Expired Hot Deals

Carrytel

Carrytel Cable Internet 1000 $54.99 / month ($49.99 for first 3 months) - new customers only, Rogers area

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2022 1:28 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jul 19, 2006
586 posts
210 upvotes

Carrytel Cable Internet 1000 $54.99 / month ($49.99 for first 3 months) - new customers only, Rogers area

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Carrytel
Hi everyone,
I've searched for other posts regarding this but couldn't seem to find any, so here it goes...

I do realize many people have pretty bad opinions about Carrytel, but I thought I'd post this regardless as this seems like almost "too good to be true" kind of deal... I've been with them since 2018 (the 75 RFD promo) and besides a few outages (which were super annoying) the speed / connection quality has been really solid. I'm only on the 75Mbps service and cannot switch to this 1000Mbps plan as it's available for new customers only.

Anyways, I think it is a pretty hot deal and thought I'd share it here. Perhaps someone may want to switch from some super slow grandfathered DSL or similar plan ;)
Last edited by alander on Dec 8th, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
29 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 29, 2014
2081 posts
2169 upvotes
Laputa
What is the ping for gaming at night?

I tried CIK, although they are using Rogers’ internet, but the global route is really bad, unplayable (200+ ping) after 6pm until 0:00am

Thx OP! Bought 10 😂
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
18691 posts
21361 upvotes
GTA
75mbps is also on sale for $29.99 for the first 3 months then $39.99/30days
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Member
Mar 24, 2015
429 posts
297 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Considering I was on the 75/10 plan for 29.99, upped to the 150 mbps plan for 39.99, they cancelled a month in saying that they didn't expect as many people to sign up as they did and it wasn't sustainable, rolled me back to my existing plan and I lost the 50 dollar upgrade fee (they did reimburse me 20 dollars in credit), and then just sent me an email that my 75/10 plan was jumping from 34.99 to 49.99; I'd say to avoid Carrytel like the plague.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
18691 posts
21361 upvotes
GTA
Also should say that the deal is only for Rogers area. Cogeco area is much worse for 1000mbps $69.99 for the first 6 months then $74.99 per month.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Member
May 15, 2009
211 posts
425 upvotes
Ottawa
I had good experience with Carrytel before switching to Fido last year, but some colleagues who are working from home have had 2-3 outages in the last 1.5 years. Backup plan: they used your cell phone hotspot.
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2011
573 posts
410 upvotes
YYZ
Watch them bump $10 or $15 in a year
Unless your PM is of personal nature and unrelated to the thread, don't PM me. You can post in the corresponding threads instead.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jul 19, 2006
586 posts
210 upvotes
As I had mentioned in the original post, I also went though a few outages, which does not change the fact they seemed to offer the best price / service ratio (at least back in 2018, lol). Since they resell Rogers network, if Rogers is down, so do they. I've been with Bell and Teksavvy before, and from my experience, no matter what service you go with and what price you pay, there will always be a decent portion of unhappy customers.

Regardless, if anyone could point me to another ISP (in GTA area) that offers a similar price level / speed service (I've checked Ebox for example - no luck here), I'll happily jump the ship ;) I've started with Carrytel on the 75Mbps 29.99 plan and after 3 years, the price is 44.99 which translates to around 5 bucks per year. I don't think there's an ISP that will guarantee zero price increases, but with no contracts (or annual commitments and such) one can change the provider decently easily these days.
Sr. Member
Nov 30, 2013
728 posts
787 upvotes
alander wrote: As I had mentioned in the original post, I also went though a few outages, which does not change the fact they seemed to offer the best price / service ratio (at least back in 2018, lol). Since they resell Rogers network, if Rogers is down, so do they. I've been with Bell and Teksavvy before, and from my experience, no matter what service you go with and what price you pay, there will always be a decent portion of unhappy customers.

Regardless, if anyone could point me to another ISP (in GTA area) that offers a similar price level / speed service (I've checked Ebox for example - no luck here), I'll happily jump the ship ;) I've started with Carrytel on the 75Mbps 29.99 plan and after 3 years, the price is 44.99 which translates to around 5 bucks per year. I don't think there's an ISP that will guarantee zero price increases, but with no contracts (or annual commitments and such) one can change the provider decently easily these days.
But this one is 180 days commitment! Plus their 150mbps was really 15mbps during rush hours. Switched to Fido which is also Rogers and no speed issue during rush hour. A friend was also on them and complained about the same thing.
Jr. Member
Sep 13, 2014
161 posts
191 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Switched to Fido on their Black Friday deal. So nice to watch TV without being throttled.
Carrytel are the charlatans of ISP.
Avoid like the plague.
Newbie
Oct 12, 2014
23 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Was a long time CarryTel customer. No real complaints about outages/service/speeds. They WILL raise your prices regardless of contract. Switching to a lower tier is not as trivial an exercise as it absolutely should be (especially when promises are broken). My experience with them sent me back to Rogers (ROGERS!) which was something I never thought possible. Just my 2¢.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jul 19, 2006
586 posts
210 upvotes
Moved the thread to expired deals since obviously this is NOT a hot deal... Lol Face With Tears Of Joy
Sr. Member
Dec 22, 2013
678 posts
1565 upvotes
Self-Isolation
Wow, moved to expired , so quickly.
I personally think it is an excellent price. I was also with Carrytel, till i switched last year to Fido. Had no noticeable speed or breaking issues and Fido is the same as well.
I have seen a lot of negative comments about Carrytell in RFD and the only reason I switched was the price increase from Carrytel.

Last year Fido promotion with the gift card sealed the deal for me.
I would have happily switched back to Carrytel if i needed the higher speeds.
Sr. Member
Dec 22, 2013
678 posts
1565 upvotes
Self-Isolation
alander wrote: Moved the thread to expired deals since obviously this is NOT a hot deal... Lol Face With Tears Of Joy
Did you move it or the mods.

Thank you for posting the deal man, it is an amazing price.
Jr. Member
Nov 25, 2015
168 posts
301 upvotes
Arva, ON
engineered wrote: 75mbps is also on sale for $29.99 for the first 3 months then $39.99/30days
That's annoying. I've also been with them since 2018 with 75 Mbps service, and they recently raised prices from $35 to $50 a month. They sent an email crying about how their costs have increased so they had to jack us up by $15 a month, yet the long term rate for new subs (not promotional rate) is $40? I can understand a promotional rate being low and then everybody gets the same long term rate, but why are the new subs getting a better long term deal than the people who've been with them for a while? Way to f*** over your existing subs.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1218 posts
1665 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Not gunna lie, carrytel used to be amazing or at least your 1st yr.. but the price increase overtime is pretty bad
Member
Mar 24, 2015
429 posts
297 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
6200cc wrote: That's annoying. I've also been with them since 2018 with 75 Mbps service, and they recently raised prices from $35 to $50 a month. They sent an email crying about how their costs have increased so they had to jack us up by $15 a month, yet the long term rate for new subs (not promotional rate) is $40? I can understand a promotional rate being low and then everybody gets the same long term rate, but why are the new subs getting a better long term deal than the people who've been with them for a while? Way to f*** over your existing subs.
Exact same email I just got, which is why I switched to Fido. When I called to cancel, they asked why; I told them because they increased the price by just shy of 50%. Good to see that new signups are getting good deals; guess the CRTC reversal wasn't as bad as they thought.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2014
1673 posts
1421 upvotes
I am on 75mb/s and it really sucks so bad right now. Getting 8mb/s - 30mb/s and it's 8:42pm EST. It looks like I will be switching to Fido or something in the next week or so. This is getting ridiculous paying $50.84 for awful internet speed. Brutal
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
18691 posts
21361 upvotes
GTA
wartune123 wrote: Not gunna lie, carrytel used to be amazing or at least your 1st yr.. but the price increase overtime is pretty bad
Is their any ISP that doesn't/hasn't increased? With the CRTC bought off by the big guys, there's no competion. TSI, Start, Rogers, Cogeco, Bell all increase rates regularly. They only have promo rates to get you. Big guys are the worst with their "discounts" instead of total pricing.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1837 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto
Was with Carrytel for 5 years on the 100/10 package which had started at $40/mth and then became $50/mth after two increases. I left them for Fido after the 2nd increase happened within 12 months.

To each their own and I'm sure some people will be convinced by the rising costs argument and/or CRTC ruling argument (which to be clear, does impact, but it's not the be-all end-all people make it out to seem). Bottom line for me is that trying to raise the price the way they did is not smart and shows your motive on your sleeve too much. While their profit margin isn't thin, but let's say for the sake of argument it is, then you should offer "Hey, I can keep you in the same speed and increase your price or cap your internet or lower your speed and keep you at the same price". That gesture would at least speak towards being considerate, especially of those who have been long-standing clients to you, especially for a smaller player in the market. Instead they opted for the cellphone provider model, which is fine, they made their choice.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)