Shopping Discussion

CBIUSA - Have you had your stuff shipped to Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2021 5:40 pm
[OP]
Oct 7, 2020
9 posts
4 upvotes

CBIUSA - Have you had your stuff shipped to Canada?

Hey All,

I have a CBIUSA Mailbox, I used to cross into Buffalo on a monthly basis to grab my stuff, shop and head home. I've had stuff sitting there since before the border closed and now I'm starting to think it may be a good idea to get my stuff boxed and shipped to Ontario. Any of you had experience doing that? How did CBIUSA handle your stuff? I apparently need to do the following:

- Create a Commercial Invoice. Never done this.
- Find a shipping carrier to ship my stuff. (NY to Ontario)

If you've been through the task, could give pointers/recommendations?

Really appreciate any help, thanks!!
49 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2161 posts
1565 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
All the information you require is posted on CBI’s FAQ page. First thing you need is determine the weight and dimensions for all your packages consolidated. That will determine whether it’s economical for you to have a single consolidated box shipped with USPS/FedEx/UPS or private carrier. See their site as mentioned and go from there.
[OP]
Oct 7, 2020
9 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks Pacer. Ended up using pirateship.com to handle the USPS shipping, and CBIUSA did the rest. Just waiting for Canada Post to do it's job.
Jan 11, 2014
8 posts
Ajax
Curious to hear how your pirateship experience goes! I'm in same situation. Could you post an update once you get your stuff?
[OP]
Oct 7, 2020
9 posts
4 upvotes
PirateShip was awesome. Very easy to setup, paid by CC, and got my USPS tracking right away, PS walked me through the steps to create all the customs forms needed. Unfortunately I have been waiting for over a month for my package. CBIUSA took a really long time to ship, they seem to be overwhelmed/understaffed. However keeping in mind their circumstances, I didn't have a problem with the wait.

My package was 28"x16"x11", and weighed 7lbs (3.2kgs). My cost with PirateShip, using USPS was USD$53.39 (CAD$67.91).

USPS got the package to Canada in a decent amount of time, Canada Post is now just sitting on it, maybe hoping it's an egg that will hatch, I don't know. My package is in Mississauga right now, chilling, I hope to get it sometime next week. It really sucks that CBIUSA is only 2 hours from me, and its taking over a month to get the package to me. From this point on I will probably use Shippsy, so far they have been very good.

I'll update once I have it in hand.
May 3, 2006
24 posts
5 upvotes
Wondering how exactly you used Pirate Ship to get your packages from the CBI facility to Canada via USPS?
I expect you request CBI to consolidate your items into one package, then CBI prints the USPS label & you create the commercial invoice?
Then you enter the commercial invoice into your Pirate Ship account and request a package pick up at CBI? That's the part I need your guidance on.
The CBI clock starts ticking on storage fees for me in about 3 weeks, so I need to get this figured out soon.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8467 posts
2563 upvotes
Mississauga
It was a costly pain in the butt to do using USPS and having them consolidate. It would be nice if they did things like get standard USPS mailing material to ship at reduced costs to their customers. I'm not going through this again until the border opens.
Oct 15, 2005
242 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
I requested CBI to send my packages to me first week of Jan and they still haven't replied, according to their website they are not taking new requests ATM and definitely not answering the phone.

Not sure what to make of it, but glad to hear some people have received their stuff.
DanR wrote: Wondering how exactly you used Pirate Ship to get your packages from the CBI facility to Canada via USPS?
I expect you request CBI to consolidate your items into one package, then CBI prints the USPS label & you create the commercial invoice?
Then you enter the commercial invoice into your Pirate Ship account and request a package pick up at CBI? That's the part I need your guidance on.
The CBI clock starts ticking on storage fees for me in about 3 weeks, so I need to get this figured out soon.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
[OP]
Oct 7, 2020
9 posts
4 upvotes
@DanR Not a problem i'll give you the steps I went through.

1. Send CBIUSA an email as per their instructions on this page (half way down):

CBIUSA USA to Canada Shipping Info

2. Once CBIUSA sends your package dimensions, its weight and their cost to you, use the CBI package portal to note your packages and ensure you have whats in each package, their cost and approximate weight. You'll need the weight info for USPS and PirateShip to get your shipping cost total.

CBIUSA Portal

3. I used a Commercial Invoice template to build my commercial Invoice. Get the template here:

Commercial Invoice templates.

4. Create a PirateShip account, and set CBI as the sending address:

CBIUSA
1342 Military Rd
PMB xxxx
Niagara Falls NY 14304-1730

Set the SHIP TO address as your Canadian address. You will also need to fill out a customs form on Pirateship.com, the same info you provide in your commercial invoice. They do a good job of walking you through the process.

5. Once you pay Pirateship (used a Canadian CC with no issue) for your USPS package cost, they will provide you with a printable Shipping Label. Save it as a PDF, to email it to CBI along with your commercial invoice. CBI will send you a Paypal pay request, or provide a means for you to pay the CBI fees however you wish.

After all that just wait for CBI to pack up your stuff and ship it. The tracking is all the way to your door, and Pirateship includes insurance for free up to $200 USD on the package while it's en-route in the US. I am not sure they cover it once it's in Canada. It took two weeks to get to me, most of which was Canada Post being well........Canada Post. Hope this makes sense.

Unfortunately, I will NOT be using CBIUSA anytime soon. I have moved over to SHIPPSY, they bring my stuff in, and I can either pick up in Mississauga or Markham, or have them ship it to me via CP for a decent rate. Beats paying the gas and stuff having to drive down to Buffalo and back. So far It's been great, no major issues at all. Get my stuff within 2 weeks.
[OP]
Oct 7, 2020
9 posts
4 upvotes
Avenger wrote: It was a costly pain in the butt to do using USPS and having them consolidate. It would be nice if they did things like get standard USPS mailing material to ship at reduced costs to their customers. I'm not going through this again until the border opens.
Agreed CBI should have this sort of thing in place already. Seems they just don't have the manpower to get it done. Unless there is a need to do so, I am using Shippsy from now on.
[OP]
Oct 7, 2020
9 posts
4 upvotes
MZ_3 wrote: I requested CBI to send my packages to me first week of Jan and they still haven't replied, according to their website they are not taking new requests ATM and definitely not answering the phone.

Not sure what to make of it, but glad to hear some people have received their stuff.
It was a pain for me too. I ignored them (probably not a good idea now) and email them till they responded, it was like 6 weeks before they responded with my stuff. I was patient as they stuff was not urgent, but still it took them too long to respond. Hope you get your stuff soon.
May 3, 2006
24 posts
5 upvotes
Thanks for the guidance guys. Much appreciated.
Today, I sent my request to CBI for consolidation of my 5 packages.
Got an immediate Auto-Response from CBI which was rather strange:

"Due to the Covid 19 situation we are operating with limited staff. We are placing a hold on all new requests. We've tried our best, but are falling further behind with our order fulfilment and it seems to be causing hard feelings with some. We will continue to work on orders already in the que, but cannot guarantee anything at this time. The volume of orders for one person to fulfill in a timely manner is logistically impossible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you."

Based on that, I'm not sure that I'll ever see my parcels now!!!!
[OP]
Oct 7, 2020
9 posts
4 upvotes
DanR wrote: Thanks for the guidance guys. Much appreciated.
Today, I sent my request to CBI for consolidation of my 5 packages.
Got an immediate Auto-Response from CBI which was rather strange:

"Due to the Covid 19 situation we are operating with limited staff. We are placing a hold on all new requests. We've tried our best, but are falling further behind with our order fulfilment and it seems to be causing hard feelings with some. We will continue to work on orders already in the que, but cannot guarantee anything at this time. The volume of orders for one person to fulfill in a timely manner is logistically impossible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you."

Based on that, I'm not sure that I'll ever see my parcels now!!!!
That is a shame. I hope they come out of this still in business. I actually spoke to the owner, and they had to let go the majority of their staff in addition to a devastating death in the family. They are having a rough time. I would suggest Shippsy or another forwarder from this point until CBI is back on their feet. I really hope you get your packages sooner than later.
May 3, 2006
24 posts
5 upvotes
Thanks OP. Yes, I have been using Shippsy since Christmas, which works great for me since I'm only 5 minutes from their Markham location.
I too hope that CBI can recover from this.
For my 5 parcels there, I will be paying $30 CDN per month storage starting in a few weeks.
I'm still hopeful that they can come up with some other solution for us until the border is open again.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2008
1357 posts
946 upvotes
Toronto
Honestly- that whole neighborhood where CBI is located is supported from border crossing. Hopefully the border reopens in the summer.
Aug 29, 2005
663 posts
46 upvotes
Thanks for all the good information. I think I'm going to give Shippsy a try.

I'm also in the same boat. I have a package that's been sitting in CBI warehouse that is coming up for storage fees soon. I'm trying to justify whether it's worth it for me to try and ship it or just wait for the border to open up. Estimated shipping costs are pretty high and at that costs, I could wait another year paying CBI's storage fee until the border reopens. My worry is that CBI might just go bankrupt before the border opens up.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6778 posts
500 upvotes
GT'eh
I feel for Dave and staff at CBI, they just moved to a new location, hopefully things turn around for the US, I will be patient and wait it out, I already prepaid my fees for the next year so I don`t get hit with future fees.
I can't imagine what that area around Military looks like now, since it was mainly supported by tourists and Canadians, i'm sure lots of stores must have shut down and the outlets prolly look like a ghost town.
I much rather drive over over to Niagara since its not that far for me and grab groceries and hit up CBI, I was one of their early first hundred customers at the old location and me & Dave are cool.
Shippsy is just a necessary evil for now, what i've already paid them in the last 12 months would have covered my CBI membership for over 3 years.
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired [email protected] & t3<h [0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<hy lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: eBay|1000+ ??? rFD | 300+
May 3, 2006
24 posts
5 upvotes
A few days ago, I e-mailed CBIUSA to see if curbside pickup was still available. Today (April 29th) I received their answer:

"Please be advised that due to a potential COVID outbreak among the CBI Staff we must temporarily suspend all outbound shipments and curbsite pickups until further notice."
[OP]
Oct 7, 2020
9 posts
4 upvotes
DanR wrote: A few days ago, I e-mailed CBIUSA to see if curbside pickup was still available. Today (April 29th) I received their answer:

"Please be advised that due to a potential COVID outbreak among the CBI Staff we must temporarily suspend all outbound shipments and curbsite pickups until further notice."
OOF..............wow that sucks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)