Expired Hot Deals

Carrytel

Carrytel Cable Internet 1000 $54.99 / month ($49.99 for first 3 months) - new customers only, Rogers area

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2022 1:28 am
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2540 posts
1904 upvotes
GTA
Alexandero2 wrote: Was with Carrytel for 5 years on the 100/10 package which had started at $40/mth and then became $50/mth after two increases. I left them for Fido after the 2nd increase happened within 12 months.

To each their own and I'm sure some people will be convinced by the rising costs argument and/or CRTC ruling argument (which to be clear, does impact, but it's not the be-all end-all people make it out to seem). Bottom line for me is that trying to raise the price the way they did is not smart and shows your motive on your sleeve too much. While their profit margin isn't thin, but let's say for the sake of argument it is, then you should offer "Hey, I can keep you in the same speed and increase your price or cap your internet or lower your speed and keep you at the same price". That gesture would at least speak towards being considerate, especially of those who have been long-standing clients to you, especially for a smaller player in the market. Instead they opted for the cellphone provider model, which is fine, they made their choice.
Agree and I was about to say something more or less in principle of what you wrote.

I also know a few people they are ready to jump ship - if Carrytel does another stupid move.

Don't forget:-
1) they charge by 30 days, which means whatever they charge, add 6% to it as the monthly/annually pricing;
2) they precharge their customers almost 1.5 ~ 2 months ahead - and people need to request/beg for the refund;
3) they throtle,
4) others

So it is just a matter of time more and more people will leave them if they do anything stupid.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Nov 13, 2016
228 posts
155 upvotes
When I was with Carrytel my only complaint was the latency. It got so bad my Zoom calls would disconnect. I wonder if that has improved lately cause this is a very good price.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21394 upvotes
GTA
Alexandero2 wrote: Was with Carrytel for 5 years on the 100/10 package which had started at $40/mth and then became $50/mth after two increases. I left them for Fido after the 2nd increase happened within 12 months.

To each their own and I'm sure some people will be convinced by the rising costs argument and/or CRTC ruling argument (which to be clear, does impact, but it's not the be-all end-all people make it out to seem). Bottom line for me is that trying to raise the price the way they did is not smart and shows your motive on your sleeve too much. While their profit margin isn't thin, but let's say for the sake of argument it is, then you should offer "Hey, I can keep you in the same speed and increase your price or cap your internet or lower your speed and keep you at the same price". That gesture would at least speak towards being considerate, especially of those who have been long-standing clients to you, especially for a smaller player in the market. Instead they opted for the cellphone provider model, which is fine, they made their choice.
My point was that every carrier does this, or is already too pricey. Can you think of one carrier that hasn't increased their prices in the past few years?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Feb 28, 2011
573 posts
410 upvotes
YYZ
markust5775 wrote: Good to see that new signups are getting good deals; guess the CRTC reversal wasn't as bad as they thought.
likely loss leader.
Unless your PM is of personal nature and unrelated to the thread, don't PM me. You can post in the corresponding threads instead.
Mar 24, 2015
429 posts
297 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
HarryMuscle wrote: When I was with Carrytel my only complaint was the latency. It got so bad my Zoom calls would disconnect. I wonder if that has improved lately cause this is a very good price.
My zoom calls were constantly downgraded up to and including yesterday. Hoping that improves with Fido.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1840 posts
1265 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: My point was that every carrier does this, or is already too pricey. Can you think of one carrier that hasn't increased their prices in the past few years?
Well I did say "I was" implying I left Carrytel. I went with Fido for the next year, I'm getting triple the speed for less ($42.50 vs $50...for some reason I'm getting 300 instead of 150) albeit only for the year, but there's no signup and no modem cost so I can easily flip after the year is done if they don't renew the discount (which many people have reported successfully doing). Alternatively there's Virgin internet, but same idea applies with the 12 months. At the end of the day, it's the mobile model of retention and acquisition, so you maneuver as needed.

And in terms of "well, everybody's doing it", it's kind of like saying everyone's being rude to their spouses, so can you think of anyone who isn't? Sometimes the principle alone will motivate someone to do something about it, even if it's commonplace.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18711 posts
21394 upvotes
GTA
Alexandero2 wrote: Well I did say "I was" implying I left Carrytel. I went with Fido for the next year, I'm getting triple the speed for less ($42.50 vs $50...for some reason I'm getting 300 instead of 150) albeit only for the year, but there's no signup and no modem cost so I can easily flip after the year is done if they don't renew the discount (which many people have reported successfully doing). Alternatively there's Virgin internet, but same idea applies with the 12 months. At the end of the day, it's the mobile model of retention and acquisition, so you maneuver as needed.

And in terms of "well, everybody's doing it", it's kind of like saying everyone's being rude to their spouses, so can you think of anyone who isn't? Sometimes the principle alone will motivate someone to do something about it, even if it's commonplace.
I'm not excusing it, just saying your rates likely would go up with just about any provider. So yes, we need to keep changing providers to keep getting the best signup deals.
Your example is bad though, most people aren't rude to their spouses. Better example is car insurance, gotta shop around for best deals.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Dec 31, 2021
3 posts
1 upvote
I just got this deal. Rogers technician came on the day of Carrytel install, on time surprisingly, and tested the line -- everything was good. I hooked up Carrytel's supplied modem with my AX3000 router. And below is the speed I'm getting. Pretty impressed so far. No weird behaviour, jitters, or disconnects so far. Have not tested online gaming yet.
Aug 18, 2006
153 posts
52 upvotes
Kitchener
Thank you for sharing this promotion.

I cancelled my Rogers this morning from last years promotion which was : $55 + tax for 500u, promotion was over and they wanted to charge me over $110....

Signed up with Carytel for their promo: $49.99 + tax (3 months), $54.99 + tax thereafter, for 1000u.

Shortly after, Rogers retention called and offered me: $49.99 + tax for 1 year, 1000u.

Ended up staying with Rogers so I don't have to swap modems or *do* anything.... thankful for this post for getting me a deal.
Oct 15, 2020
48 posts
14 upvotes
rwilliams92 wrote: Rogers technician came on the day of Carrytel install, on time surprisingly, and tested the line
Who's IPs you're getting with Carrytel now: from Rogers or Cogent IP pool?