• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2023 2:21 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 4, 2018
13 posts
9 upvotes

Casamia Furniture in AB?

So I have a possible buyer beware, but also curious if anyone has any experience, good or bad, with this company that has several brick and mortar locations in Alberta.

I've been researching couches, and it seems they have stolen this couch design, the "Edmonton" from Albany Park's "Kova" couch.

My initial thought was that surely these couches are bought from a wholesaler and just branded under Casamia or Albany Park. But Casamia claims they have their own factories their couches are made in.

ImageImage

So, presumably Casamia has just stolen the design of the Kova and named it Edmonton. But isn't it just awful practice to steal photos from another, popular and more well known site, and claim that's exactly how the couch looks, swatches and all, when that can't possibly be true? Even a dupe wouldn't look exactly like the Kova. Looking closely at Google images of Casamia showrooms, it appears they might even have this couch on their sales floor..

Last week I even contacted their support to ask about the Edmonton because I was genuinely interested in buying it, and the person I talked to was very helpful and had all the answers for me. It seemed very legit, but now I'm looking back at the chat and realizing they claimed they own the design rights to the couch? Casamia has only seemed to have existed since 2022 whereas I see Youtube videos about the Kova couch back in 2020.

So honestly, what gives? Why are you claiming you own the design rights to it, the whole thing is pretty scummy. With a claim like that, what else could they be lying about? How are they shipping 4000 units to the US every month if they've only existed since 2022? I haven't checked any of Casamia's other couches to see if I can find the designs through other retailers, this one literally just fell into my lap because it's the design of couch I'm going for.

How I feel after writing this post..
2 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15823 posts
21567 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't think Casamia has stolen anything rom Albany Park. They are likely both just importing the same made-in-Asia product, but Casamia isn't being honest about that.
KendraK58495 wrote: My initial thought was that surely these couches are bought from a wholesaler and just branded under Casamia or Albany Park.
That's what I suspect too. According to Albany Park's website, "We currently work with manufacturers in China and Vietnam." The units are most likely exported around the world, and rebranded by the dealer. Casamia's "made in Alberta" and "we own the design rights" claims are likely bunk, unless they own the factory in Asia, which I suppose is possible but also likely bunk.

The only other thing I can think of is that the ARE being honest about manufacturing their own product in Alberta, but they have ripped off the design from the Asian manufacturer and are stealing their photos. In that case their "we own the rights to the design" is false.
[OP]
Oct 4, 2018
13 posts
9 upvotes
My only qualm about the Casamia couches being imported from an Asian wholesaler, is that how are they able to sell them for $1600 and make much of a profit on it? Big items cost a lot to ship, and aren’t tariffs(? I don’t know if this is the correct word, just referring to something I’ve read lol) from China right now the highest they’ve ever been?

I had the funny thought that the “4000 units a month” they claim to import into the US was supplying Albany Park… but it would obviously make no sense for them to get them from Canada… unless the theory about Casamia owning the factory in China is true, and Albany Park is buying through Casamia’s factory, but then questions arise such as, why does Albany Park have more colors of fabric available? Why has Casamia only been selling it since 2022 while Albany Park was 2020? And why haven’t I seen this exact couch sold by more companies during my extensive couch research? Curious..

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)