CBSA duty/taxes/handling reimbursement for Tax Exempt items, HOW-TO

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2017 2:00 pm
Tags:
Aug 7, 2012
82 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Phoenix wrote: Yes you can do that. However there are times that UPS refuses to send the package back to the customs holding warehouse, and the UPS brokerage department then refuses to send me the commercial invoice for the package and so causing me not able to self clearing. What you need is to ask UPS to hold the package in their customs warehouse. Then ask UPS brokerage department to send you the commercial invoice and address for the holding wareshouse for the shipment. Then you go to CBSA office that does commercial clearing. In Toronto, it should be 5425 Dixie Rd. There clear it yourself, if there are any tax/duties pay it and CBSA will provide you with a B15 form. Now call UPS brokerage back and ask how to provide them with the B15 form to prove that you have cleared the customs. They will ask you to fax it to them and once UPS confirmed that they've got the B15 form, they will reschedule the delivery for you. However, like I said I have been screwed up by UPS before when they didn't send the package back to the holding warehouse and then their brokerage department refuses to provide commercial invoice because of that. So it is better that you call them before the package goes through customs to make sure the amount you are suppose to pay is correct and if incorrect, and that UPS refuses to correct it without charging extra fee, ask them to hold it at the customs warehouse and you will do self clear and ask the UPS brokerage to send you the commercial invoice.
i have attempted this several times lol. Its a nightmare. When i first got into this i thought the worst part was going to be driving out to the cbsa office as im in downtown toronto. Nope, trying to get ups to send me the stuff was almost impossible. Most of the time i was told i wasnt allowed to self clear or it was to go back to the border and i was to far away, i didnt have a licensce to self clear....(you name it they told me it). At first i tried email with them (several different addresses, checking junk mail) and nothing came. Then i found that fax worked, all in all ups made it so difficult, i refuse use any company that will ship with them. I no longer purchase from the US mint b/c of this.
Sep 13, 2003
103 posts
2 upvotes
CanuckPower wrote: i have attempted this several times lol. Its a nightmare. When i first got into this i thought the worst part was going to be driving out to the cbsa office as im in downtown toronto. Nope, trying to get ups to send me the stuff was almost impossible. Most of the time i was told i wasnt allowed to self clear or it was to go back to the border and i was to far away, i didnt have a licensce to self clear....(you name it they told me it). At first i tried email with them (several different addresses, checking junk mail) and nothing came. Then i found that fax worked, all in all ups made it so difficult, i refuse use any company that will ship with them. I no longer purchase from the US mint b/c of this.
Arrr so true. UPS even asks for $10 to correct mistakes that they make. I once had a package coming with less than $15 of HST charge but should have been tax free. Called them and they say well we can correct it but you will have to pay $10 of document correction fee to correct it, so it's probably not worth it to do it. (Yep that not worth it to do it came out of their own mouth.) Gosh they sure are prepared to charge you. So in the end, I just sent the casual HST adjustment form to CBSA to get the HST back and let UPS collect their COD and brokerage processing fee. I try to avoid them like the plague too.

Regular postal with CBSA, yes they have their mistakes, but honestly I have no quarrel with them, if you ever really look at the HS tariff code system you will understand just how big of a coding system it is and it is next to impossible for a regular person working there (not with a passion but just for a cheque) to actually know that much of the system so not to make mistakes. So incorrect classification does happen. But so far one stamp is all it costs to get whatever that is rightfully yours back, may it be duty, or tax, or processing fees. Otherwise may not feel that way, but compare to UPS, our Canadian government is not doing such a bad job at all.
Phoenix
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2012
4926 posts
408 upvotes
Gloucester, Canada
This is a bit of a stupid question but I'll asked anyway. On my CBSA form, it classified the package as "7326909099 Metal, Articles of NES / Fe" should I checked 6(c)? as it is not 7118900099 Coin, other than gold or Canadian, being legal tender, N.E.S.
Zoomer Wireless & Public Mobile customer
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1394 posts
285 upvotes
Quebec City
Lostwords wrote: This is a bit of a stupid question but I'll asked anyway. On my CBSA form, it classified the package as "7326909099 Metal, Articles of NES / Fe" should I checked 6(c)? as it is not 7118900099 Coin, other than gold or Canadian, being legal tender, N.E.S.
Correct.
The reason why the item has been taxed here is because it's incorrectly classified. So indicates the correct HS code (7118900099 in that case) and don't forget to clearly states in the section 7 that the goods are duty/tax exempt, because it's fine precious metal and it's purity is 99.5% (or 99.9% for silver). Just don't assume they will link the code with a duty/tax-free item... you have to tell them how to do their job! Sad but true!
Jan 11, 2009
646 posts
526 upvotes
Toronto
Phoenix wrote: Yes you can do that. However there are times that UPS refuses to send the package back to the customs holding warehouse, and the UPS brokerage department then refuses to send me the commercial invoice for the package and so causing me not able to self clearing. What you need is to ask UPS to hold the package in their customs warehouse. Then ask UPS brokerage department to send you the commercial invoice and address for the holding wareshouse for the shipment. Then you go to CBSA office that does commercial clearing. In Toronto, it should be 5425 Dixie Rd. There clear it yourself, if there are any tax/duties pay it and CBSA will provide you with a B15 form. Now call UPS brokerage back and ask how to provide them with the B15 form to prove that you have cleared the customs. They will ask you to fax it to them and once UPS confirmed that they've got the B15 form, they will reschedule the delivery for you. However, like I said I have been screwed up by UPS before when they didn't send the package back to the holding warehouse and then their brokerage department refuses to provide commercial invoice because of that. So it is better that you call them before the package goes through customs to make sure the amount you are suppose to pay is correct and if incorrect, and that UPS refuses to correct it without charging extra fee, ask them to hold it at the customs warehouse and you will do self clear and ask the UPS brokerage to send you the commercial invoice.
does the dixie rd location still do this - gonna go there tomorrow and get my $40 cash grab by ups taken care off - also will the officer over there know what to do - i dont have much time and dont want to spend an hour explaing stuff to them
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
19256 posts
7654 upvotes
Toronto
Just got my cheque for the Perth Mint shipment duties that were charged...I was charged $47.75, but only got $39.25 returned...Any reason why they didn't return the $8.50 brokerage fee by Canada Post?

How do I contact them for the brokerage fee?

Also these idiots mis spelled my name...

For my first name...they put only the first letter of my first name....

For my last name...instead of putting Singh....they put STingh...they capitalized the T after the S as well :facepalm:

Will the bank even accept the cheque?
Real Estate Agent, MAcc, CPA, CA
Partner Level Donor with the Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20880 posts
5455 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Thanks OP. I have used B2G before to get the taxes back on an item I ordered and then returned.
TIPIT wrote: Brokerage fees are always a loss... I heard you can refuse the UPS, FedEx or other fees and ask them to "not do the paperwork" for you, and you will take care of the declaration yourself, but not sure how it works.
You can avoid brokerage fees but it takes some work on your end.
My blog discusses it in detail. Make sure you read the comments near the bottom from "Andy".
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2006
1765 posts
241 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
deal_with_singh wrote: Just got my cheque for the Perth Mint shipment duties that were charged...I was charged $47.75, but only got $39.25 returned...Any reason why they didn't return the $8.50 brokerage fee by Canada Post?

For my last name...instead of putting Singh....they put STingh...they capitalized the T after the S as well :facepalm:

Deposit it in an ATM
They are more forgiving there.
FS: Superman Vintage: Issue Price + Shipping
FS: 39mm, 41mm and 44mm Royal Canadian Mint Maroon Coin Clamshells
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2012
4926 posts
408 upvotes
Gloucester, Canada
deal_with_singh wrote: For my last name...instead of putting Singh....they put STingh...they capitalized the T after the S as well :facepalm:
At least it is not Stink.... I laugh when I read it. How long does it takes for the refund?? I think for one of mine, I forgot to Sign the darn thing!!!! :cry:
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
19256 posts
7654 upvotes
Toronto
Lostwords wrote: At least it is not Stink.... I laugh when I read it. How long does it takes for the refund?? I think for one of mine, I forgot to Sign the darn thing!!!! :cry:
I sent mine out on August 20th, received it today, September 20th. So exactly 1 month :D ...Still pissed they didn't give me the $8.50 brokerage fee back! Anyone have their number? (I sent it to the scarborough office)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1394 posts
285 upvotes
Quebec City
deal_with_singh wrote: Just got my cheque for the Perth Mint shipment duties that were charged...I was charged $47.75, but only got $39.25 returned...Any reason why they didn't return the $8.50 brokerage fee by Canada Post?

Have you clearly written the total amount requested? i.e. "Refund amount: xxx.xx$ (including handling fees)" with the text "including handling fees"?
As I said, you really have to write EVERYTHING, like if the one who will read your request is in kindergarten!!

As for the cheque, I wouldn't worry very much. For a small amount like this, the verification is near to nothing.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2006
1765 posts
241 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
TIPIT wrote: Have you clearly written the total amount requested? i.e. "Refund amount: xxx.xx$ (including handling fees)" with the text "including handling fees"?
As I said, you really have to write EVERYTHING, like if the one who will read your request is in kindergarten!!

As for the cheque, I wouldn't worry very much. For a small amount like this, the verification is near to nothing.
I did specify it.
Even then they didn't refund me the $8.50 brokerage fee.
Not sure how to proceed.
FS: Superman Vintage: Issue Price + Shipping
FS: 39mm, 41mm and 44mm Royal Canadian Mint Maroon Coin Clamshells
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
19256 posts
7654 upvotes
Toronto
TIPIT wrote: Have you clearly written the total amount requested? i.e. "Refund amount: xxx.xx$ (including handling fees)" with the text "including handling fees"?

whatchamacallit wrote: I did specify it.
Even then they didn't refund me the $8.50 brokerage fee.
Not sure how to proceed.
Yep I did clearly mention the total requested amount of $47.75 and not $39.25 that I got refunded.

I called the scarborough location and spoke to an agent who did my claim. She stated the brokerage fee is only refunded if there is no * beside something, as that indicates this as "priority postage" or something along those lines, and she said we cannot refund the brokerage part of it, they only refund that when it comes through standard mail.

I shrugged it off, gave canada post a call, and within 2 minutes got my refund cheque issued. Got it in the mail today, a cheque for $8.50 from Canada Post
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2012
4926 posts
408 upvotes
Gloucester, Canada
deal_with_singh wrote: I shrugged it off, gave canada post a call, and within 2 minutes got my refund cheque issued. Got it in the mail today, a cheque for $8.50 from Canada Post
so how did you go about in getting your money back from Canada post?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
19256 posts
7654 upvotes
Toronto
This time my Perth Mint package was labelled as 9705000090 and taxed....This tariff code is described as Coins, Imported for collecting

Description is fairly close to what it should be, what are the chances I get denied a refund?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
19256 posts
7654 upvotes
Toronto
As requested...heres some instructions on how I got the brokerage fee back from CP:
What I did to get the rebate:
1) Call the 1800 number
2) They will ask you for two things:
a) Tracking number to look up the file
b) Claim cheque/case reference number which can be found on the stub the cheque was attached to

3) They confirm using those two things the total that you paid, and the total you got back, and will reimburse you the brokerage fee within a couple days (not a couple months like the cbsa takes!).

Also, they don't care about the documents, just the document numbers .
Aug 7, 2012
82 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
i havent got anything back from any of my requests for refund. how long does this take process take 3-4 months?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
19256 posts
7654 upvotes
Toronto
CanuckPower wrote: i havent got anything back from any of my requests for refund. how long does this take process take 3-4 months?
If its been more than 2 months...chances are your claim has been misplaced.
Aug 7, 2012
82 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
deal_with_singh wrote: If its been more than 2 months...chances are your claim has been misplaced.
all of them lol? though i wouldn't be surprised.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2012
4926 posts
408 upvotes
Gloucester, Canada
It was about a month for one of my refund and about a month and half for my second refund. You might want to give them a call to follow up on it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)