Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
from High dollar spurs cross-border shopping revival:
Now, the Canadian Border Services Agency says it's fielding a large number of calls on its toll-free line from Canadians who want to buy vehicles in the United States.
Unfortunately, the article doesn't say anything further on the topic.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
I've contacted some manufacturers regarding their warranty for USA->Canada transfers. The question asked was:
"I live in Canada, and I'm interested in purchasing a _____ vehicle in the USA. If I go there to purchase the vehicle and then bring it back to Canada with the proper paperwork for importing, would the full warranty for the vehicle be valid in Canada? Do you have a written policy related to this issue?"

I'll edit this message to post replies as I receive them.

Acura / Honda (from here):
The reciprocal warranty agreement between Honda Canada and American Honda only covers owners who relocate from one country to the other, or owners from one country who are travelling on business or vacation in the other country. If a vehicle that was originally sold new in the United States is brought into Canada, its warranty only applies to the owner that purchased the vehicle while living in the U.S. and who imports the vehicle into Canada for their own personal or family use.
BMW:
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty is transferable from the United States to Canada. The Maintenance Plan which is offered in the US and includes engine oil services, as well as inspections, is not honored in Canada.
DaimlerChrysler:
While we appreciate your interest in our products, we must respectfully advise that DaimlerChrysler's U.S. warranties do not apply to vehicles registered in Canada.
Ford:
"The New Vehicle Limited Warranty and the Emissions Warranties described in this booklet apply to your vehicle if: a) it was originally purchased through the Ford Worldwide Direct Marketing Operations Military Sales Program; or b) it was originally sold or leased by Ford Motor Company or one of its dealers in the United States or U.S Federalized Territories, and it was originally registered/licensed and operated in the United States, U.S. Federalized Territories, or Canada. If you meet either of these two requirements, you do have warranty coverage when you travel with this vehicle outside the United States, U.S. Federalized Territories, or Canada. In some cases, however, you may have to pay the servicing Ford dealer in a foreign country or U.S. Federalized Territory for a repair that is covered under the U.S. warranty. If this happens, be sure to save the paid repair order or invoice. You should present this document to a U.S. Ford Motor Company dealer for warranty refund consideration. Refer to www.Ford.com for additional customer assistance reference information."
Hyundai (10 year warranty!)
Each country honors each others warranties. Just make sure you get all the information needed from Hyundai head office in the United States. The reason behind this is that your vehicle will always be a US product and furtermore you as a client will always be a Hyundai USA client. What we mean by that, is you are subject to USA recalls, if there is a recall for the Canadian Market it doesn't apply to you unless the USA company comes out with it. Make sure to find out if you are able to keep a mailing address with their company, because maybe they only keep USA residents mailing information on file, so make sure to keep up to date with the information provided for Hyundai USA vehicles.
Kia
Each KIA Distributor worldwide provides warranty coverage which reflects local market conditions and complies with federal government and consumer legislation.

In the United States, the warranty coverage consists of:
5 year/60,000 mile Limited Basic warranty
5 year/100,000 mile Anti-perforation warranty
5 year/unlimited Roadside Assistance
10 year/100,000 mile Power Train warranty

The warranty is not transferable to subsequent owners of the vehicle, therefore, only the original owner of the vehicle is eligible for warranty coverage.

In Canada, the warranty coverage consists of:
5 year/100,000 km Comprehensive warranty
5 year/100,000 km Power Train warranty
1 year/20,000 km First-year adjustments
8 year/130,000 km Major emissions components
5 year/unlimited Anti-perforation warranty
5 year/100,000 km Roadside Assistance

In Canada, it is legislated that warranties must be transferable to subsequent owners of the vehicle. A vehicle purchased in the United States but brought to Canada, will have a Canadian Warranty of 5 years or 100,000 kilometers, which ever occurs first, from the original warranty start date.

There are indeed, distinct advantages to the Canadian warranty.
Toyoto Canada:
As distributor of new vehicles in Canada, Toyota Canada Inc. does not
recommend the import of Canadian specification Toyotas to other
countries. In order to register a US vehicle in Canada, compliance
verification is required.

With regards to warranty coverage, we would like to take this
opportunity to explain that Toyota Canada Inc. and Toyota Motor
Sales, U.S.A. (TMS) are separate business entities, as such, we
suggest contacting TMS's Customer Relations directly at the
following:
[snip]
Toyota USA (from here):
Q: If I take my Toyota outside of the U.S.A., will I still have warranty coverage?

A: As noted in Toyota's Owner's Manual Supplement, warranty coverage is applicable to any vehicle registered and normally operated only within the mainland United States, Alaska and Canada.

If you are touring or relocating outside of the mainland U.S., Alaska, or Canada, the local dealership may not provide warranty service because the local Toyota distributor may have no obligation to provide warranty service to your vehicle. Additionally, your Toyota vehicle may not comply with the regulatory and/or environmental requirements of certain countries.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
I'm tempted by combination of the Hyundai warranty and the prices they're currently offering. Dealers are selling off the 2004 models now, so prices are relatively low...plus there's a $1500 cashback offer plus a $1000+ cashback offer for current Hyundai owners (like me). Someone posted on the edmunds.com forums yesterday:
Got one of those special letters from Hyundai today--the ones that look like something important, like a recall. It was an offer from my dealer to sell me a new Hyundai for less than what their employees pay. $4500 discounts on Elantras--or under $13k for a fully-loaded Elantra GT automatic. Another dealer advertised an automatic package 2 GLS for $9495 this past weekend (with loyalty rebate).
Hmmm...
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
1093 posts
921 upvotes
I emailed a few VW dealerships and it was kinda mixed, this is what I got from the first one
The US warranty will be honored in Canada. The 07 Jetta's bumpers and daytime running lights do meet US law requirements so I am fairly certain they would for Canada as well. All Jetta production is assembled in Mexico. The parts are 40% German, 30% Mexican, and 30% combined from many places.
the 2nd said this
Due to franchise agreements that we have with Audi and VW, we can not sell NEW cars for export into Canada. We can sell used cars. If you purchased a car from us we would have to have the vehicle registered and titled in the United States.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1196 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
and this thread is just shy of 2 years old.
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
Confucius

Heatware
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2003
2714 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
wHY would anyone revive a 2 yr old thread? :) to answer a few questions. Check out the big one in Hot Deals.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
1093 posts
921 upvotes
haha whoops

the only reason i replied here was cuz i saw a link to this thread from the thread you guys are talking about. thought maybe someone was compiling info! forgot to check the dates, sorry
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2007
2543 posts
42 upvotes
GTA
Neb wrote: wHY would anyone revive a 2 yr old thread? :) to answer a few questions. Check out the big one in Hot Deals.
frank358fr wrote: Does Mazda keep there warranty in canada?
Thanks
Revived again. Call head office and let us know.
<signature exceeds allowable length>