[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5433 posts
2932 upvotes
Toronto

Caught stunt driving in ON = $18,000 in rental fees

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-man- ... -1.5551655
TORONTO -- An Ontario man will be forced to pay $18,000 in rental fees because the Lamborghini he rented was impounded by police after he was allegedly caught stunt driving.

According to Peel Regional Police, the rented Lamborghini was being “tested out” by the driver, who was caught going 122 km/h in a 60 km/h zone in Brampton.
That is one expensive ride of a lifetime. Better stick to roller coasters.
48 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4192 posts
2461 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ROYinTO wrote: https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-man- ... -1.5551655

That is one expensive ride of a lifetime. Better stick to roller coasters.
i mean if he has money to burn and rent a Lambo, then he sure has money to pay the fine.

AND NO, it wasn't me..Smiling Face With Sunglasses
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
Driving a fast car doesn't mean to ignore the rules.

Good job officer.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16972 posts
14576 upvotes
GTA, ON
Dumb ass. If he wanted to test it out @ 122kph, it's called the 400-series, or better yet, the 407.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2964 posts
1540 upvotes
Calgary, AB
chimaican wrote: Dumb ass. If he wanted to test it out @ 122kph, it's called the 400-series, or better yet, the 407.
Even better: A race track.

If you want to drive like a ****, do it somewhere designed for it.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
2108 posts
3866 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
You can go 120 in a 60km/h road with a corolla. If you're gonna speed on a public road with a rented lambo, at least go 250+ on the 400
Sep 30, 2010
216 posts
217 upvotes
Mississauga
agreed, he shoulda just ran. Peel police rarely chase and if they do they suck at it
Mar 27, 2021
385 posts
467 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Dumb ass. If he wanted to test it out @ 122kph, it's called the 400-series, or better yet, the 407.
122 on a 100km/h.....wouldn't have been pulled over at all!

Not the sharpest tool in the shed unfortunately.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4627 posts
4880 upvotes
GTA
I assume most of that $18,000 is loss of use fees from the rental company. There's no way that 14 days of impound fees costs that much.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
He rented but got owned.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
engineered wrote: That $18k quote is from the cops. I doubt the rental company is going to charge him that much. It wouldn't be good PR for them, since most who rent are probably exceeding the speed limit.
Yes, the driver is a moron. Supercars on the street are boring, I've only driven them on the track where you can have fun.
I really think a rental company is going to do whatever they can to recoup it’s lost revenue due to the car being out of commission. As well as impound fees, etc. They would do the same thing if you cracked it up and it was in the shop for an extended period. Pretty sure the the driver would be signing a waiver accepting those responsibilities.

C
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31905 posts
18905 upvotes
Toronto
https://gtaexotics.ca/rentals/lamborghi ... can-coupe/

for example. Security deposit of $10,000 is required for this place Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

say $1200 per day x 10 days + $1300 per days x 4 days = $17,200 + taxes = $19,436 + # of days the driver has rented prior to the impoundment. The other fees this driver also need to pay would be storage fee on top as well. Other charges of insurance $ per day. In the end, this moron would be liable for well over $20,000 when the final bills are added up.

Therefore, the cop is certainly has projected the right amount.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3007 upvotes
Everybody should travel at the posted speed limit. Or face this governmental stupidity.

There is no point in owning anything but a Corolla.
5309 upvotes
Mississauga
If you want to drive fast, there's this little place near Bowmanville called Mosport you can go and have at it.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2379 posts
1872 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
CNeufeld wrote: I really think a rental company is going to do whatever they can to recoup it’s lost revenue due to the car being out of commission. As well as impound fees, etc. They would do the same thing if you cracked it up and it was in the shop for an extended period. Pretty sure the the driver would be signing a waiver accepting those responsibilities.

C
If that had been Grand Touring Automobiles delivering/collecting the vehicle it would have been transported on an enclosed flatbed. Rental agency will go over the vehicle very carefully.

Still…that this happened in Peel surprised some entrepreneurial spirits didn’t race towards the bright vehicle in hopes of staging a luxurious accident.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2570 posts
1287 upvotes
Hometown
Just so much fail by the driver was he scared of the 400 series highways, high or just stupid?

Just because the rental company will charge him an amount it does not mean they will ever get the dollars. Sure they could go to court get a judgement and all, but that does not put money in the till. I think this episode shows he might not be the most reliable person out there.

Interesting reading comments suggesting going to a track. I totally agree racing and even high speed pulls belong on a track or closed road of some sort, not on any public roads. However what exotic street car rental company would rent you a car to go and track? I am pretty sure in some markets you can RENT an exotic track car at a track. If you have that kind of coin and go through their "training" courses. Does such an animal exist around the GTA? I bet the underwriter for that kind of insurance has a happy ending every time the monthly premium comes in if there is one. LOL
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6597 posts
6073 upvotes
What a dummy - goes to the worst place for stunt driving (Brampton) all the way from London. Anyways, I'm glad he's got a $18,000 fine because government 'discipline' is useless and does little to deter this behaviour.