• Nov 18th, 2016 12:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2654 posts
1456 upvotes
Richmond

CBC investigates parking tickets, discovers Toronto is the worst city

CBC's Marketplace analyzed more than 15 million tickets given out over the past five years in Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver and Halifax to find out where drivers get ticketed and why.

Toronto: by far the most tickets and most money
Halifax: drivers ticketed most often
Winnipeg: highest fines
Vancouver: middle of the pack
Calgary: big on automated tickets

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/marketp ... -1.3854094
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9090 posts
1240 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Where does it say Toronto is the worst?

From the article...
"The investigation — the most comprehensive analysis of parking ticket data ever done by Canadian media — reveals Winnipeggers are fined the most, while Haligonians are ticketed most often."

Also I'd be willing to bet Montreal trumps the other cities in parking tickets. The parking police is brutal there.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28122 posts
13333 upvotes
Toronto
.... that's why there are tons of toronto parking enforcement officers have made the sunshine list Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8596 posts
2983 upvotes
Mississauga
I bet Toronto also has a lot more people breaking the parking rules, i.e. expired payment ticket, parking where or when they shouldn't, not paying for parking, etc.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16627 posts
6887 upvotes
kenchau wrote: I bet Toronto also has a lot more people breaking the parking rules, i.e. expired payment ticket, parking where or when they shouldn't, not paying for parking, etc.
Hold on a second. You mean you have to do something wrong to get a parking ticket?

I'll never understand why it's a big deal for people to experience the laws being enforced. They should expect it and be happy someone is doing it, otherwise it would be complete chaos.
Penalty Box
Jul 13, 2012
7243 posts
969 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm shocked to hear that Canada's largest city has the most parking tickets issued. I'm willing to bet they have the highest total numbers of murders, sexual assaults and robberies too!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11741 posts
8014 upvotes
Edmonton
ConsoleWatcher wrote: I'm shocked to hear that Canada's largest city has the most parking tickets issued. I'm willing to bet they have the highest total numbers of murders, sexual assaults and robberies too!
Per capita, Toronto was second on the list...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.3856065

Strangely enough, the cities with the highest average fines had the lowest per capita rate of tickets, and vice versa. Who would have figured...

C
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19344 posts
3383 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote: Hold on a second. You mean you have to do something wrong to get a parking ticket?

I'll never understand why it's a big deal for people to experience the laws being enforced. They should expect it and be happy someone is doing it, otherwise it would be complete chaos.
I've been ticketed before when I've been on the legal side of one of those "no parking beyond this point" signs, so following the law can still get you a ticket.

They even make following the law difficult. Has anyone ever tried to figure out some of these Toronto parking signs? Like, WTF does this mean:

Why can't they just move to the LA-style signs?
Apr 21, 2007
116 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa
Piro21 wrote: I've been ticketed before when I've been on the legal side of one of those "no parking beyond this point" signs, so following the law can still get you a ticket.

They even make following the law difficult. Has anyone ever tried to figure out some of these Toronto parking signs? Like, WTF does this mean:

Why can't they just move to the LA-style signs?
You stand there trying to figure out if you're allowed to park and by the time you figure it out and return to your vehicle, there's already a ticket on the windshield.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19100 posts
2042 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Jontsui wrote: You stand there trying to figure out if you're allowed to park and by the time you figure it out and return to your vehicle, there's already a ticket on the windshield.

Dude what? Nonpaying between 7-10am. Parking 10-? Pm.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9090 posts
1240 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Because LA probably actually hired someone to design the signs and test their effectiveness. I assume they also have easier zoning laws than most Canadian cities.

Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1172 posts
520 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote: Because LA probably actually hired someone to design the signs and test their effectiveness. I assume they also have easier zoning laws than most Canadian cities.

LA also marks the corner of the sidewalks with red paint if you cannot park there at any time, and white paint if parking is permitted. Something I found useful.
Apr 21, 2007
116 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa
rsang39 wrote: LA also marks the corner of the sidewalks with red paint if you cannot park there at any time, and white paint if parking is permitted. Something I found useful.
I thought about that too when I was there, but I realized they don't get snow.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19100 posts
2042 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
These cities brow beat people with so many signs and rules in anbattemp to confuse and obfuscate the public. They also givr out erroneous tickets in hopes you just pay and not contest it. Who would when you have to waste a day to get a court date then another to show up in court?