• Oct 28th, 2019 5:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1660 posts
795 upvotes
Moon

Cars should automatically ticket drivers to reduce taxes

With the invention of autonomous vehicles a car can easily figure out whether a driver is speeding, running a red light, blowing by a schoolbus or any other offence through a combination of the camera and other installed sensors. The vehicle should automatically ticket drivers that commit any offense. The city should easily be able to collect hundreds of dollars a week per person using this method. This will grealtly help reducing the tax burden on hard working law abiding citizens and get ******* off the road. Of course the vehicle has no way of knowing who is driving (this may change in the future) so for now these tickets will be like red light camera infractions that are attached to the vehicle. Tampering with the automatic ticketing systems or other sensors would be considered a criminal offense. Discuss.
67 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2273 posts
765 upvotes
Winnipeg
Lets say we do that and people get caught on camera. Even then, you're just assuming people will continue to commit the offenses. Thats a pretty bold assumption. People will be smart enough, so that the revenue will go down to normal after first few weeks of implementation. Even in the first few weeks, everyone might be too cautious, so you may not see jump in revenue.

Coming back to implementation, this is a massive capital investment and a tax burden for installing state of the art systems. If the system are error prone, then you cannot get a successful conviction (remember innocent until proven guilty). However, I agree with the concept if laws can be changed and implementation can be proper.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Nov 15, 2009
913 posts
230 upvotes
Let say your coming in speed, light changes to orange. You want to stop but their is car behind you bumper to bumper. Your cannot to avoid accident, you go into the intersection light changes to red. Do you get a ticket by automated system?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18177 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto
Houses should automatically fine people who rent on Airbnb for tax evasion, insurance fraud, and bylaw infractions too. Also landlords should automatically be fined for any violation of the governing laws by a tenant complaint terminal in their homes. Anyone renting a place that doesn't have one has the property expropriated by the government.

These measures should be adopted if any such regulations on cars are and will be just as effective. Change my mind.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12916 posts
4593 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Applesmack wrote: With the invention of autonomous vehicles a car can easily figure out whether a driver is speeding, running a red light, blowing by a schoolbus or any other offence through a combination of the camera and other installed sensors. The vehicle should automatically ticket drivers that commit any offense. The city should easily be able to collect hundreds of dollars a week per person using this method. This will grealtly help reducing the tax burden on hard working law abiding citizens and get ******* off the road. Of course the vehicle has no way of knowing who is driving (this may change in the future) so for now these tickets will be like red light camera infractions that are attached to the vehicle. Tampering with the automatic ticketing systems or other sensors would be considered a criminal offense. Discuss.
Reminds me of Demolition Man for swearing offences...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4741 posts
1564 upvotes
Toronto
You could do that, but even putting aside all of the privacy concerns and political arguments, this would be spending a lot of money on the hardware, software, lawyers etc. (e.g. what if someone has an '88 Buick or a car with no "computer", who pays for the retrofit? Are you going to force someone to give up their old car? That would be a huge legal battle) for something that's going to be obsolete once it's common for computers to be driving cars. The payoff isn't there for the government to be spending a lot of money it doesn't have, to make people accept something that they don't want.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1660 posts
795 upvotes
Moon
Manatus wrote: You could do that, but even putting aside all of the privacy concerns and political arguments, this would be spending a lot of money on the hardware, software, lawyers etc. (e.g. what if someone has an '88 Buick or a car with no "computer", who pays for the retrofit? Are you going to force someone to give up their old car? That would be a huge legal battle) for something that's going to be obsolete once it's common for computers to be driving cars. The payoff isn't there for the government to be spending a lot of money it doesn't have, to make people accept something that they don't want.
Yes I would say any car that doesn't have automated systems in place will have their plates become unrenewable and their vehicles illegal. Good luck with your legal battle. Driving is not a right.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1660 posts
795 upvotes
Moon
Piro21 wrote: Houses should automatically fine people who rent on Airbnb for tax evasion, insurance fraud, and bylaw infractions too. Also landlords should automatically be fined for any violation of the governing laws by a tenant complaint terminal in their homes. Anyone renting a place that doesn't have one has the property expropriated by the government.

These measures should be adopted if any such regulations on cars are and will be just as effective. Change my mind.
I would gladly support all of this. Were you under the impression I wouldn't? Your proposals would likely be illegal though as they are a violation of privacy in someone's home. In contrast you have no expectation of privacy when in a car.
Last edited by Applesmack on Aug 20th, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 15, 2009
913 posts
230 upvotes
I think someone said, 90% of folk driving on Hwy 401 it GTA area is speeding. (Don't quote me on this). Do they automatically get speeding ticket? Doug Ford is laughing to the bank. Think about Senior Citizen running a red light because their reflex isn't fast enough. Senior have less income, can they afford $100 ticket?
Last edited by MasterMK on Aug 20th, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1660 posts
795 upvotes
Moon
MasterMK wrote: I think someone said, 90% of folk driving on Hwy 401 it GTA area is speeding. (Don't quote me on this). Do they automatically get speeding ticket? Rob Ford is laughing to the bank. Think about Senior Citizen running a red light because their reflex isn't fast enough. Senior have less income, can they afford $100 ticket?
Who cares if they can't afford it or not. Not relevant. Cant afford it then dont speed. Don't want to drive safely then dont drive. Police cannot enforce the rules for everyone and can't be everywhere. Automated systems can though.
Nov 15, 2009
913 posts
230 upvotes
Well in court of law, it Man against computer. Wonder how that is going to turn out?
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2484 posts
557 upvotes
Ottawa
This thread is the opposite of Advance.
Temp. Banned
Jul 23, 2007
2419 posts
1189 upvotes
Vancouver
How able denotes themselves
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2980 posts
1683 upvotes
Kitchener
MasterMK wrote: I think someone said, 90% of folk driving on Hwy 401 it GTA area is speeding. (Don't quote me on this). Do they automatically get speeding ticket? Doug Ford is laughing to the bank. Think about Senior Citizen running a red light because their reflex isn't fast enough. Senior have less income, can they afford $100 ticket?
I drive to Toronto from Kitchener enough to know that this is not likely true.

Average speed through Kitchener is about 60 KPH, eastbound further through to Guelph might be 90, through to Milton maybe 70, to the ETR maybe 30, and once you're in Mississauga and Toronto, you'll unlikely hit much above 70, on a good day, otherwise you're having a good day when it's moving 40. There might be one section close to the airport where you have over 10 lanes to choose from, perhaps this is the area where on could speed, if for only a few minutes.

The 407 ETR, that's another story. And I'd say 100% of people speeding. I tried doing 110 and passed no one. 115 seems to be the minimum flow.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Nov 15, 2009
913 posts
230 upvotes
Here is another problem, think about power outage. No camera functioning. Driver are speeding. Police chief tell his officer to cover that intersection. The officer is going to say that camera was doing a marvelous job handing out tickets too, what happened?

The Man goes to court, Man vs Computer. Man is going to say that computer was not functioning from this period to this period. Why? to the Judge. What is judge is going to say?

Does not compute! Does not compute!