Pets

Cat breed suggestions

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2022 12:40 pm
Aug 15, 2021
1 posts

Cat breed suggestions

Looking for a loving cat breed that doesn't shed too much

I've had ragdolls in the past. Super loving and friendly, but the amount of fur I was getting from them over the years was enough to open a sweater factory. I had to brush them almost every day and the fur was still everywhere, on every piece of clothes

Any suggestions on the breed which are friendly, enjoy to be petted/touched and don't shed as much?
29 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1684 posts
1122 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
Sphynx are awesome.

But instead of needing to be brushed, they do need to be bathed or at least wiped down on a regular basis. Because they are hairless, they tend to get oil build up.

Super sweet cats and loves to be cuddled.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10537 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
I have two ragdolls, there's fur but its not overwhelming. I also brush em once a week or so, maybe bi-weekly sometimes.

You might just have had a sickly ragdoll.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10192 posts
5514 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Anikiri wrote: I have two ragdolls, there's fur but its not overwhelming. I also brush em once a week or so, maybe bi-weekly sometimes.

You might just have had a sickly ragdoll.
They are, if you believe everything you read on the internet, non-shedding or minimal shedding. One of ours sheds more than the other (enough to supply a quilt factory if not a sweater one).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2004
3899 posts
294 upvotes
Markham
Bengals, they're affectionate, love being around people, enjoys being pet/groomed and have a fairly short coat. The shedding is minimal, of course there will still be fur all around the places where it rests but comparing to a domestic shorthair I had in the past, there's no longer fur collected all around the stairs or in random corners of the house. It's also nice that I can pick up the cat and not have fur all over my clothes or sneeze from the dander.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2016
5290 posts
6490 upvotes
We got a British Short Hair (female) for our son during the pandemic. Honestly, what a difference a pet makes in the household.
The cat is fantastic for kids. Very, very playful yet not a "lap cat" but always at the kid's feet and follows him where ever he goes. Whatever we're going the cat is always within eye sight.
Cute things.. the cat sits on the can when the kid brushes his teeth and when the kid falls asleep the cat moves from the bed to the doorway sort of like guarding the room.

Funny thing the breed does is their known to sit on their butts (just google it)
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1750 upvotes
Clarington, ON
We have always been partial to the furry that will show us their belly at the shelter.
Images
  • 0ACB6CFD-BAE6-44EA-BFDE-9AE9483540D1.jpeg
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10192 posts
5514 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
KevinM56081 wrote: We have always been partial to the furry that will show us their belly at the shelter.
As my wife has found out painfully - several times - with her brother's cat, that doesn't mean it's an invitation to rub it.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1750 upvotes
Clarington, ON
thriftshopper wrote: As my wife has found out painfully - several times - with her brother's cat, that doesn't mean it's an invitation to rub it.
Oh. We get all the pets. Thinks it's a dog.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4908 posts
584 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
My neighbour owns a maine coon cat name Elvis.Hes a huge sob..about 8kg.Friendly as heck.
Last edited by gizmo8 on Nov 3rd, 2021 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3861 posts
2938 upvotes
Markham
KevinM56081 wrote: We have always been partial to the furry that will show us their belly at the shelter.
That is good that you adopt.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10192 posts
5514 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
UrbanPoet wrote: I got a Manx. Great cats.
They genetically have no tail! I actually adopted her. pretty rare
Should go to Malaysia. There are at least 3 tail mutations in the local cat population. One is no tail. The other two are kinked tails, one of which has two right angle kinks. When my wife first saw a cat with that tail, she thought someone had mutilated its tail, until she saw more cats, and kittens with the crooked tail.

http://messybeast.com/bobtail-cats.html
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21362 posts
23638 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Aside from just looking for a breed that doesn't shed, how about personality? You want a lap cat, playful cat, cats with dog like behaviour???

To me that's more important than shedding.
Apr 30, 2020
466 posts
526 upvotes
Vancouver
other than an exotic breed that is super short haired like a sphynx, just a regular domestic shorthair is probably the next best thing.
even among them some are shorter haired than others, my grey one has short hair compared to my black one, even though they would both be classified as shorthaired.
they shed a normal amount i'd say, nothing crazy but it's not non existent.
i've never had the need to brush either of them. i did it for a while thinking i was supposed to but then realized it was a waste of time.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10192 posts
5514 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
TTblBO wrote: I've had ragdolls in the past. Super loving and friendly, but the amount of fur I was getting from them over the years was enough to open a sweater factory.
IMG_0764D.JPG
IMG_0765D.JPG
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10192 posts
5514 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
IMG_0766.jpg
image0.jpeg
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1684 posts
1122 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
thriftshopper wrote: IMG_0766.jpg

image0.jpeg
Are you seriously spinning yarn with cat fur?
That seems so cool. When I use to do more yarn craft, I considered spinning my own yarn, but I have too many hobbies and didn't have the room for a spinning wheel.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)