• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2020 4:48 pm
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
685 posts
416 upvotes
GTA

CBC Marketplace: horrible things going on in nursing homes

Not new news, but still heartbreaking to see this happening to vulnerable populations. All without consequence.

22 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1757 posts
786 upvotes
Ontario
I stopped watching Marketplace when they did an "expose" about how rental cars aren't fitted with snow tires for free. Total crap show nowadays.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9897 posts
1924 upvotes
Victoria
I wanna live a long a long time, but not until that point :(

That's pretty rough. Big problem is lack of public facilities. Which will only get worse because government doesn't really have the capacity to deal with the health care needs of the boomer generation as it ages out.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
685 posts
416 upvotes
GTA
eager beaver wrote: I stopped watching Marketplace when they did an "expose" about how rental cars aren't fitted with snow tires for free. Total crap show nowadays.
It could definitely be better, but not sure of other sources for investigative journalism that's doesn't take up a lot of time
[OP]
Sep 3, 2019
685 posts
416 upvotes
GTA
zod wrote: I wanna live a long a long time, but not until that point :(

That's pretty rough. Big problem is lack of public facilities. Which will only get worse because government doesn't really have the capacity to deal with the health care needs of the boomer generation as it ages out.
It's sad to think someone I love and care about or even myself may one day end up in a such a terrible place and don't have the ability to stop such inhumanity and cruelty, the only thing that can be done is to scream, beg and hope for a saviour.

People become this over time. It's unfortunate to think there needs to be consequences to keep PSWs from behaving this way. But even worse is that there are none.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13358 posts
2257 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Haven't watched yet, but a few comments nonetheless...

I think it is ridiculous to expect a cadre of people to serve u for years on end until u expire. U have to recognize that it is unnatural to be living in that kind of condition in the state of nature. It is unsustainable. It takes a lot of time and money. The salaries of care workers should be higher. Family members and society at large are mostly ignorant of the day-to-day realities of what it takes to care for ill people. They are also ignorant about health in general. Look around -- open ur eyes. U r next if u don't change ur ways. But, ppl r very good at deluding and distracting themselves from seeing reality.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2962 posts
2888 upvotes
GTA
Becks wrote: Haven't watched yet, but a few comments nonetheless...

I think it is ridiculous to expect a cadre of people to serve u for years on end until u expire. U have to recognize that it is unnatural to be living in that kind of condition in the state of nature. It is unsustainable. It takes a lot of time and money. The salaries of care workers should be higher. Family members and society at large are mostly ignorant of the day-to-day realities of what it takes to care for ill people. They are also ignorant about health in general. Look around -- open ur eyes. U r next if u don't change ur ways. But, ppl r very good at deluding and distracting themselves from seeing reality.
But that is exactly what you are paying these place to do, that's the business they are in.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1291 posts
1286 upvotes
Becks wrote: Haven't watched yet, but a few comments nonetheless...

Don't understand how you can think that when that's exactly what they are being paid to do. That's the career they have chosen
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6985 posts
1335 upvotes
Scarborough
Or, do what ppl in asia so, stay with family

Get rid of these old people homes.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
2962 posts
2888 upvotes
GTA
apnayloags wrote: Or, do what ppl in asia so, stay with family

Get rid of these old people homes.
That won't work for people that are a danger to themselves or others or in a household with both adults working. What happens if Mom falls or leaves the stove on when no one is home.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5380 posts
2172 upvotes
Toronto
QuicKi7 wrote: It's sad to think someone I love and care about or even myself may one day end up in a such a terrible place and don't have the ability to stop such inhumanity and cruelty, the only thing that can be done is to scream, beg and hope for a saviour.

People become this over time. It's unfortunate to think there needs to be consequences to keep PSWs from behaving this way. But even worse is that there are none.
Look at COVID, for example. Yes, everyone says "oh, so sad" about what happened to long term care residents, but that's about it, unless it's one of your family members affected. Government promises to do better, everyone moves on. Imagine if COVID was deadly to kids rather than the elderly, and it was schools and daycares rather than long term care homes where dozens, hundreds of people died. The response would be very, very different. I know from a personal perspective as well, there's a danger that once you're paying for someone to be taken care of someplace until they die, you might think in some ways they're almost already dead, that sure you go and visit, but they're no longer part of your active life.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1534 posts
901 upvotes
NOYB
I find it interesting when someone says let's do it "the Asian way" - in fact these thoughts cross my mind from time to time too and I think it's great that Canadians are not being narrow minded and are willing to learn from other cultures. However we also need to realize should we decide on that it's not just one element of the society but much of a total change in the social structure and values.

I somewhat believe a balanced way would be a good solution to these issues. Don't count your retiring life all on long term care. Some can act unprofessional or abusive even if they are well paid. Look at some people in university admin, government and medical care.
*Zoomer + VoIP.ms + Lucky Mobile + Public Mobile user* SPEND WISELY

Self banning from the PRC sub, after a member with civility was banned from it without reasonable cause since 11/09/2020
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13358 posts
2257 upvotes
City of Vancouver
HghSsociety wrote: Don't understand how you can think that when that's exactly what they are being paid to do. That's the career they have chosen
Example: Workers r expected to get X amount of work done in a shift, but that amount of work takes double or triple the time. Tasks like feeding someone isn't as simple as u would think, because some residents r not ready to eat, cannot eat the food within the allotted time, want to eat something other than what is served, etc. This time issue also applies to other tasks. In addition, residents may resist/object the careworker. This is why the careworkers have a tough If not impossible job, and they do not have any say about it. That is why a lot of family members go every day to help out their relatives in residence, in effect subsidizing the carehome companies financially.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2008 posts
488 upvotes
In Hiding
This has been happening for a long time, even before the pandemic. My father was assaulted in a LTC home and I had to bring him home so he would not die. CARP and the Ontario LTC Family Council have been fighting to expose the abuse and neglect for many years. For the benefit of parents and children, I am thankful that the military support helped to trigger ongoing investigations. It is time to penalise the for-profit homes and to implement standard certification requirements and psychological tests for healthcare "professionals", especially the PSWs, and also to check for vulnerable persons qualification.
Penalty Box
Jul 13, 2012
7243 posts
969 upvotes
Ottawa
Becks wrote: Example: Workers r expected to get X amount of work done in a shift, but that amount of work takes double or triple the time. Tasks like feeding someone isn't as simple as u would think, because some residents r not ready to eat, cannot eat the food within the allotted time, want to eat something other than what is served, etc. This time issue also applies to other tasks. In addition, residents may resist/object the careworker. This is why the careworkers have a tough If not impossible job, and they do not have any say about it. That is why a lot of family members go every day to help out their relatives in residence, in effect subsidizing the carehome companies financially.
You're right in how difficult it can be. IIRC, care workers for the elderly have the highest rates of assaults against them, followed by nurses.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13358 posts
2257 upvotes
City of Vancouver
One way to help prevent abuse is to have cameras or eyes watching. Abuse can be perpetrated by care workers or family members. You always need checks and balances in place. if a senior lives at home, they should always have different ppl checking in on them Even with children, the school system serves as a check on child abuse and neglect.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2940 posts
320 upvotes
ConsoleWatcher wrote: You're right in how difficult it can be. IIRC, care workers for the elderly have the highest rates of assaults against them, followed by nurses.
True. A nursing student friend of mine had a stint in a home; shitty old people hitting female nurses is pretty common, and an expected part of the job. I totally understand how any of these nurses can get fed up being beat up, because the system doesn't protect them. "They're just old, poor, lonely, etc..." any excuse for their shitty behaviour. Suffice it to say, she declined the offer to return for her following term.

Being old doesn't mean you are given a free pass to assault people, but more people rush to defend these old **** rather than understand that so many of them suck, and beat up on nurses often enough to make them very frustrated. Being assaulted should not be part of the job.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19100 posts
2042 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
eager beaver wrote: I stopped watching Marketplace when they did an "expose" about how rental cars aren't fitted with snow tires for free. Total crap show nowadays.
Shouldn’t that at least warrant a discussion? Snow tires should be mandatory and considering the high mileage nature of a rental service it very much deserves a discussion in the house. This is a very reasonable expectation.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13502 posts
7622 upvotes
Toronto
LeisureSuitL wrote: True. A nursing student friend of mine had a stint in a home; shitty old people hitting female nurses is pretty common, and an expected part of the job. I totally understand how any of these nurses can get fed up being beat up, because the system doesn't protect them. "They're just old, poor, lonely, etc..." any excuse for their shitty behaviour. Suffice it to say, she declined the offer to return for her following term.

Being old doesn't mean you are given a free pass to assault people, but more people rush to defend these old **** rather than understand that so many of them suck, and beat up on nurses often enough to make them very frustrated. Being assaulted should not be part of the job.
you do realize there are people with dementia and other issues that have no idea WTF they're doing right?

Not condoning assaulting anyone nor should anyone have to deal with that in their workplace, but there are possible reasons for it.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19342 posts
3382 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote: Shouldn’t that at least warrant a discussion? Snow tires should be mandatory and considering the high mileage nature of a rental service it very much deserves a discussion in the house. This is a very reasonable expectation.
No no, you don't get it. It's much cheaper and safer for the rental car companies to lose entire cars in crashes during the winter than it is for them to pay a tiny bit of money to equip them properly and safeguard both their investments and customers' lives. Remember, spending a tiny bit of money on literally anything for any reason is communism, and all businesses should be 100% profit with no costs involved. It's like that old saying 'penny foolish, pound wise'.