Travel

Carrying Pizza slice thru US Pre - clearance OK or not?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2019 12:58 am
[OP]
Banned
Jan 20, 2017
584 posts
145 upvotes

Carrying Pizza slice thru US Pre - clearance OK or not?

If I am flying from Toronto to Argentina with a 3 hour transit in a US airport, am I allowed to carry a pizza slice thru the US pre clearance at Pearson? I intend to consume the pizza during the flight from YYZ to US airport AND discard any leftovers at the US airport as soon as I exit the aircraft.
Or better to forget about it and munch donuts on the way?
27 replies
Dec 7, 2009
381 posts
182 upvotes
burbs
Last time I was in US preclearance ANY food or drink was to be disposed. Lots of full $8 Starbucks drinks in the garbage.
Mar 11, 2011
813 posts
290 upvotes
Toronto
Buy your pizza and drink after going through security and immigration.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9325 posts
1731 upvotes
Toronto
Why take the chance and complicate things unnecessarily?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15095 posts
12180 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
46jimbo wrote: Buy your pizza and drink after going through security and immigration.
This

Otherwise, there has to be something very special about this pizza to have you even ask...
For me that info is far more interesting
Dish pls
(Pun intended)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6854 posts
1293 upvotes
Scarborough
I’m 100% sure you can have better pizza in your us layover airport. Buy it there!
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
1527 posts
884 upvotes
TORONTO
ManInTheBurbs wrote: Last time I was in US preclearance ANY food or drink was to be disposed. Lots of full $8 Starbucks drinks in the garbage.
Starbucks drinks are liquids, so anything bigger than 100 ml isn't allowed.

As for pizza, go to the source: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... tems/pizza

Pizza
Carry On Bags: Yes
Checked Bags: Yes

TSA officers may instruct travelers to separate items from carry-on bags such as foods, powders, and any materials that can clutter bags and obstruct clear images on the X-ray machine. Travelers are encouraged to organize their carry-on bags and keep them uncluttered to ease the screening process and keep the lines moving.

Lots of food items listed here: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... bring/food
[OP]
Banned
Jan 20, 2017
584 posts
145 upvotes
Thanks for replying. Much appreciated.
I didn't realize that I have the option of buying pizza after clearing security and pre clearance.
And sure enough, it is better to forget about tasting my fav slice of pizza from my fav store on the day of travel.
May 4, 2007
139 posts
26 upvotes
Question is asking about US pre clearance not TSA (security).

It is my understanding that US pre clearance enforces US food import rules.

Thus you couldn't take an orange through pre clearance but otherwise could through security.

Whether a pizza is allowed I have no idea.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15095 posts
12180 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
jaguaar wrote: Thanks for replying. Much appreciated.
I didn't realize that I have the option of buying pizza after clearing security and pre clearance.
And sure enough, it is better to forget about tasting my fav slice of pizza from my fav store on the day of travel.
Here’s a link to the various options (and where) @ Pearson
https://www.torontopearson.com/en/while ... estaurants

You can even sort by Airline & Destination
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1396 posts
498 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
I was in the lineup eating a muffin and a roaming security person started screaming at me that I couldn't get through customs with it. She was way over the top nasty. I calmly explained that I would have it finished before trying to go through. So I'd forget pizza.
Oct 9, 2006
578 posts
80 upvotes
icantfigureoutausername wrote: I was in the lineup eating a muffin and a roaming security person started screaming at me that I couldn't get through customs with it. She was way over the top nasty. I calmly explained that I would have it finished before trying to go through. So I'd forget pizza.
Baked goods are allowed. Probably rude to eat in line though.

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/search ... tegory%3A5

Of course, they have final say.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13256 posts
7377 upvotes
Toronto
Another guy asked about wearing Bluetooth shoes while someone else wanted to carry cannabis capsules, now pizza

I swear people are just asking to be cavity searched
Jan 9, 2010
924 posts
180 upvotes
Edmonton, Alberta
I have celiac disease and so I often bring food with me on air trips--most often, pizza. I've never ever had a problem bringing a pizza with me through security, customs, etc. I've occasionally had a security person or Customs officer make a humourous comment about it, but never ever had someone question it. This is travelling through Edmonton, Toronto, New York, Florida, Seattle. As long as it isn't on the TSA's banned food list, you're fine--and pizza isn't on the banned list.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1654 posts
697 upvotes
I brought an entire pizza through security before but that was in the US travelling back to Canada. I regularly bring various food to the USA though and i have never been stopped or questioned over it. Obviously, restricted items like fruits/vegetables and liquids are a problem for other reasons.