• Feb 12th, 2018 9:02 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2017
1044 posts
1214 upvotes

Carry-On Luggage for Baby under 2 yrs

Hi,

First time traveling with a baby (less than 2 yrs).
Question regarding carry-on luggage for baby items.

1) Website says baby food, milk, water, juice is exempt from the "Liquid/Non-Solid food - 100mL/100 g" limit in a 1L zip lock bag, if it's for a baby under 24 moths.
Does that mean we can bring an unlimited amount of baby food and milk on carry-on? Extreme example...like a big carton of milk?

2) is Ice Packs (to keep milk cold) unlimited as well. Unlimited in terms of size and quantity.
Not sure if ice packs is part of it being in a 'Single 1L ziplock bag' or is it totally exempt from everything.

3) also, I always thought adults weren't allowed to bring fruits , cheese strings, and snacks past security checkpoint. Website says snacks are permitted. So I guess I can put fruits and big bags of chips in my carry-on?! Is that correct? LoL

Thanks for the help !
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6873 posts
808 upvotes
Toronto
Bebo123 wrote: Hi,

First time traveling with a baby (less than 2 yrs).
Question regarding carry-on luggage for baby items.

1) Website says baby food, milk, water, juice is exempt from the "Liquid/Non-Solid food - 100mL/100 g" limit in a 1L zip lock bag, if it's for a baby under 24 moths.
Does that mean we can bring an unlimited amount of baby food and milk on carry-on? Extreme example...like a big carton of milk?

2) is Ice Packs (to keep milk cold) unlimited as well. Unlimited in terms of size and quantity.
Not sure if ice packs is part of it being in a 'Single 1L ziplock bag' or is it totally exempt from everything.

3) also, I always thought adults weren't allowed to bring fruits , cheese strings, and snacks past security checkpoint. Website says snacks are permitted. So I guess I can put fruits and big bags of chips in my carry-on?! Is that correct? LoL

Thanks for the help !
Only going to comment on this one.

As you're mentioning fruit, you're most likely confusing airport security (CATSA / TSA) with Customs (Be it CBSA or CBP).

You've always been able to bring to snacks, sandwiches, etc... (though don't put cupcakes in a jar ) through security, and if you're flying domestically feel free to bring all the fruit you want.

EDIT - Just to be clear, if you're flying internationally, make sure your snacks (not just fruit) complies with the importation guidelines of the country you're going to. Airport security will NOT advise you of any of this.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16617 posts
2319 upvotes
Bebo123 wrote: 3) also, I always thought adults weren't allowed to bring fruits , cheese strings, and snacks past security checkpoint. Website says snacks are permitted. So I guess I can put fruits and big bags of chips in my carry-on?! Is that correct? LoL
This depends where you are travelling to - if you're going to the US, there are restrictions on certain types of uncooked foods, best to check the CBP website for a list of prohibited foods.

Within Canada, you can bring any type of food on the plane - as long as it's not liquid.

As for baby foods, yes, you can bring milk and other liquids above and beyond the 100ml limit. Within Canada there is no limit, but to the US/within the US, it is "reasonable quantities". I say only bring what you need so you don't get held up in line... check the rest of the baby food or just buy it when you get to where you are.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10400 upvotes
Ottawa
Baby Foods - "Baby formula and food, juice, water and other baby items - these are allowed in your carry-on baggage or personal items. You can take these through the security checkpoints and aboard your plane. However, you must be travelling with an infant under two years of age (0-24 months). You may bring gel or ice packs to keep your baby products cool. All items including formula must be presented to the Screening Officer and will be inspected"
http://www.catsa.gc.ca/complete-item-li ... id=&page=1

Foods - http://www.catsa.gc.ca/travellingwithfood

If traveling to the US or other countries you will need to check with their customs and airports security restrictions.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10288 posts
2881 upvotes
some tips if flying in Canada

you can gate check your stroller, so it doesn't count as a piece of luggage,
do not use a car seat on the plane, we were all about safety when we flew with our kids at that age, what a hassle, never again.
check your car seats for damage if you check them as luggage, ours got beat up, westjet gave us a brand new one to get home, and then paid for the car seats to be replaced (we had 2 diono's) luckily we were at a major airport (Edmonton) and they have new car seats at the luggage claim desk to give you to get home
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2017
1044 posts
1214 upvotes
Thanks for the replies.
Forgot to mention in OP that we are going to U.S.
From the website link provided here, it seems bringing fruit to US in carry on is not allowed.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6873 posts
808 upvotes
Toronto
Bebo123 wrote: Thanks for the replies.
Forgot to mention in OP that we are going to U.S.
From the website link provided here, it seems bringing fruit to US in carry on is not allowed.
That is correct, see here...
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... rsonal-use
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1219 posts
627 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I’ve flown with my baby from 6 months to 2 years of age for 7 different trips so maybe past security checks over 15 times to Canadian and US destinations. I would keep the baby carry-on food/drink items in a separate cooler bag to keep it simple. They appreciate it when you’re organized. In terms of ice packs, one of my ice packs melted after a long day and they confiscated it once it was no longer a solid. It was a nice Medela icepack too! I would not suggest to bring an entire carton of milk. When my boy was younger, I would pre-bottle the breast milk or homo milk into about 3 x 2 ounce bottles. When he was 6 months, I also had like an extra 1 or 2 frozen breast milk contained in the milk pouches just in case. They made good ice packs too. If you’re bringing breastmilk, I would freeze a few bottles so they stay colder for longer. I’ve brought fruit on carry-on as well but I peeled them like oranges or blueberries and strawberries and store them into a few baby food glass jars. Most security is pretty lenient in terms of food for the baby as long as they assume it’ll be eaten during transit. I also brought an empty thermos along with me. This helped me heat up any milk I needed as its very easy to get hot water anywhere in the airport or plane to heat up any milk.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
2951 posts
299 upvotes
Fruit on the flight should be fine if you finish them before meeting your destination's custom officer.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10400 upvotes
Ottawa
kareshi wrote: Fruit on the flight should be fine if you finish them before meeting your destination's custom officer.
If......you don't go through customs at your departure airport.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6132 posts
2088 upvotes
Montreal
Pete_Coach wrote: If......you don't go through customs at your departure airport.
Yep! If you're going to the US, you'll likely pre-clear customs in Canada.

My wife and I didn't think about this a few years ago before an early flight to Vegas. We packed apple slices and clementines. The apple slices were fine but the clementines had to be thrown out. Luckily we didn't face any fines.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18613 posts
2982 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Puree fruit is usually fine, as is fruit leather/fruit rollups.

We're pretty lucky, my little guy eats almost anything he can get his hands on so we dont need to bring anything for him, just buy what we need when we need it. Last week going through security and the lady in front of me had to open a suitcase, it was full of food. Must have picky eaters or something.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14268 posts
8369 upvotes
Toronto
don't bring a carton of milk, they will give it to you on the plane.

If you are bringing baby bottles of milk, use clear ones. Ours were blue and we always got flagged at the xray desk.
Dec 12, 2007
771 posts
112 upvotes
I just booked a flight with Air Transat last week. We are bringing a lap infant. We are allowed an extra diaper bag as carry on, but the agent did tell me that the size and contents are limited to what the baby will use during the flight, i.e. don't anticipate bringing enough diapers for a week in your carry on. I've had no problems bringing bottled water, fruit and all kinds of other snacks. They usually just ask to swab the containers. I do dispose of any extra fruit or restricted items before leaving the plane.

Even when you aren't traveling with an infant, you are allowed to bring your own food if it doesn't violate security or customs legislation.