Sports & Recreation

Caught in TO cycling blitz

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2010 12:34 pm
Aug 23, 2010
33 posts
Kincardine

Caught in TO cycling blitz

Was biking today and got stopped around Broadview and O'Conner by a police officer for the annual cycling cash grab, I mean "safety blitz". :mad:

Ended up getting a $110 ticket for missing not having a bell.

What's the best way to deal with this ticket? I really don't want to pay the full $110; is this my reward for biking to work?

The officer mentioned something about getting a bell then visiting the crown? Not completely sure what he was talking about.
38 replies
Nov 7, 2007
328 posts
15 upvotes
I started cycling this year and one of the first things I checked was the bike law which is under the highway traffic act. I bought a 4 dollar bell at sportcheck to avoid a 110 fine. Another thing to watch out is "disobey stop sign which is very common with cyclist , also 110 fine.

I guess go to the crown, plead guilty, show your bell and tell them you learned your lesson.

http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/pdf/hta.pdf
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2721 posts
705 upvotes
willemk wrote:
What's the best way to deal with this ticket?
You broke the law, pay the ticket. stop trying to circumvent the law.

It costs money to pave the road for cyclists too (and paint the bike lanes). take solace in the fact that you're share of the costs is a lot less then it is for drivers
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3791 posts
297 upvotes
YUL
ItechJester wrote: You broke the law, pay the ticket. stop trying to circumvent the law.

It costs money to pave the road for cyclists too (and paint the bike lanes). take solace in the fact that you're share of the costs is a lot less then it is for drivers
I agree with the first part, but was the anti-bike rhetoric necessary?

Do you take solace from the fact that we pay taxes to pave roads that we can't even use? Think Gardiner Expressway, DVP, 400-series highways...
The lines on the road are repainted every year anyway, so what's the extra cost of painting a few bike symbols?
Aug 23, 2010
33 posts
Kincardine
As a side note, i do also own a car and pay my fair share of road taxes,

$110 seems extremely excessive for something so minor.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1959 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto
$110 -is- excessive.

[QUOTE]Early resolution at first attendance
If you receive an Offence Notice (commonly called a "ticket") for an offence indicated on the chart below other than parking, stopping or standing of a vehicle, you may have a First Attendance meeting with a prosecutor. At this meeting you can discuss the charge(s) on the ticket(s) and possibly reach a satisfactory result without a trial.

First attendance meetings are available by appointment only and must be requested in person at the court office address indicated on the back of your ticket. Court rulings require that you must file a trial request at the same time you request a first attendance meeting. If the first attendance meeting is not successful, then a trial will automatically be set. [/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1326 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
twotterdhc6 wrote: Do you take solace from the fact that we pay taxes to pave roads that we can't even use? Think Gardiner Expressway, DVP, 400-series highways...
You can drive on them, you choose not to.

As for the OP - you broke the law, you deserve the fine, pay the ticket and follow the rules of the road.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
I just don't understand why cyclist would not know the basic legal requirement of riding a bike. You need a bell. You need reflectors.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16186 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
pseudo wrote: I started cycling this year and one of the fir/�x�$��)s I checked was the bike law which is under the highway traffic act. I bought a 4 dollar bell at sportcheck to avoid a 110 fine. Another thing to watch out is "disobey stop sign which is very common with cyclist , also 110 fine.

I guess go to the crown, plead guilty, show your bell and tell them you learned your lesson.

http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/pdf/hta.pdf
Wait... you bought a $4 bell? Dollar store sells same bell for $1 bro. You got gipped
Money, Religion, Sex and Politics is what it is all about!
99% Tryhard I've got hardwood flooring downstairs...if you know what I am talking about
Jun 30, 2009
841 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto
gman wrote: I just don't understand why cyclist would not know the basic legal requirement of riding a bike. You need a bell. You need reflectors.
I was once told by a cop you only need reflectors or lighting if you are going to be riding at night? I'm not about to put a set of reflectors on my road racing bike (I do have a bell hidden behind the stem though). On my other bikes, if I'm not sure how late I'll be out I bring a set of those small MEC lights that you can strap to your seat tube and handlebars, but I'll leave them off the bike till I need them.

Edit: Here's the law:

"Section 62 (17) Lamps Required (Equipment)
When on a highway at any time from one half-hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise every bicycleshall carry on the front thereof a light lamp displaying a white or amber light and on the rear thereof a lighted lamp displaying a red light or a reflector approved by the Ministry, and in addition there shall be placed on the front forks thereof white reflective material and on the rear thereof red reflective material covering a surface of not less than 250 millimeters in length and 25 millimeters in width.

It is not practical, (and in some cases impossible) for most modern bicycles to accommodate the amounts of tape now required by the H.T.A. Clothing with reflective tape or material could enhance cyclists' visibility when there is insufficient light. The intent of this section is that the cyclist and his or her vehicle should be visible. Some degree of flexibility in how this is to be achieved would be desirable."
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3791 posts
297 upvotes
YUL
Crappymonkey wrote: I was once told by a cop you only need reflectors or lighting if you are going to be riding at night? I'm not about to put a set of reflectors on my road racing bike (I do have a bell hidden behind the stem though).

It is not practical, (and in some cases impossible) for most modern bicycles to accommodate the amounts of tape now required by the H.T.A. Clothing with reflective tape or material could enhance cyclists' visibility when there is insufficient light. The intent of this section is that the cyclist and his or her vehicle should be visible. Some degree of flexibility in how this is to be achieved would be desirable."
Reflectors are the bare minimum required by law, but we all know how useless they are in practice. There are quite a few low-profile styles of lights you can attach to a road bike without bracket or tools.

I read about the reflective tape requirement before, but it is something that is rarely cited, and never enforced. I'd rather attach more lights than have some ugly tape permanently stuck on my forks.
taylyn wrote: You can drive on them, you choose not to.
No, I can't drive my bicycle on the 400-series highway, even if i choose to.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
2095 posts
129 upvotes
North York
You did break the law, although it is excessive for not having a bell. Plead guilty and pay the fine is the only thing I can suggest.

There are bad cyclist, I am not suggesting the OP is one, and there are bad drivers. I hate the notion of hating on each other. I have a car and I love to bike for recreational and commuting purposes. I hate drivers who are rude and shout nasty things at me because they don't want to share the road even though I keep well to the right and go pretty fast just as much as I hate cyclists who don't obey the signs and those who bike in the opposite direction of the given lane/street/road/path.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2990 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
Put on the bell, go to court, and tell them you're sorry you didn't know and you have fixed it and it won't happen again.

I did that when I didn't have a valid insurance card, and forgot plate sticker.
They just threw it out.
Nov 7, 2007
328 posts
15 upvotes
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote: Wait... you bought a $4 bell? Dollar store sells same bell for $1 bro. You got gipped
Im not that cheap like you bro..
Jun 30, 2009
841 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto
jacobe wrote: I hate cyclists who don't obey the signs and those who bike in the opposite direction of the given lane/street/road/path.
Lol. Gotta love the bike salmon.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1326 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
twotterdhc6 wrote: No, I can't drive my bicycle on the 400-series highway, even if i choose to.
I quite clearly said you could DRIVE on them if you wanted to, not RIDE. You choose not to DRIVE on the highway so tough luck to you. Only an idiot would want to ride a bike on a highway.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2003
3284 posts
70 upvotes
ItechJester wrote: You broke the law, pay the ticket. stop trying to circumvent the law.

Ya..but do you know how that gets paid for? With your property taxes. Most roads are owned by the municipality. They get there money from property taxes (with only a small amount coming from the meager amount the government lets them have of the gas tax)
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2721 posts
705 upvotes
twotterdhc6 wrote: I agree with the first part, but was the anti-bike rhetoric necessary?

Do you take solace from the fact that we pay taxes to pave roads that we can't even use? Think Gardiner Expressway, DVP, 400-series highways...
The lines on the road are repainted every year anyway, so what's the extra cost of painting a few bike symbols?
i am not anti-bike. i am just realistic. do you expect others to burden the cost for bikers just because? this isn't a communist country. everyone should pay a certain amount, within their means
new_vr wrote: Ya..but do you know how that gets paid for? With your property taxes. Most roads are owned by the municipality. They get there money from property taxes (with only a small amount coming from the meager amount the government lets them have of the gas tax)
what does that have to do with anything? if a toronto cop is ticketing bicyclists, where do you think the money ends up?
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2005
1029 posts
Toronto
ItechJester wrote: i am not anti-bike. i am just realistic. do you expect others to burden the cost for bikers just because? this isn't a communist country. everyone should pay a certain amount, within their means

what does that have to do with anything? if a toronto cop is ticketing bicyclists, where do you think the money ends up?
Like the OP said, many cyclists own vehicles and own property. Cyclists pay for the road and use a little bit of it and never in the winter. I, for one, associate a lot of cyclists with a vibrant and healthy community. You don't see people biking in Detroit but you sure see a lot of them in Amsterdam and NYC.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto
willemk wrote: Was biking today and got stopped around Broadview and O'Conner by a police officer for the annual cycling cash grab, I mean "safety blitz". :mad:

Ended up getting a $110 ticket for missing not having a bell.

What's the best way to deal with this ticket? I really don't want to pay the full $110; is this my reward for biking to work?

The officer mentioned something about getting a bell then visiting the crown? Not completely sure what he was talking about.

How is this a cash grab? Any blitz with the intention on saving lives is definitely NOT a cash grab. Ride checks, seatbelt checks, unsafe driving blitzes, safety checks for transport vehicles, helmet checks, and of course, bell checks are all to reduce accidents, which of course saves lives. If the police issues you a ticket for not having a life saving tool, how can you blame them?