• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2020 6:43 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 22, 2012
202 posts
179 upvotes

Cat biting

We got a new kitten around 6 weeks ago, he's about 3 months old now.. We love him! He's super cuddly when hes tired or relaxed, but sometimes a switch is flipped and he is a full on biter and we don't want that to continue into adulthood.

We've been trying all 3 of the following methods:
1. replace our hands with toys
2. Pull him away while hissing or yelling in a loud tone
3. putting him immediately on the floor (least effective it seems)

None seem to be really helping. I know he's a kitten and uses his mouth to explore, but we want to teach good behavior and aren't sure of the best way to do so. He bites my girlfriend much more than me, I assume it's a display of dominance as well
6 replies
Oct 20, 2011
75 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
Enforcer22 wrote: We got a new kitten around 6 weeks ago, he's about 3 months old now.. We love him! He's super cuddly when hes tired or relaxed, but sometimes a switch is flipped and he is a full on biter and we don't want that to continue into adulthood.

We've been trying all 3 of the following methods:
1. replace our hands with toys
2. Pull him away while hissing or yelling in a loud tone
3. putting him immediately on the floor (least effective it seems)

None seem to be really helping. I know he's a kitten and uses his mouth to explore, but we want to teach good behavior and aren't sure of the best way to do so. He bites my girlfriend much more than me, I assume it's a display of dominance as well
This is fairly common. The best way is a time out. Watch Jackson Galaxy on Youtube.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19908 posts
5281 upvotes
Off the 404
I offer my fingers and hands to my cats and when they bite, i move my finger horizontally further into their mouth, which makes it uncomfortable for them. I keep doing it and they've stop biting cause they know if they bite, that hand/finger is going further into their mouth. It seems to have helped but timeouts is also good.
Oct 1, 2003
442 posts
124 upvotes
Vancouver
Happened to me with my kitten.

We got her when she was about 8 weeks old (I think) from SPCA. She is almost a year old now.

At first, we would never play with her with our bare hands, only with toys. She would still sometimes bite when my hand comes near her. So, that didn't really work.

When she bit me, I would yell "Ouch" and pretend to cry, to show she hurt me. That didn't work either. Maybe her intention WAS to hurt me.

Bought her "chew/teething" toys. Ignored those.

Like I said it has almost been a year (11 months) now, and in the last week, there is definitely less biting. From daily to about once a week.

Not sure if what I did above helped, but thought it might give you some hope, that maybe she just needs to "grow out of it".

At the time, all I could do was hope, as everything I tried didn't seem to work.
Apr 30, 2020
61 posts
36 upvotes
Vancouver
my older kitten is a biter. now that i'm used to him, i know what makes him bite and what doesn't.
he doesn't like unsolicited pets, but once he comes to me for pets then i can just go to town on petting him and no bites at all.
sometimes he still will randomly bite even still, but i can generally detect it and then sort of toss him off me and stop the playing.
i got a second cat so hopefully it helps him understand that bites hurt.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4978 posts
2185 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Just testing the quality and freshness of his emergency rations. Nothing to worry about.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1879 posts
294 upvotes
Canada
My 2 previous cats were sometimes biters
The one I have now doesn’t bites at all.