Expired Hot Deals

carrytel

Carrytel internet 150 mbps for 49.99 (Ont)

Nov 6, 2014
206 posts
332 upvotes
Canada
ironchefff wrote: I posted the below earlier in the thread regarding the difference between the two modems. Both have the Puma 6 chipset which makes neither the "good" option.
Thanks for the info. Like you said, there is no point to pay more for CDA3 as they use the same chip. I just placed an order for the 75/10 RFD promotion and will use the 7 trial days to find out if TC4350/Carrytel is good enough for voip before I ditch TSI.
Banned
May 22, 2013
85 posts
40 upvotes
I am going to register for the Carrytel tomorrow rfd special, any promo codes you have? please PM me.
[external links removed]
Penalty Box
Aug 19, 2015
7401 posts
7625 upvotes
Downtown Canada
Very happy with my 100Mbps, not gonna upgrade as I love my price. So far I haven't noticed any outages on my area which is very good.
Telus $30/25GB X 4 lines Non shareable
$0 200 USA LD min/month X 4 lines
$0 Visual Voicemail X 4 lines
Fringe Minority
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
450 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Noob1ee wrote: You said "Rogers offers guarantee the price you pay for the product/service not savings amount". In this case Rogers "guaranteed" the rate to be the same for 8 years, verbal contract is a form of contract.

But whatever makes you happy buddy.
I said on contract they will guarantee the price paid
You linked a post with no guarantee as there was no contract. Did you even read the post you linked? Confirms exactly what I said . Rogers offers contractual guaranteed rates. Those people didn't sign any contracts so didn't get price protection.

Can you link a thread or post where someone signed 8year contract with Rogers and got their rates raised?

You Know what a contract is? Kind of distressing people don't even know what a contract is in this day and age.

It's pretty simple stuff... Rogers will guarantee price paid by customer for service unlike others like Teksavvy, start, carrytel, etc

Since Rogers offers contracts to lock in pricing .
Aug 18, 2013
290 posts
179 upvotes
NCR
Mart99 wrote: Im a gamer and would really like to know what your opinion on the lag/jitter is once you are up and running.
Got my 150/15 service this morning. Went very smoothly. Rogers tech just verified that the line was active and left. I plugged in the Hitron modem and speedtested it several times shows 149.85/15.12 with ping of avg 28 ms. I tried Overwatch for 30 minutes and have no issues. I will cancel my Fido 60 tomorrow.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the speedtest thinks I'm with Cogent ISP. I looked that up and it looks to be US origin.

X
Last edited by xxboarderxx on Aug 10th, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 5, 2017
247 posts
189 upvotes
xxboarderxx wrote: Got my 150/15 service this morning. Went very smoothly. Rogers tech just verified that the line was active and left. I plugged in the Hitron modem and speedtested it several times shows 149.85/15.12 with ping of avg 28 ms. I tried Overwatch for 30 minutes and have no issues. I will cancel my Fido 60 tomorrow.

X
Your ping seems kinda high. I get average 11ms with teksavvy. Maybe you are connecting to a far server. See if you can connect to something closer.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16939 posts
14526 upvotes
GTA, ON
xxboarderxx wrote:
Edit: Forgot to mention that the speedtest thinks I'm with Cogent ISP. I looked that up and it looks to be US origin.

X
Backbone servers are Cogent in the USA. All speedtests will always say this as the ISP. Carrytel is basically a reseller. Your IP address will also likely show you're located in the US but should change to a Canadian location within a few weeks.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Dec 27, 2013
64 posts
6 upvotes
TORONTO
Going to sign up for them for my new house.

Should I do the Fiber 50 or Cable 150?

Not sure which one is better?
Jan 25, 2012
323 posts
98 upvotes
I currently use the $39.99 Carrytel 50/10 DSL. Wondering how their 75/10 cable compares with their DSL and whether it's worth to spend the $50 upgrade fee plus $99 modem purchase to change to cable? Also would like to know if their cable provides static ip address like their DSL.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16939 posts
14526 upvotes
GTA, ON
rdfnewbe wrote: I currently use the $39.99 Carrytel 50/10 DSL. Wondering how their 75/10 cable compares with their DSL and whether it's worth to spend the $50 upgrade fee plus $99 modem purchase to change to cable? Also would like to know if their cable provides static ip address like their DSL.
I'd stay put unless you really need the speed boost.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
450 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
cherry25 wrote: Going to sign up for them for my new house.

Should I do the Fiber 50 or Cable 150?

Not sure which one is better?
Cable seems to have less potential issues for install or interruption for them

But fiber50 has been reported to have lower ping than cable if that's a consideration to you

Imo, most would be better off using their cable
Jun 7, 2007
894 posts
433 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have both Carrytel 50/10 DSL and now 150/15 Cable, and the ping for me is like 7-9ms for DSL and 10-11ms for cable. Consistency wise I would say DSL might have the lead but not that big in terms of where I am.

If you're thinking between Fiber50 or Cable150, it's a 10 dollars difference. I would suggest also looking at Cable75 as well if you believe 75mbps is enough for you, as this one is lowest of the bunch at $35/30 days.

My Cable 150 got installed today, tech guy didn't even have to do anything because I had cable previously and was set up well. He just came up and checked my line was good, and then went outside my house to check the box. After he left I rebooted my modem and got IP.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1986 posts
1124 upvotes
So this isn't directly related to Carrytel but has anyone run into this issue?

My postal code changed June 2016. Canada post address search updated it to the new postal code but its showing as no service at this postal code when they try and put a request into cogeco. The old postal code shows service but the address doesn't match/cant be found in Canada post so they aren't able to put in a service request for the old postal code.

The odd thing is on Cogeco website the new postal code works. So it seems they just haven't updated the 3rd party database or something but I am unsure how to resolve this...
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
1338 posts
450 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
RAINMAN0 wrote: So this isn't directly related to Carrytel but has anyone run into this issue?

My postal code changed June 2016. Canada post address search updated it to the new postal code but its showing as no service at this postal code when they try and put a request into cogeco. The old postal code shows service but the address doesn't match/cant be found in Canada post so they aren't able to put in a service request for the old postal code.

The odd thing is on Cogeco website the new postal code works. So it seems they just haven't updated the 3rd party database or something but I am unsure how to resolve this...
Call in and they can confirm
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1576 posts
288 upvotes
Doubleshot wrote: Also now have a $34.99 for 75Mbps plan with $99 modem purchase for the tc4350 modem and free install

Or pay $59 for install to bring your own modem

http://www.carrytel.ca/rfd-special.aspx

Looks like I can use the cda3 I bought already for their 100Mbps service which I've had since March and quite happy with
guys it looks like I am so late to the party.. I joined carrytel when they started and am just seeing this thread.. I am on $34 plan for 30 down and 5 up. Would I be able to upgrade to this deal?
Jun 7, 2007
894 posts
433 upvotes
Richmond Hill
busybe wrote: guys it looks like I am so late to the party.. I joined carrytel when they started and am just seeing this thread.. I am on $34 plan for 30 down and 5 up. Would I be able to upgrade to this deal?
They might tell you to sign up as new customer, and once you're done activating you can cancel your current service. They told me this to avoid the 50 bucks installation fee loophole, but I was going from DSL to cable, so not sure if it's allowed from cable to cable.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1576 posts
288 upvotes
25jai wrote: They might tell you to sign up as new customer, and once you're done activating you can cancel your current service. They told me this to avoid the 50 bucks installation fee loophole, but I was going from DSL to cable, so not sure if it's allowed from cable to cable.
I hope they allow me without purchasing another modem..
Jun 7, 2007
894 posts
433 upvotes
Richmond Hill
busybe wrote: I hope they allow me without purchasing another modem..
You will have to. Your modem if it is running 30/5, is not able to run 75/10 and needs the newer Technicolor modem I believe.
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
10541 posts
5870 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone have Carrytel 150Mbps in the downtown GTA that can comment on the service, speeds etc?