc with aeroplan bonuses.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20784 posts
14677 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mzmoney wrote: Link does not work ... as it's not set up as a hyperlink.
• Download the app from https://www.myoptimity.com/
• Run the app
• Register. Provide ******* code when prompted
• Enjoy!
• As you explore the app you'll also get a prompt to verify your email address.
Anyone else receive this email?
Nope. I just worked out the above based on your post. Thanks!
Last edited by bylo on Jun 23rd, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2429 posts
2439 upvotes
GTA
@bylo thanks for instructions. oops may be that was a targeted code as it looks like a one time code/doesn't seem to work now for me; I have deleted my post
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20784 posts
14677 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mzmoney wrote: @bylo thanks for instructions. oops may be that was a targeted code as it looks like a one time code/doesn't seem to work now for me; I have deleted my post
Ooops! In that case it was probably me experimenting with installing the app Sorry about that. Perhaps you can contact them and ask for a new code.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2429 posts
2439 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote: Ooops! In that case it was probably me experimenting with installing the app Sorry about that. Perhaps you can contact them and ask for a new code.
No worries, thanks for updating your post, I will wait and contact them later.

Does this sponsored version give you full access to use the new App now?

Let me know if you have time to play around with it!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20784 posts
14677 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mzmoney wrote: No worries, thanks for updating your post, I will wait and contact them later.
No need to call them. Just check your PM.
Does this sponsored version give you full access to use the new App now?
It seems to but I'm just starting to explore. Looks to be much more sophisticated than the old Carrot app.

BTW do you have insurance with Sun Life via your employer? I suspect that's how you got the email. (I've got insurance with Manulife. Maybe that's why I didn't get the email ;))
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2429 posts
2439 upvotes
GTA
bylo wrote: No need to call them. Just check your PM.

It seems to but I'm just starting to explore. Looks to be much more sophisticated than the old Carrot app.

BTW do you have insurance with Sun Life via your employer? I suspect that's how you got the email. (I've got insurance with Manulife. Maybe that's why I didn't get the email ;))
Got it and sent you a reply!

We only got 1 email from Optimity and no Sun Life Insurance.

It was a strangely worded email ... Made it seem like it was a different version than beta, so was curious.

Any feedback from beta users out there?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2429 posts
2439 upvotes
GTA
zoro69 wrote: Did you guys read how it got sold several times (once for $20,000), leaving people involved the first time owed over $11 million

https://thelogic.co/news/the-big-read/c ... -millions/
Thanks for article link.

"Though he doesn’t write about it in Carrot Juice, Souvaliotis still takes particular umbrage with the sale of Carrot’s key asset: the granular and often intimate data detailing the habits and personal details of over a million Canadians who used the app, including age, gender, residence, income and location, along with knowledge of and attitudes toward wellness, gleaned from quizzes that users regularly filled out.

Last fall, those trillions of data points were uploaded to a hard drive and sold to Toronto-based personal finance startup Planswell for just $20,000."
Jan 29, 2017
63 posts
41 upvotes
From what I've been able to see so far, the rewards aren't really what people were expecting. Of course, it's still young so we might see something similar to the original Carrot rewards, but at this point...not sure if I'm even interested in continuing.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20784 posts
14677 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bylo wrote: • Download the app from https://www.myoptimity.com/
• Run the app
• Register. Provide ******* code when prompted
• Enjoy!
• As you explore the app you'll also get a prompt to verify your email address.
It seems that invite email and code has now gone out to more users. (I just got three identical invites.) So feel free to sign up and have a look around the app ;)
Optimity wrote:Hello, loyal Carrot!

We know you've been patiently waiting for the new Carrot by Optimity app to be available. (It's coming... and we are just as eager as you are!)

Because you've been such a loyal and patient member of our community, we wanted to share a special offer: exclusive access to a sponsored version of the current Optimity app, thanks to our generous partner, Sun Life.

To be clear, this is not the new Carrot experience app; that is still coming and will be a lot more Carrot-like. (And we’ll still send you an invitation to that app as soon as it’s ready.)

To get started, just click here(*) from your smartphone and our magic link will do the rest!
(If the app prompts you for a code, please click the above link again. If you're asked for a code, please enter SLFAD12)

Thank you—stay safe and be well!

The Carrot 🥕 Optimity team
(*) The emails I got have a longer URL they can use to identify the recipient. I've stripped that stuff out of the above link. Or go to Google's Play store directly: Optimity
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2429 posts
2439 upvotes
GTA
Apparently, the 'new' Carrot Rewards will be coming out in the Fall.

@bylo @silverele have you been using this sponsored version?