Cat breed suggestions

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2021 10:00 am
[OP]
Aug 15, 2021
1 posts

Cat breed suggestions

Looking for a loving cat breed that doesn't shed too much

I've had ragdolls in the past. Super loving and friendly, but the amount of fur I was getting from them over the years was enough to open a sweater factory. I had to brush them almost every day and the fur was still everywhere, on every piece of clothes

Any suggestions on the breed which are friendly, enjoy to be petted/touched and don't shed as much?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1144 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga area
Sphynx are awesome.

But instead of needing to be brushed, they do need to be bathed or at least wiped down on a regular basis. Because they are hairless, they tend to get oil build up.

Super sweet cats and loves to be cuddled.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10084 posts
9914 upvotes
Markham
I have two ragdolls, there's fur but its not overwhelming. I also brush em once a week or so, maybe bi-weekly sometimes.

You might just have had a sickly ragdoll.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6802 posts
3091 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Anikiri wrote: I have two ragdolls, there's fur but its not overwhelming. I also brush em once a week or so, maybe bi-weekly sometimes.

You might just have had a sickly ragdoll.
They are, if you believe everything you read on the internet, non-shedding or minimal shedding. One of ours sheds more than the other (enough to supply a quilt factory if not a sweater one).
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2004
3830 posts
223 upvotes
Markham
Bengals, they're affectionate, love being around people, enjoys being pet/groomed and have a fairly short coat. The shedding is minimal, of course there will still be fur all around the places where it rests but comparing to a domestic shorthair I had in the past, there's no longer fur collected all around the stairs or in random corners of the house. It's also nice that I can pick up the cat and not have fur all over my clothes or sneeze from the dander.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
2151 posts
3205 upvotes
We got a British Short Hair (female) for our son during the pandemic. Honestly, what a difference a pet makes in the household.
The cat is fantastic for kids. Very, very playful yet not a "lap cat" but always at the kid's feet and follows him where ever he goes. Whatever we're going the cat is always within eye sight.
Cute things.. the cat sits on the can when the kid brushes his teeth and when the kid falls asleep the cat moves from the bed to the doorway sort of like guarding the room.

Funny thing the breed does is their known to sit on their butts (just google it)
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
We have always been partial to the furry that will show us their belly at the shelter.
Images
  • 0ACB6CFD-BAE6-44EA-BFDE-9AE9483540D1.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6802 posts
3091 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
KevinM56081 wrote: We have always been partial to the furry that will show us their belly at the shelter.
As my wife has found out painfully - several times - with her brother's cat, that doesn't mean it's an invitation to rub it.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
thriftshopper wrote: As my wife has found out painfully - several times - with her brother's cat, that doesn't mean it's an invitation to rub it.
Oh. We get all the pets. Thinks it's a dog.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4591 posts
502 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
My neighbour owns a main coon cat name Elvis.Hes a huge sob..about 8kg.Friendly as heck.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2832 posts
1486 upvotes
Markham
KevinM56081 wrote: We have always been partial to the furry that will show us their belly at the shelter.
That is good that you adopt.