Shopping Discussion

Cashmere bathroom tissue at Superstore Don Mills not as great a deal as you think

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2016 11:05 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 30, 2010
55 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto

Cashmere bathroom tissue at Superstore Don Mills not as great a deal as you think

So my wife just returned from Superstore at Don Mills and Eglinton and purchased two packages of Cashmere toilet paper. We usually get it at Coscto when it goes on sale, however doing the math it came out cheaper at Superstore for 24 double rolls, 2 ply at 270 sheets per roll for $7.43 (as advertised in this week's flyer. Yes, don't ask, I actually do count the price per sheet to see if I'm getting a good deal or not.

Well, my wife came home with the product but it had 24 double rolls, 2 ply at only 253 sheets per roll. That's 17 x 24 = 408 less sheets than what's advertised - almost 1.5 less rolls.

I just sent an email to them so waiting to hear back what they have to say.
33 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
10874 posts
1524 upvotes
Guelph
Just wipe less now :P
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 63-0-0 and counting.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13628 posts
2392 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Often, there is a sale when a change in a product gets rolled out. And, the decrease in sheets per roll is a common practise by toilet paper companies.

Haven't seen the flyer, but usually the advertised details are usually just how many rolls per package, not how many sheets per roll. The picture used in advertising is for illustrative purposes only, and often aren't updated when a product's packaging changes.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3007 posts
1031 upvotes
Tuktoyaktuk
Bargain basement bog roll is often a bummer.
Nov 28, 2013
501 posts
226 upvotes
Did you count a large sample of rolls to get the average or just extrapolate your findings from 1 sample?

I would find your conclusion inaccurate until you produce enough results for a Gaussian distribution.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1973 posts
823 upvotes
The ever shrinking products continue, costing us more.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14077 posts
9272 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
froesesp wrote: The ever shrinking products continue, costing us more.
It's either the price goes up or the product shrinks but same price.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1883 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
Why is toilet paper bleached white? Wouldn't it be cheaper to make toilet paper than is the brown paper kind that doesn't use bleach?
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1973 posts
823 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: It's either the price goes up or the product shrinks but same price.
Often both happen, not always at the same time though.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
397 upvotes
Does it say on the package how many sheets there are?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9832 posts
4134 upvotes
harryshins wrote: So my wife just returned from Superstore at Don Mills and Eglinton and purchased two packages of Cashmere toilet paper. We usually get it at Coscto when it goes on sale, however doing the math it came out cheaper at Superstore for 24 double rolls, 2 ply at 270 sheets per roll for $7.43 (as advertised in this week's flyer. Yes, don't ask, I actually do count the price per sheet to see if I'm getting a good deal or not.

Well, my wife came home with the product but it had 24 double rolls, 2 ply at only 253 sheets per roll. That's 17 x 24 = 408 less sheets than what's advertised - almost 1.5 less rolls.

I just sent an email to them so waiting to hear back what they have to say.
Just checked the 12=24 rolls UltraLuxe Cashmere I got from SDM for $3.99 - 1.00 coupon and it is 176 sheets per roll
Nov 9, 2013
799 posts
864 upvotes
Barrie
JoeStale wrote: Why is toilet paper bleached white? Wouldn't it be cheaper to make toilet paper than is the brown paper kind that doesn't use bleach?
So you can easily tell that you're done wiping? :D
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7064 posts
1394 upvotes
Scarborough
True RFDers use a water/bidet :lol: and save all that money!
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1883 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
transitguy1 wrote: True RFDers use a water/bidet :lol: and save all that money!
True RFDers use corn husks and Sears catalogs.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1883 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
This thread got me thinking. You shouldn't be calculating the cost per sheet. You should actually be weighing the rolls of toilet paper on a kitchen scale and calculating the cost per kilogram.

Different toilet paper can be different dimensions and thicknesses so the cost per kilogram is actually the most accurate way of finding out what is the better deal.
Nov 20, 2008
787 posts
344 upvotes
JoeStale wrote: This thread got me thinking. You shouldn't be calculating the cost per sheet. You should actually be weighing the rolls of toilet paper on a kitchen scale and calculating the cost per kilogram.

Different toilet paper can be different dimensions and thicknesses so the cost per kilogram is actually the most accurate way of finding out what is the better deal.
Not really, what good is a super dense sheet of toilet paper vs an entire roll of not as dense? They both weigh the same, but you will you your super dense sheet only once (hopefully).
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1883 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
cyberspyder wrote: Not really, what good is a super dense sheet of toilet paper vs an entire roll of not as dense? They both weigh the same, but you will you your super dense sheet only once (hopefully).
Not density, but mass per sheet. A low density sheet of toilet paper is called one ply and is good for no one since you have to fold so many layers together so it doesn't soak through. The more mass you have in one sheet, the fewer sheets you will use overall wiping because you have to fold fewer sheets together since a higher mass per sheet is indicative of either a larger size or thickness.

What you want to be getting is the most kilograms of toilet paper per dollar you spend because that normalizes the sheet dimensions and thickness automatically by virtue of looking at the mass.