• Mar 29th, 2020 10:48 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1291 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto

Cat full mouth extraction

I recently took my cat to the vet because he was having issues with his gums. The vet recommended either:

1. Extracting his back teeth and waiting to see if that helped, or
2. A full mouth extraction

The low/high estimate was roughly $2,000 - $3,600.

Has anyone had to go through a full mouth extraction for their cat recently? How does the above quote look? Any vet recommendations around the GTA?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
oral care is very important for cat's health and longevity
don't let money be a deterrent
but you can always shop around
thanks for being a good pet parent.
May 17, 2006
605 posts
191 upvotes
Our cat just had 13 teeth removed last week, due to decay after switching to soft food exclusively (male with kidney issues). Our vet capped their fee at $2,000. The bill showed an additional $1,200 that was discounted.

We believe this was a large source of discomfort for him for the past year, which affected mood, behaviour, feeding. We're hopeful this brings him back to his old self, save for eating the really hard Greenies treats (which didn't seem to do anything for dental health).

FYI, the work was done at VCA Secord Animal Hospital, where he's been going for most of his adult life.

Good luck.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3925 posts
1036 upvotes
Toronto
Brrr - your cat will be just fine and eat more than you think. It wasn't a cat but a small dog that we had who experienced issues and had to have most of his teeth removed. Of course he loved food, was an Alpha and wasn't about to be deprived of anything. Mind over matter.

I agree with you about Greenies. Outside of the choking issues which are bad enough, they really did not help our dog's teeth at all (we only tried them once).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8483 posts
2926 upvotes
0 downvotes
haha, so funny u mention, almost everyone i know with pets do not brush their pets teeth, they leave it alone so ur saying they should brush the cats and dogs teeth right?
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Banned
Mar 4, 2020
102 posts
105 upvotes
Yikes. Imagine spending thousands of dollars extracting teeth from actual vermin
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21213 posts
6983 upvotes
GTA
I brush my two cats teeth every other day, it took a while for them to get used to it, but treats plus clicker training made them tolerate it.
Jun 16, 2008
60 posts
10 upvotes
Word Wide Web
If you live in the Toronto area, try https://malvernveterinaryhospital.ca/
I've been going there for years, He truly cares about animals and his prices are very good. Because of the current covid-19 situation he's only taking emergency calls so you'll have to wait till they change it.