Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13356 posts
2253 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Too many anchors for The National!
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4431 posts
1066 upvotes
Sad to see people lose their jobs . But besides a show here and there I never watch the CBC . Other media outlets send a reporter to a press conference . CBC sends 10 reporters .
Inappropriate Content/Behaviour (minor) (2 points)

Filed by Mars2012 on May 21, 2020

Expired — Expires in 90 days

Still in effect .
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10014 posts
2440 upvotes
Winnipeg
cbc docs is probably the best docu channel around.

cbc radio is usually the number 1 ota station in every city. Why? it news based not an ipod shuffle in repeat like most.
Sep 16, 2015
284 posts
549 upvotes
Calgary, AB
CBC radio actually runs news reports. The commercial stations tend to run a standardized 30 second national news piece or Fluffy, Larry and Rabid Dog scan the headlines on CBC and CNN to pull together a brief "news" update that often involves talking about some guy who managed to eat 52 hotdogs in 2 minutes before choking and getting resuscitated by Lassie the Dog. They definitely don't run anything controversial or risky -- let's not dwell on Black Lives Matter or critique political policy, because that might cost ad revenue.

CBC TV actually does investigative journalism and genuinely attempts to cover stories across Canada. You don't usually see 60 minute documentaries about Nunavut on CityTV. ;)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16374 posts
3661 upvotes
Toronto
CBC television is also good for shows like Marketplace, where they can freely trash Bell Canada. Can W5 do that? NO! Because Bell owns CTV! lol
I hope CBC TV never gets privatized.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12813 posts
2163 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
If not for CBC, I may not have heard of Louis Rossman, and he is a funny guy :D .
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9896 posts
1923 upvotes
Victoria
I don't watch CBC much either, but I always felt if we needed to have some Cancon somewhere I'd rather direct public resources at the CBC than keeping giving breaks and protections to Rogers/Bell and CTV/Global etc.. who don't really produce any decent cancon except for the news.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16374 posts
3661 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote: Too many anchors for The National!
The problem started 3 years ago when Peter Mansbridge retired.
Here we are in 2020.
I think they're finally fixing the problem, or at least trying to. https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/c ... e-national

(A major compliment to Peter Mansbridge to need 4 people to replace him in 2017, but still a waste of money! lol)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Jul 7, 2020
284 posts
122 upvotes
Ottawa
It's pure incompetence, typical for a crown corporation that doesn't have to live in reality. They pretty much have a blank cheque from Trudeau and they still can't get their books in order. Nobody watches CBC and yet they get to act like some huge media empire just because their sugar daddies in the Liberal Party continue to spoil them.