Travel

Carry on for Westjet

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2019 7:48 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2006 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto

Carry on for Westjet

I'm having a hard time finding a suitable roller carry on for Westjet (21x15x9) that will just fit the sizer (need to maximize volume) . Most descriptions that say 21" apparently don't include the handle, wheels, etc. I've been checking at Winners, Costco, MEC, etc. The Bay seems to be overpriced even on sale.
10 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 22, 2016
2317 posts
590 upvotes
Ontario
The key is get on the plane early. So you have room in the overhead before all the ppl with oversized bags get on and fill it up. I get air rage when I see ppl taking so much time trying to find a spot and trying to stuff it in.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2006 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
webshark wrote: The key is get on the plane early. So you have room in the overhead before all the ppl with oversized bags get on and fill it up. I get air rage when I see ppl taking so much time trying to find a spot and trying to stuff it in.
True, but I'm also afraid they will make me check my bag if it's an inch over on one side.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4893 posts
2237 upvotes
Mississauga
Wait for them to announce free gate check. Profit.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
34579 posts
8445 upvotes
Ottawa
WestJet s actually getting strict with their carry ons. I have seen in Halifax, Ottawa and Vancouver where people were told the bag cannot be carry on and they have to check it in.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1348 posts
975 upvotes
GTA West
Gigi wrote: I'm having a hard time finding a suitable roller carry on for Westjet (21x15x9) that will just fit the sizer (need to maximize volume) . Most descriptions that say 21" apparently don't include the handle, wheels, etc. I've been checking at Winners, Costco, MEC, etc. The Bay seems to be overpriced even on sale.
Keep looking at Winners for a while (and different Winners stores) because they often have new items and you will eventually find one that is fully compliant for size. We have one that just fits and then a smaller one that gives up some space.

It is even harder to find a bag in the "personal item" size that will come in exactly at the WJ and AC specified sizes, especially in mens' styles. You want to max out there too.
Sr. Member
Sep 24, 2006
786 posts
105 upvotes
I'm flying WestJet in a month's time and my carry-on is 21.5 inches in height. Will they really ask me to check it in?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2006 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: WestJet s actually getting strict with their carry ons. I have seen in Halifax, Ottawa and Vancouver where people were told the bag cannot be carry on and they have to check it in.
That's what I've heard and am trying to avoid if possible.
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Keep looking at Winners for a while (and different Winners stores) because they often have new items and you will eventually find one that is fully compliant for size. We have one that just fits and then a smaller one that gives up some space.

It is even harder to find a bag in the "personal item" size that will come in exactly at the WJ and AC specified sizes, especially in mens' styles. You want to max out there too.
Which bag do you have that just fits? I'm hoping I can just bring my "not filled to the brim" backpack as a "personal item".
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
3850 posts
3119 upvotes
Gigi wrote: True, but I'm also afraid they will make me check my bag if it's an inch over on one side.
Avoid soft sided cases since if you overpack it and it bulges out enough that it won't fit in the size-wise cage, you'll be forced to check it. Get a hard-sided case so that you won't run into this. If you can close it, it will be the advertised measurement.
Let's get this straight once and for all. The "Golden Arches" burger chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4893 posts
2237 upvotes
Mississauga
How big is your backpack? You may be forced to jam it under the seat in front of you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2006 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: How big is your backpack? You may be forced to jam it under the seat in front of you.
I should have called it a day pack (it's not full back pack size) , which I typically put under my seat anyway.

Top