Expired Hot Deals

ON - Carrytel Cable 75M plan (Rogers), $24.99 first month then $34.99 per month, modem rental included, no install fee

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2018 6:16 pm
Nov 22, 2017
9 posts
11 upvotes
Thanks OP. Just signed up for some service in Cogeco Land.

Teksavvy -> Carrytel

I can't ignore saving $20/month for 20mb/s more!

RFD!
Dec 16, 2015
74 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, ON
To the packet loss guy -

1)do you have the latest firmware on your devices? Router and wireless adapter on computer?

2)have you checked your cables? Perhaps you are using an old Ethernet cable on gigabit ports? Or perhaps there is pinch or break in your co-ax. Do you have a rabbit?they chew cables.

3) are you running a antivirus?Perhaps the network security is too high, or you accidentally blocked something . Maybe you are blocking a port that is being used for new ISP.

4)are u running a VPN? I once broke my internet trying to configure a VPN. I used a different computer , and the TS rep helped reset something (when they were good). Have you tried on a different computer?

If none of these things work, perhaps just go with another ISP.
Aug 12, 2017
342 posts
59 upvotes
soulrebell wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 10:09 am
To the packet loss guy -

1)do you have the latest firmware on your devices? Router and wireless adapter on computer?

2)have you checked your cables? Perhaps you are using an old Ethernet cable on gigabit ports? Or perhaps there is pinch or break in your co-ax. Do you have a rabbit?they chew cables.

3) are you running a antivirus?Perhaps the network security is too high, or you accidentally blocked something . Maybe you are blocking a port that is being used for new ISP.

4)are u running a VPN? I once broke my internet trying to configure a VPN. I used a different computer , and the TS rep helped reset something (when they were good). Have you tried on a different computer?

If none of these things work, perhaps just go with another ISP.
Or, maybe this ISP should fix the problem.
May 19, 2008
254 posts
26 upvotes
rising1000 wrote:
Mar 24th, 2018 12:41 am
don t go too cheap . like n router. i myself bought a used router tp link 2600 and my wifi is 73-75 on 75 service. They recommend at least 1900 router but the extra speed is good for range issues. walls do wonders for lowering wifi
any suggestions for a specific brand or specs for a router? researching before I pull the trigger.
Dec 16, 2015
74 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, ON
discostar wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 10:22 am
Or, maybe this ISP should fix the problem.
That is, if its their problem to fix.

Why wait? Just move on. There’s the virgin deal and the teksavvy non-non deal now.

As a reseller, Carrytel gotta wait for rogers sub-contractor. Who’ll will check everything, reset a bunch of things. Perhaps run a new line and it may work a little better ...but by not much and for not long.

Meanwhile, the packet loss guy will quietly uninstall his VPN, and everything will work as it should, and never tell us what really happened.
Last edited by soulrebell on Apr 17th, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6510 posts
2235 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Don't trouble yourself with discostar, he's already moved back to Bell, he just likes to gripe about Carrytel. Winking Face
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Apr 30, 2014
99 posts
21 upvotes
Brampton, ON
chimaican wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 1:44 pm
Don't trouble yourself with discostar, he's already moved back to Bell, he just likes to gripe about Carrytel. Winking Face
+1 specially if it helps him ease the pain bndng ovr to Bell.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6510 posts
2235 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
TeateaM wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 6:01 pm
+1 specially if it helps him ease the pain bndng ovr to Bell.
All the power to disco if he wants to use Bell as they're a 1st tier ISP, at least there will be less issues and if there are, it can be hopefully dealt with in a timely manner.

I however haven't had any major issues with Carrytel since last year (knock on wood), so I'm happy.

Apr 11, 2009
143 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
I placed an order last night with option to pick up the modem.

Is it ok to have both Rogers and Carrytel running at the same time? I plan to do what others have said, use Carrytel maybe for 2-3 days and then cancel Rogers right after.

Called Rogers to see if they can offer any discount or better plan but they could only offer me a $7 discount :rolleyes:
Jun 9, 2011
6 posts
SCARBOROUGH
For the people that are to carrytel for sometime now.
I am planning on leaving rogers and going to carrytel and i have couple of questions.
What is Carrytel interconnectivity with Europe and US and if carrytel has presence to Toronto internet exchange.
It is good to have 75Mbits but if the company does not have enough bandwidth with US and Europe (mainly) then whats the point of having those 75mbits.
Also if there is any throttling
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6510 posts
2235 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
sandini_power wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 8:37 am
I placed an order last night with option to pick up the modem.

Is it ok to have both Rogers and Carrytel running at the same time? I plan to do what others have said, use Carrytel maybe for 2-3 days and then cancel Rogers right after.

Called Rogers to see if they can offer any discount or better plan but they could only offer me a $7 discount :rolleyes:
Yes you can run both services at the same time. I would recommend using the same cable to connect to the modem(s) vs a splitter so that you can compare apples to apples and not have possible skewed results do to a bad cable or lack of signal. In other words, swapping the modems.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6510 posts
2235 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Ha... The other "C" company locked their thread to prevent further discussion & thread rating because of the rfd community poor reviews and ratings.

I encourage everyone here to continue rating this ISP and others whether it is positive or negative. It's for the full benefit of the members.

Oh, this thread has now been moved to Ongoing Deal Discussion too....
Last edited by chimaican on Apr 18th, 2018 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mar 13, 2018
423 posts
221 upvotes
george72 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 9:04 am
For the people that are to carrytel for sometime now.
I am planning on leaving rogers and going to carrytel and i have couple of questions.
What is Carrytel interconnectivity with Europe and US and if carrytel has presence to Toronto internet exchange.
It is good to have 75Mbits but if the company does not have enough bandwidth with US and Europe (mainly) then whats the point of having those 75mbits.
Also if there is any throttling
Well their backbone is cognet which is a huge tier 1 provider in the States.

And this isn't how ISPs work ..they don't buy bandwidth in different regions around the world.
Apr 11, 2009
143 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote:
Apr 18th, 2018 9:22 am
Yes you can run both services at the same time. I would recommend using the same cable to connect to the modem(s) vs a splitter so that you can compare apples to apples and not have possible skewed results do to a bad cable or lack of signal. In other words, swapping the modems.
Thanks for the tip!
I live in a condo so I'm not even sure if I need a router...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)