Carrot dog anyone?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2016 8:25 am
Tags:
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10983 posts
1084 upvotes
Well, I don't think that is going to be the same either. The texture will be very different from what I would want. I expect this professional chef has something different from this blogger.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25839 posts
11226 upvotes
slowtyper wrote:
death_hawk wrote:
Aug 19th, 2016 8:19 pm
That's not even trying.
C'mon... if you're going to make a vegetarian hot dog, you can do far better than this.
I would hold judgement until trying it. The chef is pretty accomplished. Despite what blogto says, I think this carrot isn't just roasted, I feel there has to be some technique there and the result actually worth doing this. I have a feeling its dehydrated a bit or they brine and smoke the crap out of it to give it a hot dogish texture. I can pretty much guarantee you that isn't a simply roasted carrot.
tk1000 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2016 9:23 pm
sn00ch wrote:
Sep 27th, 2016 4:14 pm
tk1000 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2016 3:24 pm

100% plant-based restaurant opens in Toronto
http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/planta-toronto

"As for mains, the 18 carrot dogs ($17) use smoked organic carrots finished on a plancha instead of hot dogs. They're surprisingly hot-doggy, served in a house-made bun that uses flour from K2, a local Ontario mill, and turmeric which gives the bun a surprising yellow colour. The dog is topped with sauerkraut, dill pickle, mayo, and mustard, and served with spiced fries."

Exactly how many "hot dogs" do you get for $17? Neutral Face
2 and fries
slowtyper wrote:
Sep 27th, 2016 9:12 pm
death_hawk wrote:
Aug 19th, 2016 8:19 pm
That's not even trying.
C'mon... if you're going to make a vegetarian hot dog, you can do far better than this.
I would hold judgement until trying it. The chef is pretty accomplished. Despite what blogto says, I think this carrot isn't just roasted, I feel there has to be some technique there and the result actually worth doing this. I have a feeling its dehydrated a bit or they brine and smoke the crap out of it to give it a hot dogish texture. I can pretty much guarantee you that isn't a simply roasted carrot.

Would I order it? no. Would I serve it? no. But, I'd love to experiment with it and learn something new. RFD obviously isn't in this target demographic at all.
The carrots would be marinated for '18' hours before going on a flattop grill (plancha).

How to make Vegan Carrot “Hot Dogs”
http://www.cleaneatingveggiegirl.com/20 ... -hot-dogs/
I'm still judging it. At the end of the day it's just a carrot. While I have all the respect in the world for carrots (because they're delicious) I still can't see this being that good even with brining/marinating/smoking/etc.
Or should I say good enough for a sandwich filling. A carrot is pretty dense so I would think that they wouldn't penetrate that much. Then again... they're plants so maybe there's some capillary action that makes me wrong.
Meats for example don't absorb a marinade worth a crap. They just season the outside.

If it were me doing it, I'd probably grind the carrot solely due to texture. Then flavor.
Bind it together with something so it at least resembles a hot dog and not just a griddled carrot.

even that recipe that's mentioned wouldn't be bad if it was part of the carrot and not just on the outside.
Well "not bad" relatively speaking. It still sounds like a side dish to me. A strange smokey side dish.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1434 posts
122 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
I really excited about this place. I walked by it by happenstance last week and the inside was beautiful. Finally a good vegan restaurant that I can bring clients to and for a nice night out. Like, how many times can you go to Fresh or have the same Vegan dish at Patria, Drake, Canoe, etc... (well Canoe is pretty good but there's no nightlife there). Food seems cheap to me relative to the decor / ambiance of the place. How much does it cost to eat at Chase?

Besides, I like how the carrot dog actually looks like a carrot when he's done. The less processed the better for me. Wait and see.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14941 posts
2864 upvotes
Toronto
flyinggonzo wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2016 9:46 am
I really excited about this place. I walked by it by happenstance last week and the inside was beautiful. Finally a good vegan restaurant that I can bring clients to and for a nice night out. Like, how many times can you go to Fresh or have the same Vegan dish at Patria, Drake, Canoe, etc... (well Canoe is pretty good but there's no nightlife there). Food seems cheap to me relative to the decor / ambiance of the place. How much does it cost to eat at Chase?

Besides, I like how the carrot dog actually looks like a carrot when he's done. The less processed the better for me. Wait and see.
Yes, it will be interesting to see how well this business does. I still think this carrot dog will simply taste like I'm eating a salad though...one loaded with tons of carrot! lol