[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19045 posts
5972 upvotes
Toronto

CBC News to launch streaming (only) channel

CBC News to launch streaming channel with Andrew Chang hosting daily show

CBC News editor in chief Brodie Fenlon said the channel will offer the best of CBC's journalism, with the aim of reaching a younger audience that has migrated to streaming.

"It will include things like The National and other original programs like The Fifth Estate and Marketplace," he said.
"It will include bundled stories that appear across the country and are put together around certain themes and will include some original programs."

SOURCE: https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/c ... -1.6506891
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
8504 posts
7454 upvotes
lol. Almost all segments are on Youtube. Why bother?

Young people now has attention span of typical Tik Tok vid. You can deliver news to them any more.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
4046 posts
2994 upvotes
Calgary
it will essentially just be the same videoclips on youtube, but with their own ad sponsors injected in front of all the videos
teksavvy sucks
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20255 posts
4072 upvotes
Toronto
Why is a taxpayer-funded network displaying ads in the first place? This will likely be the same garbage available from all the other networks, where its 5 minutes of ads before you can get to the 30 seconds of news you're actually trying to see.
Dec 1, 2015
709 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How many young people would actually watch the national or 5th estate?!

I don’t think the platform is the issue
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19045 posts
5972 upvotes
Toronto
Reepicheep wrote: How many young people would actually watch the national or 5th estate?!

I don’t think the platform is the issue
I was wondering the same thing. National is enough of a stretch as is, but 5th estate? I don't ever recall watching that in my life and I'm in my 40's! lol
Marketplace does have high potential though.
Just not over and over again.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10662 posts
2527 upvotes
Victoria
Technically they already stream their existing channels for free via the CBC Gem App (you don't need a sub for the live feeds). Seems kind of an odd thing to make a streaming only channel, generally if you're not going to watch the live feed, you want to watch things on demand.

In regards to commercials.. I think it's because CBC doesn't get enough from government coffers to fund the entire thing. They do need other sources of revenue.

I suppose most of this is moot as I only watch CBC for the odd news broadcast and the olympics every couple of years.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19045 posts
5972 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote: I suppose most of this is moot as I only watch CBC for the odd news broadcast and the olympics every couple of years.
If you don't watch Marketplace, you're missing out on great info...but no worries because Marketplace reruns surface on Youtube anyway, allowing one to watch as desired, freely...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)