[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4407 posts
608 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake

Caulking question

Hi all,

I’ve got some baseboards that have gaps appearing between them and the wall. I’m going to have to recaulk then paint these again. What caulk do people recommend using?

From what I’ve read Dynaflex 230 or Alex Flex are the two options that might be best? Does anyone have any recommendations/thoughts?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2003
1635 posts
208 upvotes
North West Ontario
Typhoonz wrote: Hi all,

I’ve got some baseboards that have gaps appearing between them and the wall. I’m going to have to recaulk then paint these again. What caulk do people recommend using?

From what I’ve read Dynaflex 230 or Alex Flex are the two options that might be best? Does anyone have any recommendations/thoughts?
I'd use what ever is cheapest at home Depot. Make sure it's latex. If your baseboards are white, you can caulk and there is no rush (probably no need) to paint (if you buy white caulk). Start somewhere a bit less noticeable do you get use to running a consistent bead.

Fancier caulking would be needed outside and in a damp environment.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2006
1141 posts
457 upvotes
Typhoonz wrote: Hi all,

I would recommend Alex painters caulk, I believe its meant to fill in gaps and then paint over.

https://www.dap.com/products-projects/p ... -painters/

I would not recommend Dynaflex 230 caulking, I use that for outdoor windows. Its pretty heavy duty stuff so if you ever need to remove it, it may not be easy.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18188 posts
9309 upvotes
I have used both cheap and expensive caulking. The difference in price is a buck or two. Use the more expensive caulking, with whatever you choose to use.

I recommend the Dynaflex 230. It is a much higher quality caulking and can easily cover wide gaps. It's a bit more flexible which can help if there are any expansion / contraction issues. Everyone will have their own preferred caulking, this is just my opinion.

Regardless of what you choose:
- Buy a dripless caulking gun. It's $5-10 more but basically releases the pressure so that caulking stops when you release the trigger (in cheaper guns that are not dripless a little "trickles" out after you release the trigger).
- If you are painting over it, give it plenty of time to cure. Don't make the mistake of painting 20 minutes later.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
8306 posts
7007 upvotes
Ottawa
I use paintable silicone caulking - I have found that most latex caulks are prone to cracking eventually. That said, I've had tremendously good experience with Mulco caulks/sealants - like decades without separation cracking.
I always upvote respectful/helpful posts wherever I encounter them.
Oct 27, 2012
74 posts
106 upvotes
Oshawa
You need to paint it. Caulk will trap the dust and also eventually turn slightly yellow.
Sep 2, 2005
853 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
i like the sherwin williams 950A
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4407 posts
608 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
CaptSmethwick wrote: I use paintable silicone caulking - I have found that most latex caulks are prone to cracking eventually. That said, I've had tremendously good experience with Mulco caulks/sealants - like decades without separation cracking.
Where do you purchase that?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4407 posts
608 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
TrevorK wrote: I have used both cheap and expensive caulking. The difference in price is a buck or two. Use the more expensive caulking, with whatever you choose to use.

I recommend the Dynaflex 230. It is a much higher quality caulking and can easily cover wide gaps. It's a bit more flexible which can help if there are any expansion / contraction issues. Everyone will have their own preferred caulking, this is just my opinion.

Regardless of what you choose:
- Buy a dripless caulking gun. It's $5-10 more but basically releases the pressure so that caulking stops when you release the trigger (in cheaper guns that are not dripless a little "trickles" out after you release the trigger).
- If you are painting over it, give it plenty of time to cure. Don't make the mistake of painting 20 minutes later.
Good points. Yeah, I did one room with Alex Flex and gave it at least 12 hours to dry before I painted.
Nov 30, 2010
271 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
beakdeal wrote: You need to paint it. Caulk will trap the dust and also eventually turn slightly yellow.
In my experience this is true.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
8306 posts
7007 upvotes
Ottawa
Typhoonz wrote: Where do you purchase that?
Paintable silicone is available virtually everywhere - HD, CTC, etc. I've only ever bought Mulco at Rona.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1852 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
CaptSmethwick wrote: Paintable silicone is available virtually everywhere - HD, CTC, etc. I've only ever bought Mulco at Rona.
FYI - Mulco is rated for exterior use only. Overkill for interior - it will also stink to high hell inside.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
8306 posts
7007 upvotes
Ottawa
jacquesstrap wrote: FYI - Mulco is rated for exterior use only. Overkill for interior - it will also stink to high hell inside.
Yeah, it's where I use Mulco. That being said, the paintable silicone stuff I use inside also stinks (until it cures).
Dec 21, 2020
624 posts
548 upvotes
I just use the cheap Alex Plus. If the baseboards are pulling from the walls just use a stud finder to find the studs and drive a brad in each one at the top of the baseboard to keep it tight before caulking. You need to paint the caulk as it will eventually yellow but try to keep it off the walls so you only have to touch up the baseboard and not the wall as well. The latex stuff is easier to work with as it can be removed and cleaned up with just water while the silicone stuff can be a pain to clean up if it gets away from you.

Do not use the outdoor only stuff inside. It will generally not be paintable but it will also let off harsher chemicals (when curing) that you really don't want in the house.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1852 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
Please DO NOT use the cheap Alex Plus stuff. It is crap and WILL fail after a few years. It has will begin to crack and pull away from the wall or baseboard due to natural movement, regardless of whether you paint it or not.

OP - for baseboards, you want an elastomeric latex sealant such as Dynaflex, which is also paintable.

I prefer Dynaflex and have used it in several projects where I needed to caulk the connections between, baseboard/moulding/door and window trim to either drywall or plaster.
Last edited by jacquesstrap on Mar 28th, 2022 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2632 posts
1557 upvotes
Ontario
I've used the Alex Plus stuff in our house, my folks place and brothers over the past 10 years, and nothing we have used it on is cracking or coming apart (its not meant for fastening trim to the walls, just crack/gap filling fwiw.) The only thing in one place where my brother didn't paint it, it is yellowing now. This recent job on the hallway we did here, I used the Dynaflex to see how it compared. I'll let ya's know in 5yrs+...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)