Expired Hot Deals

[Carrytel] [Carrytel] [ON] Carrytel FTTN Internet service 50M/$39.99, 25M/$34.99, 15M/$29.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2019 8:30 pm
Aug 22, 2013
6 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Carrytel's cable backbone provider Cogent blocks several sites. I just don't know if its the same with FTTN.
Apr 12, 2017
12 posts
azcanize wrote:
Jun 8th, 2017 4:03 pm
Can anyone confirm if certain sites are blocked when using their FTTN service?
1337x.to and warez-bb.org are blocked. I use PIA (or any VPN) to bypass it. You can use TOR.

I'm on 50/10 for 3 months now. Speeds have been consistent.
arnycus wrote:
Jun 8th, 2017 4:07 pm
When you subscribe, do they offer some free cancellation days so you can test their service? Suppose, you already have VDSL sub with another provider. Can you keep both subs using the same VDSL modem, just with different login and password? This would allow to test the new sub without cancelling the previous one.

Also, do they transfer your existing sub, or you have to call and cancel? Can you opt to call and cancel the existing sub instead of transfer?

Another question, what a VDSL tech will do at your place, if you already have a VDSL sub right now, and will use the same modem, which is already working OK?

Once you subscribe, can you upgrade to a higher VDSL sub: from 25/10 to 50/10, or downgrade? Any fee for that?
I believe there are two DSL lines to each house so you can use the secondary line for Carrytel. I actually have a basement so the secondary line is in use so the tech installed it on my primary line. With my upgraded line, I can login using both my TekSavvy and Carrytel credentials. When using either login, I would get full 50/10 speeds even though I was only paying 15/10 for Teksavvy. I cancelled with Teksavvy 2 days after it was installed. I believe CarryTel will refund everything if you cancel within 7 days of installing the service.

I think you have to call and cancel. At least that's what I did.

For me, the VDSL tech seemed to have upgraded the line (probably changed the VDSL profile and increased the sync rate). I was getting attainables of about 30 mbps and that jumped up to ~60.

I'm not sure about upgrading the plan but I assume there's a fee.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3227 posts
1285 upvotes
Toronto
MysteryConqueror wrote:
Jun 8th, 2017 4:15 pm
1337x.to and warez-bb.org are blocked. I use PIA (or any VPN) to bypass it. You can use TOR.

I'm on 50/10 for 3 months now. Speeds have been consistent.

I believe there are two DSL lines to each house so you can use the secondary line for Carrytel. I actually have a basement so the secondary line is in use so the tech installed it on my primary line. With my upgraded line, I can login using both my TekSavvy and Carrytel credentials. When using either login, I would get full 50/10 speeds even though I was only paying 15/10 for Teksavvy. I cancelled with Teksavvy 2 days after it was installed. I believe CarryTel will refund everything if you cancel within 7 days of installing the service.

I think you have to call and cancel. At least that's what I did.

For me, the VDSL tech seemed to have upgraded the line (probably changed the VDSL profile and increased the sync rate). I was getting attainables of about 30 mbps and that jumped up to ~60.

I'm not sure about upgrading the plan but I assume there's a fee.
Plan change is $49
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Jun 7, 2007
717 posts
244 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Anyone having slowdown issues during the night? I had it for 2 nights in a row, but in the morning after rebooting my modem it seemed to be fine.
Not sure if it's my modem issue or general network issue from Carrytel.
Apr 12, 2017
12 posts
25jai wrote:
Jun 8th, 2017 4:19 pm
Anyone having slowdown issues during the night? I had it for 2 nights in a row, but in the morning after rebooting my modem it seemed to be fine.
Not sure if it's my modem issue or general network issue from Carrytel.
I only had speed issue last night.

I assume it's related to this:

Since last night (June 6, 2017), Our FTTN (DSL) is experiencing slow speed issue, most of the customer may notice the speed maximum is caped raged from 10m to 20m. Currently, Carry Telecom has no traffic management implement, and our technician is reaching out Bell and Cogent (back-bone) for resolution. The process may take 24 hours. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

http://carrytel.ca/support.aspx
Jun 7, 2007
717 posts
244 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yes, that's what I was experiencing last night and the night before. at certain times I got only like 1.5 mpbs download. Upload was fine I believe. Thanks for the info on the support page.
May 4, 2011
29 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Mine has been slow for 3 days now....running at 5/7.5
May 4, 2011
29 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
MysteryConqueror wrote:
Jun 8th, 2017 5:05 pm
Mine fell down to like 20 for a night.
Thats still decent for streaming....at 5 my iptv sucks right now as well
Dec 27, 2007
440 posts
174 upvotes
ryanrudolf wrote:
Jun 8th, 2017 3:25 pm
im with ebox too, 30MB unlimited but around 60per month including taxes. they only price match for 2months, after that they dont care. im switching to carrytel cable this weekend, but still have my ebox just in case. YMMV though with ebox
I can confirm that Ebox stated that they no longer pricematch competitors as of May 1 and I also move to Carrytel within the next 10 business days as they seem the best deal at the moment. Hopefully the service will be consistent with them.

Can anyone report their experience with Carrytel in Ottawa?
Last edited by kkostadinof on Jun 8th, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1047 posts
964 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My internet was fine yesterday and this morning too. I was getting about 48/11 IIRC.
Koodo $40 8GB
Dec 27, 2007
440 posts
174 upvotes
Inno wrote:
Jun 8th, 2017 2:29 pm
I'm with eBox now paying $34/mo. including tax.

I think I'm getting around 10Mb/sec. on their high-speed cable. I don't have unlimited usage, but never go over anyhow. Have maybe 200GB or something.

Looks like I can get more speed and unlimited usage from this one for around the same price. Has anyone made a switch from eBox? Any comments? Would eBox price match to keep customers?
10 Mbps or 10 Mbytes/sec? The latter would be more like 100Mbps and I don't see how they will provide this for only $34/mo.

As mentioned above, I am doing the switch as they refused to pricematch and offered only some free modem rental and $5 off the $63 price tag for their 100 MBps cable plan ( grandfathered, no longer available).
Jan 11, 2009
459 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
Internet has slowed down to 3mbps on fast.com and 8mbps on speedtest - upload is fine. I am on a 25/10 dsl
This has been happening for the last 3 days and they are blaming bell for this. Hopefully this gets resolved soon...i have been with them almost a year and never had issues.
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
285 upvotes
9613019 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2017 4:19 pm
Plan change is $49
Even within initial 7 days free trial? What if a person cancels the initially selected plan and decides to go for a higher VDSL plan, supported by the same modem? Or wise-versa, if they see the actual speeds supported by their modem don't reach 50/10? Can they wave plan change fee in such case? Is there a way to setup a temp Carrytel acc just to test the service before subscribing to it? I know some providers allow it.

This plan has no contract. Does this mean, a person can also cancel anytime? If yes, what's the difference between cancelling during the 7-day free trial and after that? IN which case they will return installation fee?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3227 posts
1285 upvotes
Toronto
arnycus wrote:
Jun 8th, 2017 7:21 pm
Even within initial 7 days free trial? What if a person cancels the initially selected plan and decides to go for a higher VDSL plan, supported by the same modem? Or wise-versa, if they see the actual speeds supported by their modem don't reach 50/10? Can they wave plan change fee in such case? Is there a way to setup a temp Carrytel acc just to test the service before subscribing to it? I know some providers allow it.

This plan has no contract. Does this mean, a person can also cancel anytime? If yes, what's the difference between cancelling during the 7-day free trial and after that? IN which case they will return installation fee?
Not sure whether they charge the plan change fee within 7 days or not. They use the same modem for both plans. If you cannot reach the speed, they can do downgrade without charge. No test account.

You can cancel at anytime. Installation fee is not refundable.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet